Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSOD-Just had one, what next to do?

• 16-02-2008 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi just had a Blue screen of Death an hour ago, i left the pc off for 40 mins, as it was telling me to restart the pc & do the following if you see it again.

Thank god it didnt, as i wouldnt have been able to post here, but a similar problem happened about a month ago (& couldnt post) as the error i got - it was missing a dll file, but i had to get it seen to as only that screen would come up & nothing else. I asked could it be the HardDrive? he said maybe if it happens a lot over the next few months.

So what next to do, as i really cant remember the error that came up as there was a lot to read on the (blue) screen.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

was it hal.dll by any chance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Just check the Windows events log, it will tell you exactly why it crashed and what file caused the issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mick.fr wrote: »
    Just check the Windows events log, it will tell you exactly why it crashed and what file caused the issue.
    :rolleyes:
    if only it was that easy

if only it was that easy

BSOD are reported within the event log and will show up which error code has been generated.
    Analyzing debug log (The memory dump) would be a bit more complicated for sure but the event log is a good starting point. Many times you can solve BSOD issues with your error ID.

I suppose this is the debug mode you had in mind when you replied, to such statement I would agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

Anti wrote: »
    was it hal.dll by any chance ?

Yeah that happened the first time, but doing a search i see it's happened twice over the last month, is it a big thing (big or small will do as an answer as i got the pc repaired)
    if only it was that easy

Oh god i wish it was :(
    BSOD are reported within the event log and will show up which error code has been generated.
    Analyzing debug log (The memory dump) would be a bit more complicated for sure but the event log is a good starting point.

I suppose this is the debug mode you had in mind when you replied, to such statement I would agree.
    Many times you can solve BSOD issues with your error ID.

AFAIK It said something about unequal... as it just happened so quickly & not that i want to see it again for a reference, but i cant remember the rest sorry if that doesnt help.

But to help me make it clearer, could you tell me where to find it, is it in Program files or somewhere else as i could locate it if i knew where it is.

Thanks, as a little help & kindness on this path (no pun intended) it'll go a long way to helping yourself.:)

• Advertisement

On XP, assuming this is the one you use:
    Right click on "My computer" icon, then "Manage"
    Once the console is opened, expand "System Tools", then "Event Viewer".
    Search on "System" the day/moment you had this BSOD. You should find a small exclamation mark icon (Error) on the right panel with the details.
    Open it up, check for the details, google the event id on www.eventid.net for example.
    You should also have something like:
    "Faulty module, *.dll," etc..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

start
    run
    eventvwr

look in system

if you are running xp or vista you can clicking on the link should take you to a page on micosoft's site

If you only had two in the last month then probably not hardware unless you are really unlucky. Can be caused by dodgy memory , failing hard drive, badly written software (lots) , corrupt registry, dumb luck or phases of the moon.
    BSOD's are not as comman as they used to be, 3 a day on windows 3.11 wasn't uncommon, with 95/98 few of the 100,000,000 users noticed that windows crashed like clockwork after 49.7 days

have you changed anything on the system recently ?

On XP, assuming this is the one you use:
    Right click on "My computer" icon, then "Manage"
    Once the console is opened, expand "System Tools", then "Event Viewer".
    Search on "System" the day/moment you had this BSOD. You should find a small exclamation mark icon (Error) on the right panel with the details.
    Open it up, check for the details, google the event id on www.eventid.net for example.

Yeah its Windows XP version 5.1 SP2

There was a lot of errors i noticed, but maybe only simple one's?
    & i hope i've put this together right as someone can advise me on the importance of them.

I checked on the day of the BSOD & checked out the event id, here's what it said =
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: System Error
    Event Category: (102)
    Event ID: 1003
    Date: 2/16/2008
    Time: 12:23:25 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: RASHERS
    Description:
    Error code 000000d1, parameter1 c8383800, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 f6374d0a.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
    0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
    0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
    0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 64 000000d
    0020: 31 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 1 Param
    0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 63 38 eters c8
    0030: 33 38 33 38 30 30 2c 20 383800,
    0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 32 00000002
    0040: 2c 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 , 000000
    0048: 30 30 2c 20 66 36 33 37 00, f637
    0050: 34 64 30 61 4d0a

& on EventID.Net
    Checking on the comments below on the page i remember seeing this on the BSOD - "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
    & on Windows support link.

You should find a small exclamation mark icon (Error) on the right panel with the details.

Thats all i found out, but i did check the properties of the other events on that day & the only other *.dll file i found was here:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: SideBySide
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 59
    Date: 2/16/2008
    Time: 2:32:02 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\DivX\DivX

Converter\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\MFC80U.DLL. Reference error message: The operation

completed successfully.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Ironically this error message also showed up on the (eventvr) same date as the last BSOD a month ago! but i've only used the divx converter once a few days ago & not last month!

As you'll see here on the pics provided:

start
    run
    eventvwr

look in system

if you are running xp or vista you can clicking on the link should take you to a page on micosoft's site

If you only had two in the last month then probably not hardware unless you are really unlucky. Can be caused by dodgy memory , failing hard drive, badly written software (lots) , corrupt registry, dumb luck or phases of the moon.
    BSOD's are not as comman as they used to be, 3 a day on windows 3.11 wasn't uncommon, with 95/98 few of the 100,000,000 users noticed that windows crashed like clockwork after 49.7 days

have you changed anything on the system recently ?

The only thing i've changed recently AFAIK the divx player, i installed a new one as the other was showing up a dialog box sayin "it could not open file"?

If the BSOD are not as common as they used to be, should you be worried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you have a minidump that was created during the crash, then it isn't hard to analyse it to the point of finding the file windows believes is responsible.
    Microsoft provide the symbol libraries for their stuff through an online link, so all you need to install is the debugging tools (17 MB). Process described in the link below...

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

ressem wrote: »
    If you have a minidump that was created during the crash, then it isn't hard to analyse it to the point of finding the file windows believes is responsible.
    Microsoft provide the symbol libraries for their stuff through an online link, so all you need to install is the debugging tools (17 MB). Process described in the link below...

I didnt get a real chance to do this all week, as i was working late.

I clicked on the Microsoft link on the eventvwr & it gave me info on a supported hotfix to submit a request to Microsoft Online Customer Services & then it tells me this: This Hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this Hotfix.

It tells you to do one thing & then changes your mind in wanting it?

As this (system error's) part is new to me, does it normally give you that answer.
    it isn't hard to analyse it
    I only put that info there, maybe its useless but what do i know? as i thought it would be helpful in this case, as i said im only new to this, but i know where to find the eventvwr now as you learn something new every day & thanks for whatever tips you receive in this.

That link doesnt work for me as i've checked it a few times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement