Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development of Dun Laoghaire Golf club

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Eyesore. Complete eyesore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

How do they decide on the number and location of councilors on the DLR council? is it geographic area, or the population?

If so, are DLR council rying to bring the vot back to Dun Laoghaire? Dundrum must be the larger of the two towns now with all the development going on there, maybe this is a form of gerrymandering by the council?

Maybe i should take this to the CT forum:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I would hope that after the fall out from them removing the road side trees, that the trees on the Dun Laoghaire side of the course are kept and integrated into the final development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I would hope that after the fall out from them removing the road side trees, that the trees on the Dun Laoghaire side of the course are kept and integrated into the final development.

I suppose that it all depends on the blue prints for the area to the east of the development. Either way, I can see a lot more trees going to make way for the rest of the apartments. They are in the process of building a quality bus corridor (QBC) beside it. I can understand the Kill Avenue side of it. However, I don't understand the whole Upper Glenageary Road part of it. The only two routes that use it are the infrequent 7d and 8 bus routes. As such, I don't see how a hand full of buses from Monday to Friday would justify a QBC on any stretch of Upper Glenageary Road. Unless there are plans to introduce routes from Sallynoggin and Loughlinstown through this stretch of road. Oh, and they are also constructing a bowling center on the grounds as well. Anyway, I look forward to seeing the development in it's completed state.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I hope they retain the ones on the Tivoli Road/Glenageary Woods end, would be very surpised if they left the site devoid of greenery though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

does anyone know if its possible to see the plans online anywhere or is it only available in the coco offices....??

especially the bowling club/tivoli road end of the development....??

jb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

does anyone know if its possible to see the plans online anywhere or is it only available in the coco offices....??

especially the bowling club/tivoli road end of the development....??

jb

Have you checked the online planning apps on dlrcoco.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

I've been able to find plan drawings which are mostly engineering, I can't find any elevations or details of roofline height for the housing blocks c1-c3...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 negative equity

They have started to cut down the mature trees that border the golf club lands and tivoli close/woodlawn park/ mounttown park and highthorn park this week. It appears that ALL of the trees will be cut and removed to maximise the land area for building.
    I have tried to view a map online from DLRCOCO but cannot find a link.
    I thought in the original planning submission one line of these trees were to be retained.

They have started to cut down the mature trees that border the golf club lands and tivoli close/woodlawn park/ mounttown park and highthorn park this week. It appears that ALL of the trees will be cut and removed to maximise the land area for building.
    I have tried to view a map online from DLRCOCO but cannot find a link.
    I thought in the original planning submission one line of these trees were to be retained.

If the reduction in tree population in the site in question is an issue, it is possible to move trees instead of killing them. The Dutchman Tree Spade is a device that springs to mind. It's a wonder that no administrative counties in Ireland have thought of investing in one. The Dutchman Tree Spade is capable of moving entire trees in less than 5 minutes. This way, any development that is carried out on existing forest land or other wooded areas (such as commercial and/or residential centers, road construction or electricity lines) doesn't necessarily have to involve the existing method of cutting down trees. In case nobody believes me, here is a video of one in action:

:cool:

Either-way, this should keep tree huger brigade happy.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

There's usually a tree survey attached to large planning applications like this one. I'm sure the Council wouldn't have approved the project without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Planning permission is D08A/1379. The application on the Councils planning search has reams of drawings and surveys including the tree survey. All the trees are certainly not being removed, some of the low shrubs and scrub are being taken out but the mature trees are mostly staying, certainly along the boundaries of Woodlawn, Mounttown Park, Highthorn Park and Glenageary Woods.

As far as Ive heard they arent even building there yet, its just keeping the land clear of undergrowth and dark spots for security reasons

Edit: The Bord Pleanála determination of appeal (D235181) made further conditions on tree retention and supervision of preservation and new planting by an arboriculturalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Grid. wrote: »
    I hope they retain the ones on the Tivoli Road/Glenageary Woods end, would be very surpised if they left the site devoid of greenery though!

Unfortunately, DL has lost so many trees in the last few years, NONE of which have been replaced.

