Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please Take a quick look for me?

Options
  • 15-02-2008 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All,

I planned to buy a new car after July this year Because of the New VRT rate. Following cars seems like my choices.
    OMSP 1 July
    1 BMW 118D 25910 Euro
    2 Opel Astra sport hatch 1.7 CDTI 21866 Euro
    3 Mini Cooper D 21181 Euro

Like the BMW but it is a little bit over my buget.icon6.gif
    Opel looks nice but I am afaid of the huge DEPRECATION!! icon8.gif
    Mini is really good to drive, but its a bit small....icon9.gif

Confusing .......icon11.gif

Which one should I go for???
    BTW, Its only 4000 euro different between the BMWs and OPELs.. Just wondering most people would like spend extra 4K and go for the BMW. Am I correct?

Any advise???????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

If you're lookin for a car that will hold its value the mini should do that brilliantly.I know that the 1 series is not a good car as cars go but that really is'nt that much for a brand new BMW, good car or not.Personally i'd get the astra but i'd also look into the 1.9 cdti engines.You may not pay a whole lot more and get a lot more go.Although i'm sure that the 1.7 is prob more than adequate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Only you can decide, cars are an individual choice. One thing I would say - if money is an important factor then don't just look at purchase price, look at the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). How much will the loan repayments, insurance, tax and running costs be and how much will the car depreciate?

I don't know the cars you mentioned that well (though did have a 116 (or a 118? can't rem) as a courtesy car) but I would guess the MINI will hold it's value more than the others? How often will you need to carry 4 adults? If not very then it's probably the one I'd buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lidbd

Zonda999 wrote: »
    If you're lookin for a car that will hold its value the mini should do that brilliantly.I know that the 1 series is not a good car as cars go but that really is'nt that much for a brand new BMW, good car or not.Personally i'd get the astra but i'd also look into the 1.9 cdti engines.You may not pay a whole lot more and get a lot more go.Although i'm sure that the 1.7 is prob more than adequate

Thanks for the reply :)
    The Opel just not keeps is value well......But I like the looks of it.

Only you can decide, cars are an individual choice. One thing I would say - if money is an important factor then don't just look at purchase price, look at the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). How much will the loan repayments, insurance, tax and running costs be and how much will the car depreciate?

I don't know the cars you mentioned that well (though did have a 116 (or a 118? can't rem) as a courtesy car) but I would guess the MINI will hold it's value more than the others? How often will you need to carry 4 adults? If not very then it's probably the one I'd buy.

Cheers Amadeus. You are dead right , I really should look into the Total cost of the ownership as Money somehow will be a big factory to me...
    I am living in maynooth now and have to drive to dublin everyday for work..want to have a desiel car coz it will save me a few euro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

lidbd wrote: »
    want to have a desiel car coz it will save me a few euro :)

Do your sums on that to. The old rule of thumb was that you needed to be doing in excess of 15,000 miles per year to save money by running a diesel car. This is because they usually cost more to run and (at least used to) have shorter service intervals, which offsets the greater efficiency. You can claim back the VAT on diesel (but not petrol) if you are self employed though.

But as I said it's not my area so things may have changed with modern diesels and the new VRT system, so whatever you do don't take my word for it!

• Advertisement

Do your sums on that to. The old rule of thumb was that you needed to be doing in excess of 15,000 miles per year to save money by running a diesel car. This is because they usually cost more to run and (at least used to) have shorter service intervals, which offsets the greater efficiency. You can claim back the VAT on diesel (but not petrol) if you are self employed though.

But as I said it's not my area so things may have changed with modern diesels and the new VRT system, so whatever you do don't take my word for it!

Hi Amadeus.

I've just done 30k miles for the past two years as I've spent half of my time out side the office with Clients. I am now looking for a new job and I am not self-empleyed.
    From your advise. I should buy a petrol car instead of desiel in this case if I only do less than 10k mile per year in the future??icon7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

1.7L engine in the Opel is an Isuzu engine, and the 1.9L is a Fiat engine AFAIK.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    1.7L engine in the Opel is an Isuzu engine, and the 1.9L is a Fiat engine AFAIK.

Hi Max,

Non of both engine are good I assume?? Am I correct??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

AFAIK that 1.9, albeit a fiat engine is a good one.Remember its the same engine as a saab 93 or alfa 159.No reliability concerns i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The Isuzu engine is very reliable, although it is old technology by today's standards. As a result it is not as powerful as it's modern day rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

both the isuzu (based) Opel engine and the Fiat Multijet 1.9 are very robust.

So I don't have to worry about the reliabilty of those two engine?? As the price won't be a huge different between them. So which One should I go for???

Also what about that 1.3 CDTI Engine? I believed it comes from FIAT As Well? How is the reliability on this Engine? Less power??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've driven a few cars with the 1.3 engine (Opel Corsa and Astra, Lancia Musa, Fiat Punto) and it feels a lot bigger than it is. Heard good things about it reliability wise

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.3 diesel Astra has 90bhp whereas the 1.7 diesel only has 10bhp more. 1.7 has slightly more torque though. Come July both should cost around the same to tax. I would opt for the 1.3 or stretch to the more powerful 1.9 if going for an Astra.

Of the others if you don't need the space then I'd go for the MINI One D, it will hold it's resale value very well and it is alot of fun to drive.

Advertisement