Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of 20-50mb broadband?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Lol , pings would be woefull!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

Magnets FTTH 8MB service gives you almost 20MB, kinda weird but not complaining hehe, download speeds vary between 1.4MBps and 2MBps

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

contention ratio is important
    20Mb on 48:1 might not be asmuch fun as 2Bm uncontended and some ISP's lump the warez monkeys into the same ports

8Mb uncontended would be sweet

Cap is very important too. on 20Mb you could hit a daily cap 1GB in about 15 minutes. Back in the days in Sweden IIRC people were not taking 100Mb because the 10Mb they had didn't have a cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

My first post but thought i should comment on UPC's recent upgrade of my area they replaced most of the cabling round here and changed a lot of the recievers on peoples houses.

The other thing has anyone noticed UPC's recent digital for all campaign.
    If they manage to switch of their analog service it will open up a lot of extra bandwith and should hopefully stop the analog interfering with the digital tv signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mikeymay

fibre connections are the way forward .i have a 50mb down and 50 mb upload connection now and it rocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

lmao, 20 or 50? youre lucky to even get a 2/3Mb connection that works. Im sure we'll have 70% coverage of 20Mb in Dublin/Cork by 2020

only have 50mb up and down becuse i know someone who works for a isp . gonna get my static ip tweaked too 100MB next , may not notice the difference though from 50MB . gret thing about the fibre is the symetric speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

pics please :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

mikeymay wrote: »
    fibre connections are the way forward .i have a 50mb down and 50 mb upload connection now and it rocks

:eek:.......me.......want.......now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

To your office I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I call Bull, there are very few places in Dublin with a MUX capable of those speeds.

no not office . to my home . and before u say its bull have a look into fibre technology first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Cozey

Magnet broadband is 50 mb up 50mb down .. 95 euro a month with 56 tv and radio channels .. only works with fibre wired houses and apartments ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Lol haven't seen this thread before. Interesting to see all the posts from just a few months ago saying that UPC/NTL will never roll out faster broadband because "their network isn't capable of it". Where do these 'experts' get their info from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

rc28 wrote: »
    Where do these 'experts' get their info from?

You have to bear in mind that these are message board experts. Anonymous, self-appointed, know some buzzwords, have a little knowledge and love to spout their expertise.

One of them has also recently become an expert on transport :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

BendiBus wrote: »
    You have to bear in mind that these are message board experts. Anonymous, self-appointed, know some buzzwords, have a little knowledge and love to spout their expertise.

One of them has also recently become an expert on transport :pac:

I was about to post similar! The thing is, I used to really respect those posts and take a lot of what was said as gospel, this thread has changed my mind. :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    NTL operate in the same big cities and would have to respond, they have not led the market on speeds and performance since the early days of BB in Ireland .
    Its not 800mhz cable like in many modern (post 1980) deployments in developed countries, In Ireland its cheap and nasty crap in the main. To make it worse its OLD cheap and nasty crap left to the elements in the wettest country in Europe .

It was only really designed to carry the 4 UK channels extant in 1990 FFS

The laws of physics will prevent any widescale leveraging of Docsis 2 while the thing will probably explode at Docsis 3 bitrates !
    My position is that UPC will follow eircom and will not lead, don't answer that

I think SB has a lot of apologising to do to DingDong.

BTW DingDong well done to you and UPC on the great work, keep up the great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hmm...So where do I need to move to in order to get super fast broadband at an affordable price? I would have assumed anywhere but Ireland up to now.....

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

rc28 wrote: »
    Lol haven't seen this thread before. Interesting to see all the posts from just a few months ago saying that UPC/NTL will never roll out faster broadband because "their network isn't capable of it". Where do these 'experts' get their info from?

I think they are mostly just full of it. UPC are excellent having used them now for a year, and they seem quite happy to remain competitive and to push the market.

A year ago, you could max 6Mbit.

Now, you can get 20Mbit cable, 24Mbit ADSL2 and 50Mbit with fibre. Of course , not every service will be available in all areas. This is no different to any other country. Newer developments and more urban developments will have access to more up to date and modern services than rural and older.

