Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to get a moped. Any advice appreciated.

• 16-02-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi everyone. was just wondering if anyone would have any advice for me. im a 23 year old female and sick of having to get a lift everywhere. i've never had a licence before and have been trawling through the internet trying to work out what i need. i was hoping to get something like a 49cc or 50cc moped, but cant even work out if a 50cc moped is classed as moped or scooter. i dont even know which licence to apply for to be honest. any advice would be really appreciated. and also, was wondering if i'll need to do some form of driving test (apart from the theory test) before i can go on the road. thanks so much, i really appreciate it. have been looking in the buy and sell and have been getting a few quotes from insurance companies under the pretense that i hold a provisional license and have one of the biles ive seen going cheap(mbk ovetto 50cc)with less than 1 years experience, got one quote for 285 and this is so cheap thought maybe id forgot to enter something in. i know these are really ridiculous questions , so thanks again to anyone willing to help out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

you'll need a AM licence cat: M. im in the same boat as yourself, studying for the provisional and trying to get a 50 cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

thanks a mill, really appreciate it. been getting seriously confused after reading a few different opinions! hope you get ur theory test first go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

Apply for a provisional A licence. It gives you the most flexibility, as you can then do the test on anything you like.

If you do your test on a 50cc moped, you'll then only get an M licence which means you can only drive 50cc mopeds with a max speed of 45 km/h (a waste of time). If you do your test on a bike between 50 and 125cc, then you'll get an A1 licence entitling you to drive anything up to 125cc. And if you do your test on a bike above 125cc you'll get an A licence, allowing you to drive anything (with certain restrictions for the first two years)

Also if you do the test on an automatic scooter, you should only get a licence that allows you to drive automatics. However I have heard of people getting full licences in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

thanks think i might do that:) you dont happen to know if the a licence learners permit has a shorter span or if its the 2 years aswell? Might be handier in case I freeze in the winter to have the choice of upgrading to a faster bike! Anyone any advice on a dirt cheap scooter/moped (really looking for something round 500) for a first timer? Or anyone know if the fact I'm six foot tall will be a problem on a scooter, afraid my legs will end up wrapped around my ears!
    I can laugh about it now but maybe not in a months time! Eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

You'll generally only get rubish for around €500, and you'll have to spend a fortune on repairs, or it'll let you down the one day you absolutly have to be in work on time. I'm 6 ft 3 and had a scooter for a short while. Some are quite small, but some of the bigger engined ones are actually quite large. Main thing to check, as well as whether your knees are hitting the front fairing, is that you have a decent rear view with the mirrors.

Anyway, keep an eye on donedeal.ie, gumtree.ie, buyandsell.net and adverts.ie. You might pick something up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Persius wrote: »
    Also if you do the test on an automatic scooter, you should only get a licence that allows you to drive automatics. However I have heard of people getting full licences in this case.
    Is there actually a seperate category for larger than 50cc scooters, or do you just use the full A class licenses for them, but then they stick some restriction codes next to it on your license when passing the test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Persius wrote:
    Apply for a provisional A licence. It gives you the most flexibility
    Agree and do the test in an 'ordinary' bike with manual transmission if possible.
    The would be entitled to a Full Restricted Licence. The code number '78' should be printed on the licence to indicate that the owner is restricted to automatic transmission.

you dont happen to know if the a licence learners permit has a shorter span or if its the 2 years aswell?
    2 years.
    robinph wrote: »
    Is there actually a seperate category for larger than 50cc scooters, or do you just use the full A class licenses for them
    Category A1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

There is an MBK Ovetto on Adverts.ie for less than €500.
    Just made the move to a moped last week myself (21 male, no experience, 49cc) and my insurance is €580 with Quinn Direct.
    I have a learner-permit for M and A1 , going to get my A learner-permit before the summer (need a new theory test for this). I was thinking of applying for the the test but was wondering if I do it on the 49cc bike will I be able to get a full A1 license or will it be a M?
    The bike is 49cc but it goes much faster than 45km/hr.
    I can apply for and sit my A1 license test any time but I need to do a theory test, get a new leaner-permit then wait 6months before I could apply for my A license test.
    Surely it's worth getting a full A1 license in the meantime?
    Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

If you sit the test on a 49cc moped you will get an 'M' license or possibly a restricted 'A1' - restricted to automatics.

Better off applying for an A test, and doing a couple of lessons with an instructor and sitting your test on a bike classified into the A category otherwise you'll have to do the test again to get an A.

Apply to Raheny and you'll get a date in 8-10 weeks, but you will have to have held your learner's permit for 6 months before applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I don't have an "A" learner permit yet so that is not an option. I was going to do the A1 test while I get an A learner permit and then I can at least ride a 125 without a tabard until I can sit my full A test.
    The M license is for bikes not capable of more than 45km/hr so if I do the A1 test on a 49scooter that can go faster can I still get an A1 license? (I don't mind being restricted to an automatic until I get a full A license.
    Confusing, I know.

• Advertisement

I think the M is for anything under 50cc or < 45km/h - since most 49cc machines need to be restricted to get them to do less than 45km/h.

Best thing would to ring them. It seems convoluted to me to sit the same test twice and thats assuming you pass first time around.

I've only seen 3 people wearing those tabards and I'm sure there are plenty more people who should be wearing them who aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,452 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

According to the driving test form, the bike for an A1 test must be 51-125cc.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_c wrote: »
    you will have to have held your learner's permit for 6 months before applying.
    Before taking the test not before applying for the test. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 selena27

What if u have ur provisional for cars.Does it allow u to drive a 49cc scooter?

selena27 wrote: »
    What if u have ur provisional for cars.Does it allow u to drive a 49cc scooter?

Check the license, if 'M' is there then yes. If not you need to get it added, local tax office should be able to do this for you.

Advertisement