Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development of Dun Laoghaire Golf club

Options
  • 16-02-2008 8:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I seen this on another thread but as I don't live in the area anymore I've lost touch with the issue.

Is this still going ahead?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bump??????????????????

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

friend of mine lives next door to it, as fair as i know it is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Any idea when this is meant to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I live very near to it and I'm sure its going ahead. The plans/scale model for it was on display in the Town Hall when i was there a couple of months ago.

Are there plans online for this development as I see it'd been given the go ahead?

Or does anyone know who the developer is?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhgbgbkfidoj/

An Bord Pleanála is giving the go-ahead for the construction of a massive development on the grounds of Dun Laoghaire golf club.

The scheme includes more than 800 apartments and houses, office buildings, shops, public parks and new roads.

Local residents had lodged objections with An Bord Pleanála, but their case has been rejected by the appeals body.

It has, however, attached a number of conditions to the development, which is due to be completed on a phased basis over the next 10 years.

• Advertisement

I'm starting to wonder whether this will actually go ahead now will the economy the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

They're only developing one half of it first so I'm pretty much sure it will go ahead, always a shortage of housing in Dun Laoghaire so I'm sure they'll be snapped up pretty quickly.
    The again, maybe it will be delayed and we can all have a massive illegal rave on the land!! :D
    Or of course, something more legal, ie open air gigs for the Festival of World Cultures or even a temporary park and ride for the Festival, as parking is always a nightmare around the time of the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

crushproof wrote: »
    They're only developing one half of it first so I'm pretty much sure it will go ahead, always a shortage of housing in Dun Laoghaire so I'm sure they'll be snapped up pretty quickly.
    The again, maybe it will be delayed and we can all have a massive illegal rave on the land!! :D
    Or of course, something more legal, ie open air gigs for the Festival of World Cultures or even a temporary park and ride for the Festival, as parking is always a nightmare around the time of the festival.

Sounds good to me :pac:

I presume the developers have canned this for the foreseeable future??

I haven't heard anything on this in a long time, I presume the plans are shelved, can anyone confirm?

• Advertisement

Work has started on this.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2009/0813/1224252472704.html

Took a spin by it yesterday and there's plenty of machinery in there working away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm surprised thats going ahead to be honest. Not really a good time. They won't get €375k for a two bed by the time they're finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Ivan Gaine, managing director of Sherry FitzGerald New Homes, says that the nearest comparison is Wyckham Point in Dundrum, where one-beds are currently selling for €239,000 and two-beds from €339,000. “The Dún Laoghaire Golf Club site is a very good southside location.”

Funny that apartments are selling in Wyckham Point for that kind of money since its current unfinished state hasn't changed in over a year:confused:
    And I drove by the apartment block at the Barton Road bridge at 11pm last night and saw four lights on about a year after completion. Yeah, big demand for new housing in DLR

A lot of people will think that are will be a good place to live and I feel they are basing their pricing estimates on that. They'll need to upgrade the roads around there but basically it's going to be 2 massive housing estates once finished.

I think a lot of the facilities that should have gone in there will now not though. The plans to move the bowling green up there from beside the pavilion have been scrapped. The new library to be built on the existing bowling green have also been scrapped.

I wonder what else the council are not going to build up there now, probably won't even get a playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The new library to be built on the existing bowling green have also been scrapped.

Oh? I heard that was still going ahead. Mad water feature on the side of it and all...

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Oh? I heard that was still going ahead. Mad water feature on the side of it and all...

Seemingly they've rented out a couple of floors for it in Harbour View instead.

One of my relations is a member of the bowling green and the CC told them they weren't going to move the club so they told them they aren't moving full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Noticed the building work going on at the roundabout joining Kill Avenue, Glenagery Road and Mounttown Road lower today. Not a fan of the building work myself...

I would say not, once it really kicks into gear it's going to add a lot to the delays around the area especially when the soccer mom types from that area are dropping to the kids to/from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

There was a big crane there last weekend so it looks like work has started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

The builders are building the affordable housing first and plan to sell that to get some income for the rest of the development

Has anyone a link to online plans for the houses? I've checked the DLRCoCo site but it links to a massive doc with a few plans with a lot of information on them.

Are they still on display in the council offices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I drove past this yesterday. I'm not an eco warrior or tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but it is criminal to see all the trees ripped down and the land cleared.

And why are they building apartments? There are hundreds if not thousands of empty apartments in DLR already.

Was over with the parents earlier and had a walk down and a look around, bit of a shame to see so much green area gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Now that this huge development has sprung up, I reckon it's time to remember the actions of some of our elected representatives. Anybody who lives in the area should be interested in this:

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/jan/17/no-record-of-councillors-planning-objection/
    No record of councillor's planning objection

Mark Hilliard

AN Bord Pleanála says it has no record of any appeal from a councillor who told constituents he had officially objected to a controversial south Dublin development.