That is fantastic progress in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I think i might have 1mb bb by 2050

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Unfortunately there still seems to be a lot of 'blackspots' in Dublin and as somebody posted earlier the older parts of the city may suffer most due to old cabling.

I rang them twice in the last couple of days asking about Kilmainham (for myself) and Harolds Cross (for a friend) both are no nos for bb. Apparently some areas of HC are ok but not the one where the friend is.

Having been a regular critic of their customer service for many years I have to praise the two girls I spoke to with my queries - they were very helpful and were obviously very anxious to give me the correct information and did not give any false promises about when upgrades might be carried out.

They should get rid of their 'upbeat' no one available to take you call message though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dub45 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there still seems to be a lot of 'blackspots' in Dublin and as somebody posted earlier the older parts of the city may suffer most due to old cabling.

Kinda like Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Zoobie

I was told the same about 2 months ago - digital TV was available but not BB.

Then about 2 weeks ago, an engineer knocked in to tell us they were upgrading the cable in the area (Dublin 6). He said it'll still be a few weeks before it's live but it looks like they are upgrading areas of Dublin where the cable is old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Exactly what I said, UPC s a very mixed bag of a network with some woeful crap passing as cable . I will nevertheless do what BK told me to do and say

1. Sorry DingDong
    2. Well done DingDong

and would further observe that DingDong and I have never exchanged a cross word.

Oh and BK you selectively quoted this from a post ISTR I made on VDSL

"Originally Posted by Sponge Bob viewpost.gif
    NTL operate in the same big cities and would have to respond, they have not led the market on speeds and performance since the early days of BB in Ireland ."

That was absolutely correct when I said it a year or maybe nearer two years back and not recently , pls clarify that ta , I don't decontextualise your posts .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That was absolutely correct when I said it a year or maybe nearer two years back and not recently , pls clarify that ta , I don't decontextualise your posts

You said it 7 months ago.

You said it 7 months ago.

So it was only absolutely correct from 2003 - 2008 then , NTL did not lead the market "on speeds and performance" during that time and were pretty the only provider before that time and only available in parts Tallaght for years .

They did lead the market on PRICE which is not the same thing !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Exactly what I said, UPC s a very mixed bag of a network with some woeful crap passing as cable . I will nevertheless do what BK told me to do and say

1. Sorry DingDong
    2. Well done DingDong

and would further observe that DingDong and I have never exchanged a cross word.

Oh and BK you selectively quoted this from a post ISTR I made on VDSL

"Originally Posted by Sponge Bob viewpost.gif
    NTL operate in the same big cities and would have to respond, they have not led the market on speeds and performance since the early days of BB in Ireland ."

That was absolutely correct when I said it a year or maybe nearer two years back and not recently , pls clarify that ta , I don't decontextualise your posts .

When you think back a bit if NTL had not reneged on their promises about expansion of the network the state of bb would be far different now as competition would have been 'real' then rather than now!

That promise was made at the end of the .com era Dub45 in fairness .

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2000/10/01/story609752138.asp
    The Dublin areas of Tallaght, Coolock and Clondalkin will be the first switched on to NTL's new bundled packages of cable television, cheaper telephone calls and unlimited internet access.

Not sure if Coolock or Clondalkin were ever done TBH , this was the HFC high quality cable rollout .
    The process is expected to take three years and is costing about £300 million.

Followed a few weeks later by

http://www.iolfree.ie/~icdg/news_140201a.htm
    Jeffers' resignation had been expected for some weeks, ever since NTL Group decided to divert funds from NTL Ireland to its other operations, and prospone the rollout of new services here.

and then a year later

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1975874.stm
    According to documents submitted to a bankruptcy court in New York, where NTL is based, the company has $16.8bn (£12bn) in assets and debts amounting to $23.4bn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Apology excepted Sponge Bob ;). Although no need at the time things may not of looked too bright from the outside in. SB may of thought from previous owners of the cable networks in Ireland it would be more of the same. He made a prediction UPC would follow eircom and got it wrong. I don't see anything wrong with that.

dub45 like SB said NTL wouldn't have stop the upgrade process if they had the option they were lucky at the time not to go totally belly up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Apparently some areas of HC are ok but not the one where the friend is.

Where abouts in HC are they? We were lucky to be eligible for UPC in HC just on the canal.

Advertisement