Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renting.

Options
  • 16-02-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

If this is better off in the legal advice forum, could a mod please move it?

So, on Monday me and three friends will be moving into a lovely 4 bed semi-D. It's the first time any of us will be moving out and we're all around the 20 YO mark. Monday afternoon we need to sign the lease and pick up the keys, so there were a few points I was hoping someone could comment on.

- The lease is for a year and the agent the landlord is renting through wants all four names on it and the first months rent (€350) and a deposit of a months rent (€350) (so €700 each) before handing over the keys. Providing we get a receipt for this, would paying cash seem smart? (only way we can all pay on Monday)

- The landlord who doesn't even want to meet us want the rent each month payed directly to his account. Is it then okay to pay the agent the deposit?
    And what details should I get about the landlord? Address, pps number, phone number?

If anyone could comment on the situation it would really help.
    Cheers - :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Congratulations on moving into your own place, its an exciting time!

Its perfectly normal to pay by direct debit so don't worry about that.
    Deposit should be paid cash unless the new LL has asked for it to be paid by direct debit, if they haven't stipulated - assume cash. Pay it to the agent and make sure he gives you a receipt, even if its only a scrap of paper with received 700 euro scribbled on it and his signature.

You can ask for the landlords PPS for rent allowance, but its not needed, as long as you put his name down you'll get your allowance.

Definitely get the LL's number - cookers break, slates fall off roofs, washing machines flood...all part of ordinary life yer ma probably dealt with up till now!

Good luck and try not to get pissed every night of the week ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Varkov wrote: »
    If this is better off in the legal advice forum, could a mod please move it?

So, on Monday me and three friends will be moving into a lovely 4 bed semi-D. It's the first time any of us will be moving out and we're all around the 20 YO mark. Monday afternoon we need to sign the lease and pick up the keys, so there were a few points I was hoping someone could comment on.

- The lease is for a year and the agent the landlord is renting through wants all four names on it and the first months rent (€350) and a deposit of a months rent (€350) (so €700 each) before handing over the keys. Providing we get a receipt for this, would paying cash seem smart? (only way we can all pay on Monday)

- The landlord who doesn't even want to meet us want the rent each month payed directly to his account. Is it then okay to pay the agent the deposit?
    And what details should I get about the landlord? Address, pps number, phone number?

If anyone could comment on the situation it would really help.
    Cheers - :D

I know many 30 year-olds who aren't as cautious! Good on you for not entering blind-eyed into these rental agreements.

It's worth remembering too that you shouldn't get too comfortable in this new home -- landlords can kick you out at a month's notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Varkov wrote: »
    - The lease is for a year and the agent the landlord is renting through wants all four names on it and the first months rent (€350) and a deposit of a months rent (€350) (so €700 each) before handing over the keys.
    Realise that you will probably all be liable if one doesn't pay. If you intend moving out before the year is up, you will need to find replacements agreeable to the landlord. The landlord will only be able to "kick you out" if you breash the contract and/or engage in antio-social behaviour.
    Providing we get a receipt for this, would paying cash seem smart? (only way we can all pay on Monday)
    Cash, cheque, bank draft or credit transfers should be acceptable. Be careful wandering around with €2,800.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Thanks for the input guys, all systems are go for tomorrow. :)

Advertisement