Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclopse gone from monster munch

• 16-02-2008 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Now I must admit I haven't been paying much attention to monster munch these past few years but I must admit I was shocked to see the passing of the cyclopse from the back when I say a package recently - a world shattering event !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

But aren't Monster Munch Walkers now? And therefore semi-evil? Walkers Monster Munch are a shadow of the corn based snack they once were. Tayto's Mighty Munch are the real deal, except they changed the spicing a bit when Walkers launched here and took over the licence for Monster Munch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Archeron

As far as I'm concerned, Monster Munch without the cyclops are just plain old Munch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

They've changed the name to mighty munch- An outragous development and a death knell for the clops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Monster Munch was launched in 1977 (the year was also notable for the Sex Pistols debut album, and me. Yea.) by Smiths crisps in the U.K. As Smiths didn't sell into the Irish market, they licenced Monster Munch to Tayto. Walkers bought Smiths in 1995, and when they entered the Irish market a few years back, they took back the licence for Monster Munch in Ireland.
    Here's the tricky part. Since Walkers bought Smiths, they changed Monster Munch, making the crisps smaller, the texture less rough and the spicing milder. By the time they launched in Ireland, the Walkers Monster Munch was nothing like the traditional ones still made by a Tayto.
    Part of the agreement between Walkers and Tayto must have been to allow Tayto to produce a similar crisp (Mighty Munch) with a slightly different recipe (hotter spice).
    The result is, if you are over the age of 20 and crave Monster Munch, buy Mighty Munch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

Monster Munch have never been the same since they changed them from those yellow bags!! they used to be sooo gorg and stick to your teeth and so spicey,but not anymore! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

lay off them... they still make the Flamin' Hot ones so it's all good

Advertisement