Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Cashel to Mitchelstown

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Drove up from Cork to Dublin earlier this evening and flew past a parked white van on the new stretch of road at about 115 or so (it's hard not to, everyone was...). Really hope it wasn't one of those camera van dealies. In fairness if it is going to be 120 in a few weeks anyway it would be sooo harsh...

Seen that van aswell and was doing about the same speed.

It took about 15 mins off my journey, but lost that time when I stopped for petrol in Apple Green and the 1 cashier. :mad:

Thought it was a bit stupid that the guards were stopping people coming back from the match, there was a big tailback at the exit to the new stretch going towards Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Drove it for the first time to day. 25 miles of motoring pleasure from Mitchelstown to Cashel. No more waiting behind a convoy of trucks or 50mph motorists. Goodbye Kilbehenny. Farewell Skeheenarinka. No offence, but I sincerely hope I never have to drive through you again. Super road, in my opinion. Just imagine: in a couple of years we will have such a road all the way to Dublin! I can hardly wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

talking oif the cork exit...are those two mini roundabouts really neccessary?(thre if you count the one on the old road...) what a strange way to make an exit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

corktina wrote: »
    talking oif the cork exit...are those two mini roundabouts really neccessary?(thre if you count the one on the old road...) what a strange way to make an exit

which cork exit are you talking about with the 2 roundabouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

ipodrocker wrote: »
    which cork exit are you talking about with the 2 roundabouts?

I think you mean the endpoint at Kilbeheny (i.e. Junction 12)? If so, I actually don't think it's badly laid out. You've got to remember that it might appear chaotic at the moment, but that the business there will only be temporary.

• Advertisement

thats the one...two of the roundabouts have sections which will never be driven on (except by lost drivers who COULD avail of the opposite roundabout to retrace their steps.)..in other words, they didnt need to be roundabouts at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Junction 12 is signposted terribly. Apart from having ugly gaffer tape all over place (although it will eventually be removed), there is a sign saying 'M8 Cork' pointing towards Mitchelstown, which would be REALLY confusing to someone unfamiliar with the layout. And it has those dreadful mini-roundabouts mentioned above. I believe that type of interchange is called a 'dumbell' interchange. Junction 11 is also of that type but it's much better signposted and the roundabouts are much bigger making it easiar to enter and exit the motorway.

all to save the cost of a second bridge I imagine....not very good junction layouts methinks....

Green signage was taken down and replaced last week. Some eg's below.

Hm - I just noticed that the Irish name for New Inn is wildly wrong on that R639 sign! It should be Loch Cheann.

its a fine bit of road now...I can do home to Cahir in an hour now and only another 10 mins or so ses me in Clonmel....and my Pug van is really slow hard to keep at the speed limit all the time in it....

• Advertisement

Said I'd resurrect this thread. See this AA report: http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=100365

I suspect the road is being closed to enable works to fix a growing hollow of subsidence on the southbound carriageway about 1km north of Kilbehenny.

Has anyone else noticed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Thanks Furet.

That's made my mind up to get the train this weekend.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

Advertisement