Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Jaguar XF

Options
  • 16-02-2008 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Just saw the ad on telly for this. Looks like Jag are back in business.Pretty nice looking car, the back is an obvious copy of the DB9, not that thats a bad thing. Looks pretty good inside too. What do ye think?
    photography_F2DD9CF0-D78F-4CE0-B5BB-4319F5CE82B0_378x624.jpg
    introduction_CE6C73B8-741D-49C9-AD9F-F51F645DC24C.jpg
    interior_DDB91AFE-0A75-40D9-B028-EBEAE45D4718.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

It does look well and the specs arent too bad but the engines are past it and have been around for too long! They need to put a new high preformance diesel if it is to succeed in Europe, the 2.7 is barely faster than a 520d!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Impega7848

farva wrote: »
    It does look well and the specs arent too bad but the engines are past it and have been around for too long! They need to put a new high preformance diesel if it is to succeed in Europe, the 2.7 is barely faster than a 520d!!

Saw one today.

Im not a Jaguar fan, and the sighting this morning confirmed it.

The back of it had Ford Mondeo written all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Impega7848 wrote: »
    The back of it had Ford Mondeo written all over it.

Looks Aston Martin to me
    coupe_exterior_05.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Impega7848

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Looks Aston Martin to me
    coupe_exterior_05.jpg

I think that Aston is a great looking car, and so is the new jag xk, which share a great likeness....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

2008_gs_460_500.jpg

I think that there is a hint of Lexus GS from the rear three quater view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Drove one a few weeks ago. Gorgeous car in the flesh with an great interior unlike any Jag I've been in before - more space age then gentlemans club. I thought the PSA 2.7V6diesel really suited the car feels smooth and powerful. Jag have a real hit on their hands. (Nearly €80k for the hi spec one I drove though!!!)

The start-up sequence- vents opening, gear knob rising, etc. looks very cool

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The rear end looks like the rear of an Aston because it was designed by the same guy - Ian Callum :) Saw one on the road yesterday, very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Tested against the 530d, A6 3.0tdiquattro and the E class diesel in last weeks autocar. Not surprised that it bet the (cheaper) audi , but also won against the merc and bmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

groupb wrote: »
    Tested against the 530d, A6 3.0tdiquattro and the E class diesel in last weeks autocar. Not surprised that it bet the (cheaper) audi , but also won against the merc and bmw.

The British press can be quite ...eh...'patriotic'...at times... i'd take their conclusions with a pinch of salt.

Not withstanding that Jaguar will soon be owned by the Indians!

Does look good though and the interior is superb. If I was in the market for that type of car I'd have it over a Merc or BMW anyday...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The start up sequence thing i something i think is really sexy, but i fear all this electric wizardry to go pear shaped later on in the cars life.......more stuff to go wrong.

Anyways, I saw this Car in Mullingar a few months back on UK plates and i thought it was STUNNING!
    It was silver, had big wheels and looked the dogs.
    Jag has put away the smoking jacket and slipperz!!

Jeremy Clarkson reviewed it last week in the sunday times and thought found some stuff tedious, but love'd it overall.

I'd have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

pburns wrote: »
    The British press can be quite ...eh...'patriotic'...at times... i'd take their conclusions with a pinch of salt.

Not withstanding that Jaguar will soon be owned by the Indians!

Does look good though and the interior is superb. If I was in the market for that type of car I'd have it over a Merc or BMW anyday...

Agreed about the British press (just take the review on Top Gear as an example). They could review it against any other cars but it would still win because....Its British

Anyway I think it looks good - all except the bloody wood in the interior. AFAIK you can't spec it without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 markdoy

Saw one during the week in Boland Jaguar in Wexford - it was in a grey colour - beautiful looking in the flesh - definitely stands out from the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'm sure the workers at the MG Rover plant in Longbridge didn't find anything patriotic about the press in the UK, you only have to look at the test of the CityRover on Top Gear to show just how unpatriotic the British press can be when they want to(OK, I know it was never built in Britain, but they often rubbished the rest of the MG Rover range when they wanted to, and I've never seen the X-Type do better than it's rivals, even when new it got a lukewarm reception at best in Briutain). I doubt the German or French press would rubbish their own cars the way Top Gear or other British mags do most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

E92 wrote: »
    I'm sure the workers at the MG Rover plant in Longbridge didn't find anything patriotic about the press in the UK, you only have to look at the test of the CityRover on Top Gear to show just how unpatriotic the British press can be when they want to(OK, I know it was never built in Britain, but they often rubbished the rest of the MG Rover range when they wanted to, and I've never seen the X-Type do better than it's rivals, even when new it got a lukewarm reception at best in Briutain). I doubt the German or French press would rubbish their own cars the way Top Gear or other British mags do most of the time.

I know what you mean.And then they consider nissan, ford and vauxhall(and many others) as their own cars to a certain extent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I thought the XF's mainly came with an aluminium trim rather than a wood one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

True, but then again they all think the Derbyshire built Toyota Auris is rubbish.

I don't find them biased at all, but I will admit that whenever a British car is very good, they do go over the top. I mean they went crazy about the Range Rover(which is BMW designed to a large extent), I've gone in one several times, and to be honest it didn't do anything extraordinary. It doesn't do anything that my fathers 1.8 Avensis doesn't in reality, apart from being a lot more expensive to run, having a much nicer 6 cylinder diesel sound under the bonnet(though you hear far too much diesel in it, and it didn't seem fast at all to me either, that said I didn't drive it, so maybe it has a bit of poke, but I got the impression that it is slow in the passenger's seat), and the extra space, and superb seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

True, but then again they all think the Derbyshire built Toyota Auris is rubbish.

I don't find them biased at all, but I will admit that whenever a British car is very good, they do go over the top. I mean they went crazy about the Range Rover(which is BMW designed to a large extent), I've gone in one several times, and to be honest it didn't do anything extraordinary. It doesn't do anything that my fathers 1.8 Avensis doesn't in reality, apart from being a lot more expensive to run, having a much nicer 6 cylinder diesel sound under the bonnet(though you hear far too much diesel in it, and it didn't seem fast at all to me either, that said I didn't drive it, so maybe it has a bit of poke, but I got the impression that it is slow in the passenger's seat), and the extra space, and superb seats.

They're right about the auris anyway - terrible car IMO.It looks even more BORING than the old corolla hatch.I bet toyota are already working on the replacement.I wonder if the new avensis will meet a similiar fate.From spy pics i've seen its just an auris with a boot

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080111.002/mini4/toyota-avensis-sedan-spied

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

I don't really know how I feel about it - it just does not look like what a Jaguar should look like in my opinion - I don't like the front at all - too "non descript" if you ask me... rear is nice but overall - I won't be switching marques based on this offering from Jag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Looks.

These are all gimmicky things, more to go wrong. A triumph perhaps of style over substance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I don't find them biased at all,
    The British motoring press will echo and agree with what the British public think and say. If they don't their sales drop. They're not necessarily biased, they just don't risk going against public opinion.

JHMEG wrote: »
    The British motoring press will echo and agree with what the British public think and say. If they don't their sales drop. They're not necessarily biased, they just don't risk going against public opinion.

But the British public will always be biased towards British cars so I would take what the British Press say about their cars lightly.

On topic, I got to sit into one of these cars yesterday in a showroom and I have to say the quality is impeccable. Pure class, definate dream car, but for €70k you'd expect that I suppose

Advertisement