You know, there was a very elaborate expensive Tree Strategy commissioned by the Coco in 2010 or around that time, again NONE of which has been implemented.

Look on the Old Dun Leary road past the Purty Kitchen, many of these trees have been cut down and not replaced, and many of the trees further up along the coast, also removed and never replanted. The same goes for many of the trees that have died or been vandilised in the hand-full of public parks/strees that we have in the area. I know in my local park, there was a bit of a spurt of planting in the 2006, but most of the trees were just fecked into the ground, with insufficient support and NO after care, so most of these never made it past the first year, not that the CoCo have noticed.

I urge you to contact the Environmental section of the Coco and ask as to why this tree strategy has not been implemented.

Funds?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Funds?

There will always be the excuse of funds. Even when things were good, like I said they fecked the trees into the ground and most of them never made it passed the 1 year mark.

I have offered, would gladly offer to help plant trees in the area where they have been taken away but to no avail. I could easily round up a few like minded people also to do this, but we would need the cooperation of the Coco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Chinasea wrote: »

I urge you to contact the Environmental section of the Coco and ask as to why this tree strategy has not been implemented.

This is a good time to be chasing local Councillors, with the local elections fast approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sineadbcoyle

Another thing to note about the development is that it promised public space. A friend of mine is living in an affordable housing scheme apartment there and has to pay about €600 a year in "management fees" for the upkeep of this public space, namely a pond and a bench currently.

Also there is a private clamping company that patrol the area that don't care if you're visiting as a guest. There aren't enough parking spaces and a friend of mine got clamped there (€75 release fee I think). She appealed, and fortunately got it back, because the sign wasn't displayed prominently enough. But if you have a public park, how are drivers going to get there? I guess they hope people will take the non-existent public transport? Anyway, when the main shopping area is built, you might be able to park there without being clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is there not a playground there? Fairly sure I saw one going past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is there not a playground there? Fairly sure I saw one going past it.

There is, you can see it from the road

Another thing to note about the development is that it promised public space. A friend of mine is living in an affordable housing scheme apartment there and has to pay about €600 a year in "management fees" for the upkeep of this public space, namely a pond and a bench currently.

Also there is a private clamping company that patrol the area that don't care if you're visiting as a guest. There aren't enough parking spaces and a friend of mine got clamped there (€75 release fee I think). She appealed, and fortunately got it back, because the sign wasn't displayed prominently enough. But if you have a public park, how are drivers going to get there? I guess they hope people will take the non-existent public transport? Anyway, when the main shopping area is built, you might be able to park there without being clamped.
    Sinead the money pays for a sinking fund, insurance, electricity for common areas. The cleaning if common areas, bins etc

• Advertisement

But if you have a public park, how are drivers going to get there? I guess they hope people will take the non-existent public transport? Anyway, when the main shopping area is built, you might be able to park there without being clamped.

It is extremely well served by public transport, 46a, 75, 7, and possibly more, all within minutes walk. Plus there is always the option to walk or cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Basically, everything you've said is wrong or at least not fully correct. What's your problem with this place as it's not based on logic or facts?

Yeah thats a comical comment, this site is served by the most reliable and frequent bus route in the City, which in turn is a 5 minute ride to the DART, short of a red carpet from your front door to a waiting taxi its about as good as public transport gets. Also I remember reading the Bord Pleanala condition that the developer was to provide a dedicated bus for the residents to travel from the 'distant' parts of the development!! How useless, lazy and dependent people have become never ceases to amaze me.

On the 'public' park issue, beware, for the moment the Park and Pond etc are private as the development has not been taken over by the Council and probably wont be until all the building has finished in a few years. As it stands Ive heard non-residents are being asked to leave the park if they are seen there, and the management company are within their rights to do that. Same goes for Parking etc., but its daft if the residents dont demand visitor passes to cater for friends, tradesmen etc

Basically, everything you've said is wrong or at least not fully correct. What's your problem with this place as it's not based on logic or facts?

