Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

device for knowing how far you have run

• 16-02-2008 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if a device exists for knowing how far you have run over a certain amount of distance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can get a GPS watch.

The Garmin Forerunner series are quite popular.

You can also get various accelerometer based gadgets but I think the GPS is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/main/index.do

If you have a compatible nokia of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Deliaquad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike%2BiPod

Have to give this a thumbs up. Cost me about 35 yo-yos, plus the ipod nano. Its accuracy is about +/- 5% off true, but can be calibrated for more precision. Works well in woodland and under tree cover where the garmin etc. can sometimes lose its signal, and you get a soundtrack to your run!

-Delia Quad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fatboyslim

Yeah the Garmin are pretty good.

http://www.amphibianking.ie/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=27&products_id=103

Not great though if you're running through a pretty built up area or forest runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Deliaquad wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike%2BiPod

Have to give this a thumbs up. Cost me about 35 yo-yos, plus the ipod nano. Its accuracy is about +/- 5% off true, but can be calibrated for more precision. Works well in woodland and under tree cover where the garmin etc. can sometimes lose its signal, and you get a soundtrack to your run!

-Delia Quad

+1, sure who doesn't have an ipod at this stage?
    OK, it's not 100% accurate but it's a great tool and at €35 is great value. You don't have to buy the Nike shoes, you can use your own runners and buy a case for it cheap on ebay.
    Paula Radcliffe and Lance Armstrong give you congratulations if you beat your time or hit some record, eg 500km.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

For a cheaper solution, you could just measure your run on www.gmap-pedometer.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

I was wondering if a device exists for knowing how far you have run over a certain amount of distance

I use a polar 625X find it very good on all terrains, no gps signal to loose as it uses foot pod technology. Accuracy is excellent once calibrated. Oddly enough though when running with an injury or a stiff muscle which I guess I shouldn't do anyway and it gives some funny measurements I guess due to irregular striding. But overall I find it excellent and very user friendly, good for recording all your training stats, distances, altitudes for hill runs, heart rate etc. when combined with a PC or Lap Top it is easy to maintain a journal of all your runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

You could use a trundle wheel to map out a course for yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

http://walking.about.com/library/walk/blgooglemap1.htm

Another cheap DIY option - have to say having used this one a bit here and overseas, it seems to be particularly accurate.

My other approach is to measure out different running routes around my locality of 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 15, and 18 miles. Then depending on my "mood", I just pick the distance I want to do - if I do one of the shorter ones and feel like going further, then I just do 2 "laps".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

you can always plan your route distance beforehand or measure after with http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1656872

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

www.mapmyrun.com also good for ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dlane99

micmclo wrote: »
    +1, sure who doesn't have an ipod at this stage?
    OK, it's not 100% accurate but it's a great tool and at €35 is great value. You don't have to buy the Nike shoes, you can use your own runners and buy a case for it cheap on ebay.
    Paula Radcliffe and Lance Armstrong give you congratulations if you beat your time or hit some record, eg 500km.:)

+1 aswell.
    i use it a lot,
    the website is class for tracking / sharing goals.
    last time i logged in i got a big pop up congradulating me for logging 100 miles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi,

I use a garmin forerunner which was pricey but worth every cent. I run for the most part in the hills and forests and I find it accurate despite this. You could get lost in the amount of stats that are available from your run. I use it for the basics; speed, distance and ascents achieved. I had a polar 625x but I could never get a proper accuracy with the foot pod and it stayed in the drawer for the most part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

How much would one of these gadgets cost and where would I buy one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 slogger

Bought my nike one in runways in parnell st.

How much would one of these gadgets cost and where would I buy one?

ipod nano is 149-199 on apple.ie , free engraving and free shipping.
    sports kit is about 30euro.
    you need a lacelid to stick the sensor on your runner if you dont have nike+ runners, about 8e on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

You'll pick up a basic Garmin quite cheaply on ebay (probably around 100 euro). The 201 is a good model, and has everything you would probably need except heart rate monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

I use the iPod mini with the sports kit. While it's not entirely accurate I use it all the time and find it handy to have reminders each mile or so. The only problem I have is now that I've run more than 500km with it Paula Radcliffe comes on to congratulate for reaching this target at the end of each run! Anyone know how to switch this off?

robbicosta wrote: »
    I use the iPod mini with the sports kit. While it's not entirely accurate I use it all the time and find it handy to have reminders each mile or so. The only problem I have is now that I've run more than 500km with it Paula Radcliffe comes on to congratulate for reaching this target at the end of each run! Anyone know how to switch this off?

some people opn this site have had the same problem,
    the guy at the end said that she quit after about 550 miles,
    maybe itl finish for you after 550km?

Im just impressed that it lasts this long,
    i had read that the batt in the sensor dies, i though it'd die before 500km.
    you still on your first sensor?
    How long have you had it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

I'm nearly 600k at this stage. Maybe when I reach 500 miles it will go. Will be running at least 200 before London but don't use the footpod all the time.

I've had the pod since last June and it's never caused me a problem. I also have a polar footpod which I got for Christmas. The nike one is often more accurate although my polar pod hasn't been calibrated properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Got my garmin 305 here...

http://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin-forerunner-305

At 279euros it is not cheap by a long way, but its the bees knees.

If I was buying again I'd go for the 205 as I don't really use the Heart Rate Monitor thingy.

Advertisement