Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line contention

Options
  • 16-02-2008 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

For the past 6 months my connection has been getting worse. (3mbit Eircom in Nenagh). Now at peak times my upload is the same speed as my download, about 34 kbs. :(
    The main thing I like about Eircom is they have never enforced their cap.
    I take it that it would be a waste of time ringing them. Maybe I should just downgrade to a slower package as what I have now is a waste of money.
    What are my options?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think you have to get a mimimum of 128Kbps, if you don't get that then they have to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Sorry I meant 34 KBs (kilobytes) so it's well over 128kbs but still only a fraction of the 3 mbits I should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

tuxy wrote: »
    For the past 6 months my connection has been getting worse. (3mbit Eircom in Nenagh). Now at peak times my upload is the same speed as my download, about 34 kbs. :(
    The main thing I like about Eircom is they have never enforced their cap.
    I take it that it would be a waste of time ringing them. Maybe I should just downgrade to a slower package as what I have now is a waste of money.
    What are my options?

I'm sure you’re not the only one who is affected by Eircom cap on with your broadband service. The reason most ISP have a cap with there service is to stop people abusing the service. I think you have a fault on your line, router or even the way you have your broadband setup.

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I'm sure you’re not the only one who is affected by Eircom cap on with your broadband service. The reason most ISP have a cap with there service is to stop people abusing the service. I think you have a fault on your line, router or even the way you have your broadband setup.

So how do you explain normal speeds at 04:00. It's a contention issue, I'm sure of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well you are not going to improve things by not contacting them. All the Eircom bashing in the world on here will not improve your situation.

There have been threads on here from time to time where people experience similar problems to yourself and it emerges that there is a problem locally.

Contact Eircom - write to the Chief Executive if necessary - but do something!

Given that your speed improves at off peak times it is unlikely to be your line but check your line stats anyway.

• Advertisement

Good point, will give them a ring in the morning and report back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

let me know if it makes a difference

click start>run type prefetch and enter and delete everythin in there, then start>run>cmd enter type ipconfig/flushdns enter, should make the speeds better idt did for me and repeat this every few days

Yes Eircom have also been having dns problems, I now use opendns so that solves that problem. I use IP address to heanet when doing my speed tests so dns is not the main issue here.

give the eircom dns a go again i use them and dont have any problems
    i use 213.94.190.194

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

What have you connected off the line.

Do you have a phone/fax, are you using a propper dsl filter.
    Is the BB going straight into an eircom modem.
    What shape is the Eircom termination in

Advertisement