Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slight problem with Saab 9-3

Options
  • 16-02-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Whenever I am near full lock I can hear a clicking type of noise from the wheels.

Is this something to worry about or can it wait to the next service?

It is an 04 and has done 60k miles.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I'd take a guess and say its a wheelbearing myself

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's probably one or both of the CV (Constant Velocity) joints on the way out. They link the driveshaft to the wheel. IMO, you'd be OK to wait until your next service. Just let the mechanic take a look at it in advance so they can order parts.

Not your ornery onager

I'd take a guess and say its a wheelbearing myself
    I'd guess you are wrong! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Thanks esel for the quick reply!

Thats good so long as it is nothing too serious I suppose it can wait till the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Is it only while driving and turning, and on any particular side, I would say it is the CV joint. If it is was a bearing I would expect that you would get a whining noise while driving, but to check the bearing just jack up the car and grab the wheel and give it wiggle ,if there is too much play it could be a problem. The only other ticking noise is to do with the power steering , and this will show even if you are not driving, if you turn the wheels full lock either direction and get the knocking/ticking noise this could be the altenator. hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

esel wrote: »
    It's probably one or both of the CV (Constant Velocity) joints on the way out. They link the driveshaft to the wheel. IMO, you'd be OK to wait until your next service. Just let the mechanic take a look at it in advance so they can order parts.

+1 for the CV but I disagree on leaving it till next service. The least you should do is have a look to see if all the CV boots are still intact. If they are it should be OK, but if they are showing any damage get it fixed ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

CV joint. Boot doesn't necessarily have to be burst either.

Del2005 wrote: »
    +1 for the CV but I disagree on leaving it till next service. The least you should do is have a look to see if all the CV boots are still intact. If they are it should be OK, but if they are showing any damage get it fixed ASAP.
    True. If the CV boot (also called a gaiter - an accordion-shaped rubber tube) is ripped, the grease leaks out. If the boot is replaced early, then the joint itself may be undamaged.

Therefore, have it looked at now, rather than waiting for next service.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement