Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you look for in a partner?

Options
  • 16-02-2008 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Curious.... As I currently feel as though there is no prospect of me fulfiliing the typical male role within a relationship...at certain times yes....but on a consistent basis it's just beyond me...and in truth always was.... That dosen't mean that I'm not open to relations with a female....but for it to work roles would have to be in some way convoluted......and most women I feel want a masculine man. Anyway I'm happy with who I am...wouldn't wish to be anyone else... But somewhat on the fringes in terms of the dating scene..which I accept.

Anyway interested in what would attract others to a potential husband or wife?.

Regards
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

For me:
    1. Honesty
    2. Communication skills
    3. Loyalty
    4. Strength of mind
    5. Relatively sociable
    6. Independent
    7. Confident and not needy or jealous
    8. Kind

Suppose i could go on but....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Filan wrote: »

Anyway interested in what would attract others to a potential husband or wife?.

Regards
    A

First off, not sure what age you are but most young people don't consciously go looking for a husband or wife. And in most people's experience, including mine, someone great comes into your life right when you stop searching for them. I don't know why this is, maybe body-language saying 'I'm looking for someone' puts people off.

Anywho, beyond that I think you'll find that different women like different kinds of men. It's a very individual thing. Everyone likes a partner who they get on well with, can have fun with, can relate to and can be serious with when needed. Respect is very important and a need to communicate. Beyond that you can be fat or thin, short or tall, black or white and you'll find a lady who likes you.

I myself like guys who are a bit taller than me, have not-short hair (not necessarily long) and who are lean but muscular. I hate huge mucsles on a guy.

Hope that helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Husband or wife was meant in a non-serious way...I'm not really looking for advice..just curious as to others opinions. Thanks for replies! Would also be interested if there is lesbians or gays here as to how different role's work with two people of the same sex. I'm male but identify as Trans..or Queer in some way...male but always struggled with the male role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

A fine big...............................................................smile.:D

Seriously I don't specifically look for any traits in particular. Apart from the obvious ones such as not being a w*nker etc. It's all about chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Honestly can say I don't look for anything in partner - all my long term partners were friends first and it developed from there. I do tend to share alot o the same interests with them but I hang out with people who share the same interests as me so its not surprise I meet my boyfriends within these groups. Have never had a relationship with anyone where I felt we fitted in roles of any sort - me woman you man - we just clicked.

Any short term relationships are usually based on physical attraction/the right moment chemistry and I can list what I am attracted to in those cases but I don't think thats what your looking for. Those relationships, while fun, didn't go anywhere as we tended to have little in common. I'm not saying I want someone with the exact same interests as me as that would get boring but at least a common starting point.

Filan wrote: »
    Would also be interested if there is lesbians or gays here as to how different role's work with two people of the same sex. I'm male but identify as Trans..or Queer in some way...male but always struggled with the male role.

There is a lesbian/gay forum on boards you can post this question too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Well friendship is paramount to any relationship...
    You would hopefully be spending the rest of your life together, So you need someone you can trust... SOmeone whos company you enjoy... It helps if your on the same level...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I would rate compatibility a huge factor in a partner. We would have to share similar interests, be able to communicate, he'd have to have an excellent sense of humour and of course be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Personally, being transsexual, I've never had problems getting girlfriends. My last girlfriend would have considered herself straight until she met me and was willing then to look past the gender crap, most girls I've dated are straight I'm just honest with them at the start so it's not like I'm going to speed dating events or anything and pretending to be something else in the hopes of converting them later on. Try being honest, everyone I've dated (male and female) I've been honest with from the start and had the respect to give them the choice wether or not to date me.

On topic I go for:

Height (in men, I wouldn't date a guy smaller than me, it just looks silly and draws attention to me that I don't want)
    Inteligence (I want someone I can talk to too)
    Affection (I like affection {random hugs, pecks on the cheek for no reason etc})
    Exceptance (I refuse to be a hidden girlfriend, if someone dates me I expect to meet their friends and family at some point as they would mine)

looks, gender, weight mean nothing to me, if I like someone as a person then I'll date them. To date me comes with alot of new issues that I'd expect them to accept so to be fair I'd have to accept some issues about them too so I never let the physical(other than height in men) influnce my decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lisa_Simpson

Friendship & trust would be key. Someone to share life with and have fun. Someone who you can be there for no matter what, and someone who you can rely on to do the same. Someone who thinks you are as special, as they are to you, and someone who would defend you to their friends and family without a 2nd thought - as you would for them.

