Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your rented accommodation have a damp problem?

Options
  • 16-02-2008 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I am curious.

60% the people renting an apartment/house in my section of of the office I work in are renting properties with damp problems?

Are we all just really unlucky or is this a common problem?

Does your rented accommodation have a damp and/or mold problem? And if it does did you landlord do anything fix it if you reported it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Inner City Girl

Hi
    i rent an apt and have a damp problem, have had to replace lots of stuff over the years. Landlord couldn't give to hoots, only stay here because the rent is cheap. Hope to buy my own home soon.
    Inner city girl.xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The usual problem is lack of ventilation. Talk to the housing department in your local council and get them to do an inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭coffeepot

I had this problem also. my landloard had to "warm board" the gable wall. He also installed a vent in the room. Problem solved!!:D

But it did take a long time to get it sorted. He has now said he will increase the rent to cover the cost when the contract is up:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Previous flat there was damp in the windowsils, chalky white stuff.

Current house i'm renting, damp started growing on the ceiling of the ensuite bathroom - because the landlord never installed an extractor fan. We had some of the white, chalky mould start on the wall in the living room, it turned out the bath wasn't sealed properly and was leaking down the inside of the wall.

Landlord has never rushed to fix any of this. Took him several months to fix the ensuite bathroom and he's known about the leak in the bath for over a month now and no one has come to fix it.

THey just don't care because they're making so much money off people and know that they can just sell the house whenever they can't be bothered renting it out anymore!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

coffeepot wrote: »
    He has now said he will increase the rent to cover the cost when the contract is up:(

Any increase in rent can only reflect the prevailing rates in the area- and not the cost of rectifying a problem which should not have been there in the first place. Your landlord is entitled to review the rent once per annum, when this time comes around have your homework done so you know what the going rate for comparable properties in the area is. Note: if you were paying below market rate- you could get a bad surprise with the size of an increase, but increasingly some places have been falling in rent once again, as the supply chain appears to have loosened up somewhat (in a lot of cases developers are putting large quantities of units on the rental market rather than trying to sell them in the current market- this is depressing the market rate).

• Advertisement
Advertisement