Wow thanks for that. I presented the facts: the development plans included plans for public space (true), residents have to pay €600 in management fees (true), private claimping company (true). The facts I had wrong were the public transport (forgot about the 46a, was thinking of the sparsely timetabled 8 bus on that road) and that there is a playground. It still doesn't address the issue for drivers - what about people with reduced mobility (e.g., older people and disabled people)?

Thanks Larbre34 for this:
    On the 'public' park issue, beware, for the moment the Park and Pond etc are private as the development has not been taken over by the Council and probably wont be until all the building has finished in a few years. As it stands Ive heard non-residents are being asked to leave the park if they are seen there, and the management company are within their rights to do that. Same goes for Parking etc., but its daft if the residents dont demand visitor passes to cater for friends, tradesmen etc

I didn't know that the pond is a private part.

At the moment, every single bit of the development is private and subject to whatever parking and access restrictions the people managing the estate decide to do. Whether or not the residents are involved in those decisions is between them and the developer/property manager.

At the moment, every single bit of the development is private and subject to whatever parking and access restrictions the people managing the estate decide to do. Whether or not the residents are involved in those decisions is between them and the developer/property manager.

Thanks Larbre34. I haven't been able to find much information on the development time scale - e.g., when they plan on building in the public parks.

Thanks Larbre34. I haven't been able to find much information on the development time scale - e.g., when they plan on building in the public parks.

The public park is currently the private park. The whole issue of it being publicly accessible doesn't arise until the streets and open spaces are 'taken-in-charge' by DLR Council. That doesnt normally happen until building work is complete on the whole site and the developer offers it and the Council review whether it is up to standard to allow it to be handed over.

Depending on Cosgraves thinking, they could hand over the southern golf course site (this is the site currently half constructed) or wait until they build the northern site too (far side of Glenageary Road with all the trees recently removed) before offering the development to the Council to take over.

In short it could be another 4-5 years before anything becomes publicly accessible, apart from the new Supermarket and other shops, which are on a self contained site within.

Wow thanks for that. I presented the facts: the development plans included plans for public space (true), residents have to pay €600 in management fees (true), private claimping company (true). The facts I had wrong were the public transport (forgot about the 46a, was thinking of the sparsely timetabled 8 bus on that road) and that there is a playground. It still doesn't address the issue for drivers - what about people with reduced mobility (e.g., older people and disabled people)?

Thanks Larbre34 for this:

Sinead you said
    "about €600 a year in "management fees" for the upkeep of this public space, namely a pond and a bench currently"

that is incorrect.

ted1 wrote: »
    Sinead you said
    "about €600 a year in "management fees" for the upkeep of this public space, namely a pond and a bench currently"

that is incorrect.

Ok fair enough. What I probably should have said is that this isn't explained to the residents what this is for. Ted1 - is that information from Wyse, the property management company?

I just found this thread on property pin now, funny/opinionated comment on whether to buy property in Honey Park:
    http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44238
    One of the comments:
    Then there's the park, and the main problem. There's a maintenance charge for upkeep of the facilities there - however the park, lake and playground are all freely accessible to the public. WTF! The 4 bed show house basically fronted onto the grass beside the lake - which on a sunny day will see all sort of trippers with 6 packs of Tayto and tinnies parked outside your living room window. Every lounger from the surrounding area will be knocking around in there. Even on Saturday the 5 bed house (about 20 yrds from Kill Lane) had a bunch of local tracksuited kids frolicking about outside the front door.

Sorry, but this experiment in social inclusion has the makings of a disaster. Certainly not one I'd risk purchasing a luxury home in the middle of.

• Advertisement

I've driven through there twice over the last month and I noticed that they have erected a bus shelter near the Kill Avenue entrance to Honey Park. Moreover, they are currently erecting either one or two bus shelters near the Upper Glenageary Road entrance beside the new shopping center development. I wonder what routes will serve these stops?

Will there be brand new routes or will they simply reroute the 7D or 8 through the developments?

Either-way, it will be interesting to see what becomes of these stops.

It's going to be dead handy having a Boots, Tesco and Costa Coffee close by!:D

Advertisement