Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband

Options
  • 16-02-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

What is the process in getting connected to broadband? im in terenure and want to get broandband in the apartment.

there is a phone line in already but i dont know the number,

Do I have to contact eircom to get the line connected and then phone Smart to transfer the number

anybody have any idea how long this could take

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Pick up the phone, if there's a dial tone dial 1990000
    It will read the number back to you.

Then dial eircom on 1901 and ask them to activate the line.

Often, when they disconnect a line, they leave it active and just bar all outgoing and incoming calls and assign it to a spare number. This saves time and money when they reactivate it as there's no engineer involved. It takes all of about 20 seconds and can be done by their sales team without any fuss. It's just a mater of clicking a few mouse buttons!

If there's no dialtone, you'll need to contact 1901 and ask eircom to re-activate the line. There may be larger cost as it will require an engineer to actually re-connect the line in the exchange or, possibly at the street level.

Once it's activated and you've got an account number, go to www.smarttelecom.ie and sign up.

Usually within a few weeks, all things going to plan, you'll be connected.
    Mine only took 2 weeks, which isn't THAT bad. You can also now keep the existing eircom number, in the past you had to dump it and get a new smart number...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

Hi -

That sounds about perfect, I was planning on doing the same.

One question though:
    Is there a minimum service period with eircom after you get your line reconnected? (eg. a year)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 marchanlon

abakan wrote: »
    Hi all,

What is the process in getting connected to broadband? im in terenure and want to get broandband in the apartment.

there is a phone line in already but i dont know the number,

Do I have to contact eircom to get the line connected and then phone Smart to transfer the number

anybody have any idea how long this could take

I'm on the Terenure phone exchange and according to Smart it's not enabled for their broadband. I'm on Eircom 3mb at the moment. BT dropped a letter in the door recently advertising that Terenure is on their 8mb DSL coverage so maybe you should look into them. They need to transfer your line to them to get it so it's slower to set up (hence why I'm not moving) but if you don't have anything at the moment it'll probably be worth getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Ok I thought Terenure was enabled, ill have to give them a call tomorrow
    ive decided to go done the route of paying line rental. so its gonna be 50euro anyway for BB in total

2-3 weeks for an internet connection and i have no TV. its gonna be boring

Ill do that test this eveining when I go up. thats for that info

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

dooh, smart are not in Terenure.

that 1990000 worked a treat, read the number back to me.

im gonna try plug in the dsl box and see if I have broadband on it, if they just block the incoming and outgoing call then its worth a shout

as for the broadband, ill have to settle with BT 3Mb and pay line rental

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Noonzio

Smart provide a horrendously poor service . . be glad you had to go with BT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Noonzio wrote: »

How so? I have had Smart boardband for almost 3 years with very few problems and even they were minor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Horrendously poor' as in high speeds, rock solid connections and low costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

BT are far worse than Smart (well actually, Smart are fantastic) - their billing department is horrendous. To this day I get angry demands every two or three months insisting I pay up back payments for a three month free BT broadband trial I cancelled almost three years ago :rolleyes:. Despite numerous explanations that I no longer have said trial, I'm just counting down the days until I get the next letter...

Smart though - full 3Mb anytime of the night or day, very little downtime over the past 3 years or so, no download caps, throttling or limits. Granted their phone support may not be the best but the message forum is by far the best place to get pretty instant support from the tech guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

:eek:

Note to everyone, I've had two separate BT broadband connection and both times they've been horrendous to get off the line. They've been ringing me now, on a supposedly canceled phone line, asking when I'm going to pay my bill. I'm so glad I went to the expense of ordering a 2nd line in for Smart, I'd be royally screwed by BT if I hadn't. Apparantly they never received my cancellation letter, that I sent by registered post and have a copy of the signature in BT, and will have to investigate. I've left them to it.

There's absolutely no comparison between Smart and BT, Smart are miles ahead. I used to be one who would recommend BT since they're quite cheap when you bundle the line rental in with the broadband, but no more. I'd actually recommend people stay with eircom for everything, even though you pay through the nose for it, if you can't get Smart or maybe Magnet.
    spurious wrote:
    'Horrendously poor' as in high speeds, rock solid connections and low costs?
    That's it exactly. My crappy 7Mbps is always at full speed, never drops at all. This whole no download limits things is a pain in the ass too. As for all this only costing as much as BT's 3Mbps, well that's just a farce.

• Advertisement
Advertisement