Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst car gimmick

Options
  • 16-02-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

What's yours?

I rate the (Astra?) "panoramic windscreen" as mine.

And the Citroen lane manager thing that vibrates your car when it passes over something white

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what's the problem with either of these items?

The Citroen alert is useful if you do a lot of motorway miles, it could save your life. As for the Opel, are convertibles a gimmick as well?

I would nominate the Lexus LS430 's oscillating air vents as my most gimmicky feature. Or some features from American 60's cars like an ashtray that had a vacuum hose that emptied itself onto the road!

Or maybe some features from the 00 Almera that they mentioned in the adverts like the "Curry hook" (a hook on the dash to hang a bag from) or the "Secret Compartment" in the centre console, imagine advertising a secret compartment!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

gps what did we do before??? in this country, air con. "lexus " lights, if you want these...buy a lexus.:D:p

alloys wheels that weigh more than steel:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

kona wrote: »
    in this country, air con

I have to strongly disagree with you there. Air con is fantastic for keeping your windscreen clear in a country with as much ****ty rainy weather as ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

colm_mcm wrote: »
    what's the problem with either of these items?

The Citroen alert is useful if you do a lot of motorway miles, it could save your life. As for the Opel, are convertibles a gimmick as well?

To be fair, if you need lane management you should be off the road and in your bed. Plus it can't dicriminate between lane markers and arrows, yield marks etc.

As for the Opel, now the sun is in your eyes more of the time, and what does it cost to replace when you catch a stone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

what does it cost to replace when you catch a stone?
    I was just wondering what one of those windshields costs to replace.

• Advertisement

That's for your insurance company to worry about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Or some features from American 60's cars like an ashtray that had a vacuum hose that emptied itself onto the road!
    Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stephen wrote: »
    That's for your insurance company to worry about :D

AFIK they only cover up to a certain amount, €450 or so. I had a chip in my Safrane windscreen that was heated, there was no way I was coverign that myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

1. Interior lights that fade out slowly when the door is closed.
    2. In BMW's & Mercedes', an electronic level to read out your oil level, as opposed to the idiot-proof dipstick.
    3. Power steering on small cars.
    4. Electric windows & mirrors
    5. Rain sensors
    6. A 'start' button as opposed to turning the key
    7. A button for the handbrake, as opposed to a handbrake lever (VW Passat has this?)

There are others, but I can't think of them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Bit of a luddite there Max! :D

Have to agree with your 'lack of dipstick' though, add to that no water temperature gauge, madness!

• Advertisement

Bit of a luddite there Max! :D

Have to agree with your 'lack of dipstick' though, add to that no water temperature gauge, madness!

IS there no dipstick at all? Renault have used the electronic dash readout for years but theres still a dipstick.

Stekelly wrote: »
    IS there no dipstick at all?

Not on the latest BMW's and Merc's AKAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

kona wrote: »
    gps what did we do before??? in this country, air con. "lexus " lights, if you want these...buy a lexus.:D:p

alloys wheels that weigh more than steel:D

Just wondering what do you do if you have a Lexus and you want different lights?:D

eamon234 wrote: »
    Just wondering what do you do if you have a Lexus and you want different lights?:D

Theres bound to be loads of unused Civic light clusters on ebay. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

eamon234 wrote: »

Polo lights? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Citroen DS had probably had more gimics than any car ever invented.

One of the first car with panoramic curved windshield.
    You could drive away on three wheels if one fell off!
    The car to day ie almost impossible to wheel clamp because of its suspension.
    Front lights could turn with steering wheel in direction of travel

800px-Citroen_ds.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

-Rain sensitive wipers.
    -Split rear window like on new Civic.

^^ I think the split rear window actually has a function though - it maintains the lines of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Citroen DS had probably had more gimics than any car ever invented.

One of the first car with panoramic curved windshield.
    You could drive away on three wheels if one fell off!
    The car to day ie almost impossible to wheel clamp because of its suspension.
    Front lights could turn with steering wheel in direction of travel

800px-Citroen_ds.jpg
    :eek:
    This is one ugly car

Stekelly wrote: »
    Theres bound to be loads of unused Civic light clusters on ebay. :)
    No, Lexus are using those on the new Lexus models! Back to the good old red and orange plastic lenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

fabsoul wrote: »
    This is one ugly car

I have to disagree with that i think they still look great.

Although i used to like the looks of the BX aswell so maybe i am biased

fabsoul wrote: »
    This is one ugly car

You have no taste.

That said, either do I probably, given I like the look of old 80's boxy shaped cars.

The DS is ugly, unless you're French.
    The Renault Vel Satis is ugly, unless you're French.
    The Ssang Yong Rodius is ugly, unless you're Korean.

Some cars are just so domestic market they're ugly to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'd agree with the second two, but the DS is not an ugly car.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Why are some folks saying rain sensors are a pointless addition to a car? I think it's quite handy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The DS is a work of art. Fantastic looking car. If only Citroens were still as daft!

Renault Vel Satis and Ssangyong Rodius are horrendous though.

As for gimmicks, well the power steering for girls and boys(i.e. the Fiat system in the Punto) has to be up there, as does starting with a button rather than a key, no engine temperature gauge annoys me too, and no car should ever be allowed have headlights that require a visit to the dealer if they blow, and no dipstick is suicidal too IMO.

Digital speedos/gauges in general I can't stand either, analogue is so much better!

E92 wrote: »
    Digital speedos/gauges in general I can't stand either, analogue is so much better!
    In all instances except one: where the needle goes anti clockwise, as in that new Aston Martin (lovely car tho).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Wasn't the button push starter due to people bursting themselves off ignition barrels in crashes? Or was that just my imagination?

DS is class looking, as E92 said French cars need to be a bit leftfield.

Electric motors for adjusting seats is something I cannot see the need for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

JHMEG wrote: »
    The Renault Vel Satis is ugly, unless you're French.
    Probably not the best looking car in the world granted, but the interior is fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Electric motors for adjusting seats is something I cannot see the need for.

I think it's great, especially with memory seats (ie different positions for different people, that adjust your mirrors and seat very handy).

No dipstick in the merc pi$$es me off to a height and it's not recent either, mine has none and it's 00.

The Citroen DS is a classic, think they still use them today at the horseraces as the suspension was that smooth.

Advertisement