Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bad luck with instructors

Options
  • 16-02-2008 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I went for two driving lessons in early january. Thought i was getting on great and then my instructor let me down.

Went to another instructor. I got my first lesson today with him. Told him the situation that i went for two lessons in jan and that i am a beginner. Told him what i learned in jan. He went to fast for me today. I told him to slow down for me. What i learned a few weeks ago was coming to me very slowly and he was just going to fast for my level. As a result i drove his car into a kerb twice and cut out his engine a good 12 times in the space of an hour and learned nothing. It was terrible. I was told by several people that he was good and he's reliable.

What should i do now. I wasn't happy with him at all. Should i give him a chance and continue going to him for another few more weeks or should i find another instructor and not mention anything about taking some previous lessons.

Today was bad. He was a nice guy but i was almost in tears. He went too fast.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You've got to "click" with your instructor. You don't have to be friendly or get on well (though it helps) but you do need to feel comfortable and relaxed. If you don't think this person is right for you then by all means change.

However you do need to make sure that it is the instructor. A first lesson is nerve wracking and that makes mistakes easier and also much harder to concentrate. And its a cycle - you stall, get stressed, which means you are more likely to stall...

Stalling 12 times and clipping a couple of kerbs isn't actually that big a deal on a first lesson or two. Now everyone you talk to will give the impression that they got it straight away and were ready to rally after a lesson but thats all bull. We all stalled and we all felt we'd never get it. Have a bit of faith in yourself and you'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

from reading your other post it sounds like you've very high expectations of what you want to get from an instructor. If you weren't happy your weren't happy but be honest with yourself before changing again - are you sure you were clear to him that he was going to fast and you needed him to go slower?

Advertisement