In the past I have generally worked off of chemistry, and a lack of arrogance.
    Next time I'm going look with a shopping list.

Laidback.
    Kind.
    From a farming background.
    Thoughtful to all others not just me.
    Nice family....dead mother.
    Passionate but not about their job or ball sports.
    Good circle of friends or at least a gregarious personality.
    Veg*n
    Independant.
    Emotional.
    Positive outlook, allergic to complaining.
    Different interests to me.
    Uncompetative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Moonbaby wrote: »

Laidback.
    Kind.
    Veg*n
    Independant.
    Emotional.
    Uncompetative.

WTF :confused: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

If I may

The loving of a child,Loving his/her partner

Telling your friends to put their money where their mouth is.

Don't confuse simple things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I fit most of these except for 'Veg*n', 'dead mother' and 'farming background'.

a/s/l @ thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Winters, off topic posting will get you put on the naughty step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Honesty
    Communication skills
    Friendship
    Sociable with good friends
    Independent
    Attractive / Looks*
    Laid back, Chillaxiful

*Lets be honest here, although the above personality traits, to me, are more important. I also have to be physically attracted to the person. Looks as I said are not the biggest thing but they are something that I consider.
    I think with any relationship the 1st two are pretty important as if a couple can sit down and chat with each other, they can work out anything, as long as it can be worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

It started with pure physical LUST, then developed into affection and love.! But the most important things are kindness to me and others. Fun and being funny, not taking life so seriously.A man who will look out for me but not smother me. Someone who can be humble but also strong when needed,also can laugh at themselves too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Moonbaby wrote: »

Laidback.
    Kind.
    Veg*n
    Independant.
    Emotional.
    Uncompetative.

Would they not contradict each other? I'm just saying because I love my job and it is one of my interests that may be different to a partner and likewise I hate sport but have to accept someone I'm dating might be the opposite in that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

My general criteria are
    -Intelligent (I used to go with 'educated' but I don't think that's so important any more, I'm working on my third college degree at the moment and it doesn't make me any more intelligent than my bf who dropped out of school at 17)
    -Hot (subjective one this, for me it usually means tallish, skinny and scruffy)
    -Ambitious
    -Confident
    -Talented (not necessarily in an artistic way but that's how it always seems to work out)
    -Compassionate
    -Preferably some similar interests and political outlooks to me, but also different ones, I don't want to go out with a clone of myself!

It's not so much that I compare people to that list and get rid of them if they don't measure up, as that I don't become really attracted to them in the first place if they don't fit in with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Speaking as a bloke, I would say, in no particular order;

Intelligence
    Loyalty
    Emotionally consistent(on past experience we can but hope..:D)
    Fun
    Sociable and socially aware
    Self respect

Of those loyalty and intelligence would be a given. Self absorbed would be a deal breaker.

On the physical side I prefer toned with a smaller frame. Hair colour or any of that doesn't really matter to me, though brunettes at a push would have some advantage.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

stepbar wrote: »
    WTF :confused: :eek:

Single or Mammie isn't Irish.

• Advertisement

Kazobel wrote: »
    Would they not contradict each other? I'm just saying because I love my job and it is one of my interests that may be different to a partner and likewise I hate sport but have to accept someone I'm dating might be the opposite in that opinion.

I need to live a balanced life. I think its great for someone to have job satifaction, but I don't want to share my time with someone who always puts work/money before themselves and everyone else.

I find people with different lifestyles and interests appealing for what I can learn from them. So I tend to take an active involvement in my bfs interests.
    Ball sports just bore me to tears, once again I don't mind someone having an interest. But I wouldn't be happy for something I didn't like to eat into our weekend activites regularly.

