Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Better Looking M3 - E46 or E92 ?

Options
  • 16-02-2008 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I know the new M3 is faster and has alot more gizmos and do-das BUT I'm not sure if its as good looking as the older E46 version. For a start the new one has got flared arches but they are not nearly as distinctive and agressive as those on the older one, and I'm not sold on those new mirrors either....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I have to say, E46 model all the way - way nicer looking, and I thought a little more subtle.

The fact that the colour I keep seeing the E92 being advertised in is white doesn't help, but yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

yes the e46 M3 is a lot nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

E46 vote from me. E92 bonnet, side skirts and bumper at back look too fussy. A 335i looks nicer than the E92 M3 and for me is more desireable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

E46.... imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

m3 are my favourite cars in the whole world!particularly e36's(just bought an e36m3) .

the m3 has got worse looking since the begining. e30m3 was the best,then the e36 then e46 and now the ugliest of them all the e92. still stunning though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Some pics should help to decide

E46
    painted_desert3.jpg
    1805027IMG1555.JPG
    083.jpg
    SIG_A.jpg
    100_0931.jpg

New M3 (coupe and sedan)
    92855123.jpg
    92891295.jpg
    92892373.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

E92. No contest really:D!

E92 wrote: »
    E92. No contest really:D!

I like both really. Just 2 different styles.
    The E92 definitely look nasty in red. Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

The CSL was nice, otherwise I prefer the E92.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They're both pretty tacky compared to the standard car they're based on, IMO. The E28 and perhaps the E34 M5s were the only M cars that weren't uglier than the 'base' models.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 markdoy

I have a 05 E46 M3 and I definitely feel it is a better looking car - more aggressive styling. I have it in Estoril blue with the 19" CSL alloys. However hand me the keys of an E92 and we will be best mates!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

That pic above with the saloon 4dr new M3 looks like the "corkscrew" at laguna seca.Is it by any chance???

markdoy wrote: »
    I have a 05 E46 M3 and I definitely feel it is a better looking car - more aggressive styling. I have it in Estoril blue with the 19" CSL alloys. However hand me the keys of an E92 and we will be best mates!!

Check the AC Schitzer models and other German brands, you might be surprised.
    And like anything new your eyes are not used to.
    From a design point of view, the new M3 is a lot more massive and aggressive than the E46.
    Seen one in dealership in UK couple of months ago, it was massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

markdoy wrote: »

have you a picture of said car? i have my doubts about it being estoril blue but go ahead and prove me wrong. unless it was special order i'd say your confusing it with laguna seca blue

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

E46 for me, Chris Bangle didn't get his hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

If I was offered a new E92 or a second hand E43 csl, I'd go for the csl.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

E46... Gan aon amhras ar sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

have you a picture of said car? i have my doubts about it being estoril blue but go ahead and prove me wrong. unless it was special order i'd say your confusing it with laguna seca blue

Huh? Estoril Blue is one of the more common M3 colours - LSB is the rare one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Zonda999 wrote: »
    That pic above with the saloon 4dr new M3 looks like the "corkscrew" at laguna seca.Is it by any chance???

Thats it allright. I remember seeing an indycar driver killed on that corner a few years ago. The bottom pic is at the corkscrew also. (Black E92)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

The e46 M3....love them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bazz26 wrote: »
    E46 for me, Chris Bangle didn't get his hands on it.
    erm, yes he did! He oversaw the upgrade!

Have attached pic of her here

BoomBoom

Looked at the VRT sheet that lists the extras and it says BMW Individual Estoril Blue on it. Pic shows her with original 19s on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

E92 all the way for me, though I have to admit I have yet to see one in the flesh. E46 is still a good looking car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

impr0v wrote: »
    E92 all the way for me, though I have to admit I have yet to see one in the flesh. E46 is still a good looking car.

I've not seen the E92 M3 in the metal either, but going on the exterior and interior of the lesser models. The E46 is way more attractive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hearto83

Fabritzo wrote: »
    The CSL was nice, otherwise I prefer the E92.

Have to agree with you here, CSL is amazing but pricy and rare enuff, but the e92 in silverstone red with carbon roof and 22" looks tight

Estoril is much more common than the Laguna seca blue.....estoril is the colour a lot of e36 & e46's were, the laguna is the flat blue

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭BSPOKE20

No contest really...is there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

I thought Estoril only was available in Individual spec? Don't get the ''prefer the E46, Bangle didn't design it'' - he didn't design the E92 did he ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

BSPOKE20 wrote: »
    No contest really...is there!!
    Would I be right in saying the second better car is a csl?

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying the second better car is a csl?

The CSL has a single hole in the front bumper and the rear does not look like a CSL.

Advertisement