Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why to some cars have 2 batteries???

Options
  • 16-02-2008 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

I have a 97' Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 with 2 12volt batteries and it wouldn't start yesterday afternoon, not a kick, wouldn't even turn over. I had to get a rescue truck out and he tried to start it off the mobile jump pack... not a hope. He had to use the mobile jump pack AND the Isuzu truck to jump start it, one on each battery!

I got it home and it died again, turns out that ONE of the batteries was fcuked... fair enough. So a mate of mine who is a mechanic with an 89' Pajero came over and tried to jump start it using his 1 battery on my dead one... again no luck. Turns out that because mine is a 24volt system you cant jump it using only 1 12volt battery, which rules out almost every car on the road!

Does anyone know the point of this? The only other thing that I know comes with 2 batteries is a John Deere!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

In the case of your vehicle, it has two batteries because the vehicle's electrical system is 24v; 2 x 12v batteries in series = 24v.
    When one battery failed, you only had 12v left (or maybe a bit more if the other battery wasn't completely borked), so the (24v) starter motor and the rest of the system wouldn't work.

Many 12v vehicles (usually those with big diesel engines that need a lot of cranking amps) have two batteries (2 x 12v in parallel = 12v) because there isn't the space available for a really big single battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The old Patrols used to be 24V also. I thought they had dropped 24V small vehicles before 98. As Rovi said they use the 2 battieries to provide the extra kick to turn over the engine, but most are now 12V as opposed to 24V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I see what you guys are saying and it makes sense. But I wonder why if it is necessary on big diesels (such as my 2.8) to use a 24 volt system, how come even bigger more modern diesels dont have to use it? Advances in technology?

This weekend I found out that I can't jump start my jeep using most cars on the road, which is really annoying if it ever happens again! In theory if I got 2 car with 12 volt batteries and 2 sets of jump leads, that should be able to jump start it, shouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

farva wrote: »
    The only other thing that I know comes with 2 batteries is a John Deere!
    Many of the buses I've driven have 3 batteries.

Many of the buses I've driven have 3 batteries.

Imagine trying to jump start one of those, that would just be a pain in the ass!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

A push start would definatly be out of the question anyway:D:D

A push start would definatly be out of the question anyway:D:D

Could always try and towstart it with a rope, but apparently thats illegal now!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Its certainly a good question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

My E class has two batteries - had a major problem last year where the interconnect between the two went bad and the car reported all sorts of problems - resolved by the garage after 4 hours work that the connect cable between the two had frayed - repliced the cable and all fine now

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Some Land Cruiser 3.0 D-4D's have 2 batteries,

not sure why, but I do know that they are quicker to start. as in you can her that the starter motor is getting plenty current!

• Advertisement
Advertisement