BTW my shoppng wish is more of a wishlist....I fully expect to fall foul of a pair of sparkley blue eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

- attractive (to me. whats the point if i dont fancy him?)
    - makes me laugh
    - easy going & im able to relax around him. i find theres some people ill just instantly have a flow of conversation with.
    - intelligent
    - affectionate. i dont mean over the top PDAs but i need someone who will give me a cuddle. im mad for hugs!
    - able to communicate!

i think most important is probably enjoying each others company. if you can be happy doing absolutely nothing with someone :)

Hmm....
    -intelligent absolute must
    -good looking
    -knows themselves well+/is comfy with themselves
    -fun
    -somewhat ambitious/has an idea where they're going or at least wants something
    and of course a good friend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I tend to be attracted to creative (writers, musicians, artists, discovery researchers) and physically fit types, with a grand sense of humour about life in general. Tend to avoid heavy drinkers, recreational drug users, and smokers cause I'm into fitness. Friendship and trust are essential, as is being treated equally (although different... Viva la difference!). Not really attracted to someone of the same sex, but my flatmate teases me a lot about being so square when it comes to that. Oh, a healthy sexual relationship in combination with the above is a must (but forget one-night-stands cause I need a relationship first).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

A good heart/spirit.

At least moderate intelligence, don't care if she's not into any of the nerdy crap I am as long as when we're talking she can pick up enough of what I'm saying to be able to respond. I also like regular debates on all kinds of stuff, keeps the old grey matter from getting too bored.

Reasonably fit, don't care if she's a bit on the larger side as long as she is looking after herself and getting regular exercise to stay healthy.

Affectionate, but not in a public matches of tonsil tennis way, or a phony/forced way.

Comfortable with their body and who they are, not just a sheep who follows trends, either in fashion or otherwise. Has her own mind and oppinions and doesn't just back down and follow whatever someone else says.

Most importantly, for a friend or girlfriend:- able to withstand really knowing me while remaining themselves and not letting it crush them emotionally, yet to meet anyone who can so guess this is just a deluded dream....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

it really all comes down to how well you get on.
    i must be attracted to her.
    i generally like girls that are shorter than me even when in heels.
    toned body.
    like a girl to be into fitness.
    prefer non smokers tho that wouldnt be a deal breaker.

i like girly girls. long as she doesnt say OMG every two seconds.
    i also like a girl with a good fashion sense, and who is independant enough to go out with her mates when she wants.

a good pair of legs just gets me every time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

These are not done in any particular order of importance....they are all just as important as each other!

1) She has to challenge me and also enjoy being challenged!
    2) Similar interests across Painting, Art, Photography and Writing would be a massive attraction.
    3) She needs to be her own person, just happy out to be on her own in her own company! I get on a lot better with people who are comfortable with themselves.
    4) A hunger for music is a must.
    5) A good dancer. I don't mean drunken dancefloor bull****...I mean a good dancer.
    6) Expressive and Emotive.
    7) Physically active somehow! Doesn't matter what it is once it's something!
    8) Intelligent.
    9) Sexual - might sound simple but the truth is not everyone is into sex or has a high sex drive. I am and i do so she will need to be the same for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd be happy with someone who doesn't get trapped in cabinets all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

A girlie tomboy. not high maintenance. Quite happy in a pair of combats and vest top, but can be girlie when needed.

Doesn't fart in front of me (and I in turn won't in front of her either)
    Active and fit
    small pert boobs (I've been out with an H cup girl and big breast just aren't for me)
    looks good with short hair
    narrow hips (honestly I'm not into boys)
    A passion for music (the ability to sing and play a bonus)
    Doesn't drink to excess
    Will challenge and inspire me to be the best I can.
    The ability to forgive thoughtlessness on occasion
    Likes chick flicks and finds it cute that I'm guarrenteed to cry:o
    Doesn't nag!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

Have to be attracted to him first off
    Has to be interesting - no point sitting there in silence
    Being tight with money is a major turn off too - would be a deal breaker.
    Needs to be into going out at w/ends.
    Thats it really

Advertisement