Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst car gimmick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Built in Sat Nav is a complete waste as far as I'm concerned. It costs about 10 times the price of portable units and is of little use built in as you generally use the car in the area you know very well. I need sat nav when I'm travelling, that's about it.

Parking sensors on a mini is another one. And so many people have paid the €500 extra for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The Toyota Prius is a gimmick IMO.It only does 44mpg which certainly is'nt saving the earth's natural resources

ksimpson wrote: »
    Parking sensors on a mini is another one. And so many people have paid the €500 extra for them.

they're as standard(In the UK anyway not sure about here) on the convertible because even mini will admit the rear visibility is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

Parking sensors on a mini is another one.
    and what are these meant for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

endplate wrote: »
    Why are some folks saying rain sensors are a pointless addition to a car? I think it's quite handy!!!!

Extreamly handy if you are driving off-road or driving on waterlogged roads,as soon as the splash hits your screen the wipers come on,they are faster than your reaction in these cases.

Parking sensors...

If you need a computer to tell you how far you are away from an object then you should not be driving!

Gimmick!!!

What I hate about cars now is that when you put your foot on the brakes the safety belt locks up and you cant move your upper body forward,major pain in the ass at a T junction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

IMO, every piece of electronic, and saftey crap in a car:D

i understand how important safty is, but i really dont care:eek:

i like lots of power, no power steering, hard suspension, driving should be fun, NCAP makes cars boring.
    i mean Kia, Opel, Renault etc....what a waste of materials, fun cars have decreased in the last 10 years.

this is just a opinion!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Im not sure about the panoramic windscreen on the astra but i really do like the ad where that fella pushes the black band off my television screen, I wish I could do that.

panoramic windscreens (in my opinion)are just a huge designers flaw and will disappear just as soon as they came to life!

1 you still have a sun visor on the windscreen

2 Now your back seat passangers are going to need a visor?

3 how much is it going to cost to replace one of these screens if we get a little crack in it?

4 does the cost of insurance cover go up for a panoramic windscreen?

5 what is the benifit of a panoramic windscreen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

What happens if you roll your astra??!!:eek:

kona wrote: »
    IMO, every piece of electronic, and saftey crap in a car:D

i understand how important safty is, but i really dont care:eek:

i like lots of power, no power steering, hard suspension, driving should be fun, NCAP makes cars boring.
    i mean Kia, Opel, Renault etc....what a waste of materials, fun cars have decreased in the last 10 years.

this is just a opinion!:D

Im of the same opinion too.

Its like this(to me)If you dont know what a plastic explosive is then dont use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

endplate wrote: »
    Why are some folks saying rain sensors are a pointless addition to a car? I think it's quite handy!!!!

What, you can't move the stalk up a notch to turn on the wipers? Laziness.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    What, you can't move the stalk up a notch to turn on the wipers? Laziness.
    Hit a puddle offroad man then they are handy!

try it b4 u buy it.

Runflat tyres, do they really run while flat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I saw on the Mini Cooper website, they have an exterior styling section. Aside from the patterned roofs, bonnet stripes etc which do look good- they mentioned how the front of a Mini Cooper- lights/badge/reg etc- looks like a face?? You could say all cars look like a face as the lights etc are always in the same basic layout!

Zonda999 wrote: »
    they're as standard(In the UK anyway not sure about here) on the convertible because even mini will admit the rear visibility is terrible.

Not standard here according to mini.ie. €450 of your hard earned. You're lucky to get a wheel in each corner over here.

mini's are for gay men and women so less said the better.

Not standard here according to mini.ie. €450 of your hard earned. You're lucky to get a wheel in each corner over here.
    Its always been the same in this country....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The car to day ie almost impossible to wheel clamp because of its suspension.

If there's any car companies reading this, make your wheelbays non standard so as to make clamping impossible! That would be a brilliant feature to market!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Hit a puddle offroad man then they are handy!

Can't you move the stalk either? So much energy required to do such an epic task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Minis are cute and do turn heads, and I know they are part of BMW, but they are expensive for such a small car!!!

I saw a pink one in Lucan recently, with black stripes, have to say it was a lovely little car.

Can't you move the stalk either? So much energy required to do such an epic task.

You obviously have never used this technology

I work on the M3 developement so therefor I do a lot of offroad driving

I have 3 options when driving 57 kilometers of off road

1 leave my wipers on constant

2 hit the stalk everytime mud/water hits my screen

3 Set the wipers

I know what you are saying,but they are very good in very wet conditions,as soon as water hits you screen the wiper comes on!and its faster than you!!!!!(hitting puddles for example)

You obviously have never used this technology

I work on the M3 developement so therefor I do a lot of offroad driving

I have 3 options when driving 57 kilometers of off road

1 leave my wipers on constant

2 hit the stalk everytime mud/water hits my screen

3 Set the wipers

I know what you are saying,but they are very good in very wet conditions,as soon as water hits you screen the wiper comes on!and its faster than you!!!!!(hitting puddles for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I think yer all mad!!:D

I love all the gimmicks no matter how pointless they are.......Just more buttons for me to push and play with on a new car:p

Worst car gimmick????? The SUV.............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Im of the same opinion too.

Its like this(to me)If you dont know what a plastic explosive is then dont use it.

Ill join yous on that too. Driving the bro's E30, no power steering, wind up windows, hard suspension etc etc. Cant beat a bit of back to basics. The weight of cars these days. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Ill join yous on that too. Driving the bro's E30, no power steering, wind up windows, hard suspension etc etc. Cant beat a bit of back to basics. The weight of cars these days. :(

What kind of E30 is that then? Would I be right if I said it was a 316i?(it might be a 318i though too, but I only remember the 316i not having PAS in it)

Typical "could only be in ireland" sort of sh1t..Someone should quiz bmw ireland over this one.Thats downright selfishness not to include the parking sensors as standard.Are our parking spaces better than those in the uk or sumthing??

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/newreviews/209562/mini_convertible.html

They really are as standard in th UK

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Worst gimmik: silicone damped grab handles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

nipplenuts wrote: »

And the Citroen lane manager thing that vibrates your car when it passes over something white

Maybe a stupid question but does it vibrate every time you cross the white line when overtaking as well? That would get annoying. Then again, its a french car so its bound to be broken down so often that its rarely on the road in the first place;). Even if it was on the road the stupid vibration thing will probably be broken!

Advertisement