Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused about downgrading a computer OS

• 16-02-2008 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I wonder if somebody could take a minute to read the FAQs in this pdf (one page, the FAQs are just a few paragraphs)?

The part I don't understand is
    Q. Where do customers get the CD to install the downgrade software?
    A. End users must use a legally licensed version of the specified version of the Windows desktop operating system to install the downgrade software. The downgrade must be from the retail, OEM/System Builder, or volume licesing channels.
    I bought the computer from Dell who refuse to provide me with an XP media kit. I don't have a volume licence. So, I have to purchase a full version of XP. Where, then, is the downgrade rights they sold me when I bought Vista Business OEM?:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Vista Business is allowed to be downgraded to XP Professional for free afaik (Including OEM versions), you may have to contact microsoft though and its probably a tedious proccess, btw make sure you can get drivers for your dell in xp, especially if its a laptop this may be difficult

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

My understanding of it is you just need a genuine XP Pro disc (which you could borrow) and use the Vista product key you already have during install. It will fail activation so you have to activate it over the phone.

After all, it's not free downgrade if you have to buy the second OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

But where is it that I get the media?

A. Retail - €350.
    B. Volume licence - don't have.
    C. Dell - said no, as usual.

shayser wrote: »
    But where is it that I get the media?

A. Retail - €350.
    B. Volume licence - don't have.
    C. Dell - said no, as usual.

As I said earlier, borrow it from a friend if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

kaizersoze wrote: »
    My understanding of it is you just need a genuine XP Pro disc (which you could borrow) and use the Vista product key you already have during install. It will fail activation so you have to activate it over the phone.

After all, it's not free downgrade if you have to buy the second OS.
    I read elsewhere (can't find the link now) where MS said a big no no to a user who went this route. Think I'll do the install, see how I get on with MS, then go back to Vista if it doesn't work out.

Edit: Sheesh we're posting at the same time! Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement

Don't spoil them with information when you ring, just say you want to activate your copy of Windows. Make sure you ring the freephone number listed in the activation wizard and no other.

Advertisement