Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta Central locking problem

Options
  • 16-02-2008 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Friends fiesta (2000) doors will not unlock from the drivers door (central locking), but will unlock from the passenger side door. The key does work when locking on both sides. The doors can be locked and unlocked on both sides from the inside.

So in short the key will not unlock the car using the drivers door.

Any idea what is the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My old '00 fiesta had the same problem. The lock in the driver door was just broken. Your friendly local ford dealer can replace it, shouldn't be too expensive. I think it takes them longer to actually configure the lock to work with your key than it does to install it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Thanks Stephen,

Was scouring the internet and this seems to be a common issue with Fords. Best case scenario it just might need a bit of WD40 (and I think this might work cause the key is not turning all the way to the left, whereas it is on the passenger side).
    If this is not the case the solution is either what you mentioned (and there are kits you can get to DIY), or the key could be worn (although this doesn't explain why it works on the passenger side!)

Hopefully the WD-40 will sort it out.

Thanks again.

WD40 kept mine going for a couple of weeks but it kept just getting worse and worse until eventually the key wouldn't budge in it. To rule out the key being worn, try your spare key in it. Mine made no difference! Also given that the key works fine in the passenger lock its unlikely to be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

the reason it works well in the passenger door is you never use the key in it. the barrell and key will need replacing on the drivers door as this is the most used lock on the car

You could do it on the cheap and swap the passenger barrel over to the driver door :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Thanks for the replies, the WD-40 did the trick (for now) :D

Advertisement