Fine Gael councillor John Bailey confirmed he had circulated around 100 letters outlining his opposition to two controversial development proposals at the former Dun Laoghaire Golf Club lands.

However, the planning authority said there is no record of any such objection to one development, while the second has not even been referred to them.

A spokesman said: "I don't see anything from anyone by that name on file."

A local source complained that the self-publicised move may have prevented various resident associations from filing their own objections.

"I sent my application in as normal, as I do all the time. I can't gather what they have done with it but I have sent it in," Bailey told the Sunday Tribune.

He also explained his decision to make two objections to separate applications in the one letter, even though appeals to individual proposals must be kept separate.

"If I did that I made an error," he said. "I am drawing their attention to the totality and the ramifications of doing that site. I never professed to be a planning expert."

The leaflets, circulated to residents in the vicinity of the development last November and printed on Fine Gael headed paper, outline his reasons for objecting. Bailey maintains he has a history of opposition to the proposed works.

However, a local source said at least one residents' association in the area decided against spending money on an objection on the basis that Bailey had covered the general concerns.

In response, Bailey said: "I don't think that is the case. All the residents' associations do their own objections; I usually put mine in at the end. I put mine in as an individual."

One of his two objections relates to the Bowls Club, on the site of the former golf club, but this has not even cleared planning at Dun Laoghaire Rathdown county council, let alone been referred to the appeals body.

The second objection relates to the northern site of the property at Glenageary Road Upper and Eglinton Park, consisting of 605 residential units.

Bailey said he submitted a joint objection to both sites on the grounds that there had been no environmental impact statement or traffic management plan, and because of devaluation of existing properties, among other reasons.

The controversial proposals have led to serious local concern.

January 17, 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Nothing would suprise me from that Bailey c**t. He is an out and out me feiner who doesn't give a hoot about his constituents only furthering his own career. And I swear to god the amount of poxy junk mail with his smug face plastered all over it that comes through my front door is outrageous.

Such a shame for a recreational facility like that to be lost to an urban area and I believe the new facility is losing one million a year. I've got a sinking feeling that there will be no winners from this whole sorry episode.

Whatever you think of him, he was right to object to this unneeded development

for the record I agree with you , he's a ****

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

AN BORD Pleanála has granted permission for more than 600 apartments and houses on the site of the former Dún Laoghaire Golf Club against the recommendation of its senior planning inspector.

The scheme of 28 houses and 577 apartments of up to seven storeys in height is the second phase of a 1,500- strong residential development on the 78-acre site bought by Cosgrave Developments eight years ago.

The board’s senior planning inspector, Dermot Kelly, who dealt with the case, had recommended against granting permission for the 605 units but his recommendation was overruled by the board.

In his report Mr Kelly had said the development should not go ahead because of the scale, height and density of the apartments proposed. He also cited concerns in relation to “project-splitting” and the decision of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council to allow the scheme before a new local development plan could be prepared for the area.

The large proportion of apartments planned – more than 95 per cent of the scheme – constituted an “excessive concentration of apartments” on the site, Mr Kelly said.

The height and scale of the apartments were excessive and would result in overdevelopment of the site, and the large number of small apartments – 80 per cent of the units are either one or two-bedroom apartments – was “inappropriate” for the area, he said.

There was a proposed “Phase IIB” of 304 units on lands which were also within the site. Separating these applications constituted a form of project splitting which would constitute “unacceptable piecemeal development”, he said.

He also noted that Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council intended to produce a local area plan for this part of the town, and that allowing this scheme in advance of this statutory plan being agreed by the council would be premature.

In deciding to reject Mr Kelly’s recommendation, the board said the proposed development was in line with the current zoning objectives and adhered to sustainability guidelines.

The need for efficient use of land justified a higher density of development at this location, and the high proportion of apartments in this phase of the development was considered acceptable, the board said.

The height of the proposed development was also “generally acceptable”.

The site was controversially rezoned for residential development by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council in 2004 following the intervention of the then environment minister Martin Cullen.

Mr Cullen had used his powers under the 2000 Planning Act to direct the council to rezone more land for housing on foot of a recommendation by the then county manager, Derek Brady, who said county councillors had created a development plan which was “deficient” in meeting its housing objectives. The rezoning was strongly opposed by Dún Laoghaire residents and was only passed by a majority of one vote by the council.

Construction of the first phase of the scheme, some 848 apartments and houses began last year, and the first five houses are due to go on sale next month.
    source

Go by it regularly, the apartments are flying up.

• Advertisement

whats the point of having a senior planning inspector if you are simply going to ignore his recommendations?

Advertisement