Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

HomePlug to WAN interface?

• 16-02-2008 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

For various reasons it would benefit me to add a HomePlug to my terminating broadband connection and then use the mains to connect to a router at the other end of a HomePlug:

Licensed Wireless > CAT5 cable > HomePlug > HomePlug > Router.

This would mean that I am sending my incoming connection through my mains before getting to the protection of the router. I would have the usual encryption on it but I am just wondering how safe this might be? I live in a detached house and theoretically the signal should stop and my electric box, but does anyone know if this is certain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

To be honest I don't know the specific in's and ut's of this but I set one up, it works fine but its slow, only about a 10mb connection through the mains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

But do you have it connected to the LAN interface of your router or the WAN interface?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Imagine the home plugs werent there!What would you plug the CAT5 cable into!
    Thats your answer...... the WAN port. If this is say IBB or someone that uses static IP address make sure your router is config'd with proper IP address on the WAN interface.

EDIT: Those link plug things are paired P2P devices they are designed ONLY to talk to the other one and not anyone or thing else. For example hop one off the floor and break it, you have to go out and buy a new pair. Now this could have changed since I last dealt with them, maybe there is a point to multi point version now, but Im sure there would be some sort of encryption on this then. What HomePlugs are you using specifically?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

azzeretti wrote:
    theoretically the signal should stop and my electric box, but does anyone know if this is certain?
    what theory is this ?
    I'm open to correction but AFAIK the ESB don't have filters on the mains lines.
    Have you ever heard of any problems with baby monitors ?

what theory is this ?
    I'm open to correction but AFAIK the ESB don't have filters on the mains lines.
    Have you ever heard of any problems with baby monitors ?

Aren't most Baby Monitors Wireless? Can't say I've ever heard of a WIRED baby monitors, but I am open to correction. The HomePlug states that the signal doesn't travel across the meter in your house, that is, IN THEORY, the signal shouldn't get to my neighbours house. If it could, it would mean he could slap in a Homeplug and get direct access to my direct internet connection, if the encryption is comprimised.

• Advertisement

Imagine the home plugs werent there!What would you plug the CAT5 cable into!
    Thats your answer...... the WAN port. If this is say IBB or someone that uses static IP address make sure your router is config'd with proper IP address on the WAN interface.

EDIT: Those link plug things are paired P2P devices they are designed ONLY to talk to the other one and not anyone or thing else. For example hop one off the floor and break it, you have to go out and buy a new pair. Now this could have changed since I last dealt with them, maybe there is a point to multi point version now, but Im sure there would be some sort of encryption on this then. What HomePlugs are you using specifically?
    This isn't true, as long as you use the same network password you can add as many singal devices to the network as you like, within reason. For instance, I have 4 in my home, all bought at different times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

you have answered your own question then in that case I believe, the nodes whatever way they connect need a network password!Therefore unless someone plugs another one in on the same wiring with the same password (unlikely) they wont be able to connect

I suppose I was just looking for someone to confirm that my electrical meter will stop the signal getting to another location, that way the encryption isn't an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Plug one into your neighbours socket to test!

Advertisement