Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Better Looking M3 - E46 or E92 ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MarkN wrote: »
    I thought Estoril only was available in Individual spec? Don't get the ''prefer the E46, Bangle didn't design it'' - he didn't design the E92 did he ??
    Bangle gets the blame for the current crop of BMWs that have weepy headlights, and lines where they shouldn't have.

Z4 is worst offender. Good enough car, shame about all those lines... they're just wrong.

4USBT334X3LR60116-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hearto83

Plug wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying the second better car is a csl?

Yea, its a csl but has had a wheel swap. the csl came with a carbon roof, bumper with carbon deflectors and an air scoop for the intake feed.

Estoril was pretty much always a 'special paint' order, not individual. the individual is always a rare limited edition colour, like the onxy blue, ruby black etc in the E90's, and features different colour trims, where as the special orders you can spec them with anything available, you just gotta wait.
    In the case of E46 M3's most people buying them would do this anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

IMO the M3's have gotten worse over the years !

The original is still the best looking, the E30. The E36 was nice, very subtle, its just got worse after that.

Anyway I'd pick the E46 of the E92 without question, and forget all those bling bling blue colours, a nice grey is cool enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

E46 with a E92 bonnet, and i'm sold.

True, u cant beat an E30 in LHD as they should be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That E30 is horrible. Only 1 wiper, wrong mirrors etc.

Stock E30s ftw though!

The E30 is still the best looking car BMW ever made, though trying to find a good looking one these days is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I wouldn't exactly say its horrible, i just didn't have time to find a good EVO III.
    That 1 is actually a II with the lip spoiler & rear adjustable off a III.

If u want a nice one, go to Germany, but u'll need a lot of cash

I think this is the nicest BMW made, then the Evo III, followed by M1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Maxwell have a 4 door M3 in Silverstone Blue in their showroom, still on delivery blocks, but I must say, it looks amazing, better than most of the E92 M3's I've seen. Gilson Motors on Barrow Street in town have a (ruby?) black E92 M3 which changed my mind about the best looking M3 being the E46 CSL (apart from the E30 EVO Sport)...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

I sat in the M3 saloon in Frank Keanes and tbh you could harly tell it apart from a 316 (except for the M button on steering wheel and 3 buttons by the gear stick) Oh and what's with the plastic pedals? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

The E46 does sound very nice but I have heard two E92 M3s now and the noise from them is just beautiful. :cool:

I think that alone would sell me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭BSPOKE20

I do hole heartedly agree with that the sound of the E92 is astoundingly beautiful, that deep rumble on the push of the ignition button does makes you quiver, and yes it does certainly sound better than the E46 no question, but....I'll say it again - its not as handsome....

MarkN wrote: »
    The E46 does sound very nice but I have heard two E92 M3s now and the noise from them is just beautiful. :cool:

Even if the M3 is the all round better car, it sounds tame next to the C63 AMG. Now that's an engine noise(imo).

Back on topic. No doubt the older M3 looks great, and looks a lot better than the current one, imo. Only one correction I'd make to it is put the tail pipes in the corners.. they look too close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

I love the way an E92 looks, the only gripe I have with it is that it can look a big to long on side profile, but only slightly.

However I don't like the look of the new E92 M3, the proportions seem wrong with it, the power bulge makes it look too tall from the front and unbalanced front the side (it looks very good from the back though).

Whereas the E46 M3 was squat a mean, looking ready to pounce, the new M3 looks a bit too soft.

And the E90 M3 saloon looks all wrong imo, all bits and bobs, the C63 looks much better proportioned and neater :)

But its hard to argue with the balanced driving machine the M3 is all the same :)

2070704001Mini15L.jpg

2070704001Mini1L.jpg

2070704001Mini7L.jpg

JHMEG wrote: »
    Even if the M3 is the all round better car, it sounds tame next to the C63 AMG. Now that's an engine

I know someone in Park Motors and he said the noise off the thing is amazing.

1E34D12B-9669-5C6E-066B6D38880B56B5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Has anyone here actually heard the M3 in real life and not on a computer(apart from MarkN)?

Has anyone heard both the M3 and the C63 is perhaps a better question though.

If the computer is anything to go by, the only things that sound tame are any other V8 rivals to the M3.

The main reason is the fact that the M3 goes to no less than 8400 rpm, even the Merc can only get to 7,000 I think.

E92 wrote: »
    The main reason is the fact that the M3 goes to no less than 8400 rpm, even the Merc can only get to 7,000 I think.
    The Merc doesn't need to as the engine is far bigger. A bit like the displacement vs VTEC argument.

Either way it's the low down grunt that sound great from the Merc, not the redline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

I have test driven the E46 M3 but only sat in the E92 version (at BMW World in Munchen a few weeks ago - which I highly recommend if you haven't been there). Difficult decision but I'd plump for the E46 as it has a slightly rawer look to it. The E92 has more of a compact grand tourer look to it IMHO. However, it does have a V8 and 400bhp. Decisions decisions decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I much prefere the E46, (for looks)
    A friend on mine has the E46 SMG and his dad just ordered a E92 so ill be able to compare them better then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

either if you guys had any taste you'd go for the E30 m3 evoII which is cooler , handles better and is cheaper then the E46 let alone the E92

also

Bmw engines are race made engineput into cars and de0tuned a such for mpg reasons ( but you only lose 4-6 hp.... relax ) and merc make comforable " mortages " because they have low tourqe and cost about the same as a mortage to keep on the road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement

Is white the new black or something?

Or are the German makers paying homage to Japanese motorsport?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Like the E36 M3, I actually prefer the saloon. Anyone else? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Heard the E92 M3 this morning at Frank Keanes (are they the worst BMW dealer in Dublin? Answers on a postcard)...lovely noise, but not as good as the E39 M5 I didn't think. Frank Keane have the saloon and coupe.

Saying that, I'd have a C63 over it though.

MarkN - did you get a test drive in the new M3 yet?

Gatster wrote: »
    Heard the E92 M3 this morning at Frank Keanes (are they the worst BMW dealer in Dublin? Answers on a postcard)...lovely noise, but not as good as the E39 M5 I didn't think. Frank Keane have the saloon and coupe.

Saying that, I'd have a C63 over it though.

MarkN - did you get a test drive in the new M3 yet?

The guy driving it was out the morning we picked up the Mini but I have to get a spare key for it from them so hopefully will get out to them during this week.

I'm a little worried about driving one though.. I'm only going to want to get one !! :D:(

Advertisement