Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dice Man - George CockCroft

Options
  • 16-02-2008 9:46pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I finished The Dice Man yesterday.

Having heard about it for years I had looked forward to reading it. The idea of a bored guy using a dice to decide what he will do each day kind of appeals to the restless mind. Unfortunately I was mildly dissapointed. The story zipped along rapidly enough, but I found the last 200 pages or so go a bit flat.

I'd give it a 5/10.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I really enjoyed it, I read it about 5 years ago though, so I'm a little rusty on the details...
    Yeah, I agree it does drag towards the end, great start to the book though! "I don't think anyone ever effectively handled his [Freud's] penis" :D
    I'd say it's worth more than a 5/10, worth a read but it's not going to change your life,despite what the cover says!

Anyone ever read the sequel?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I thought it was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as his "Adventures of Wim".

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Read it about two years ago. Interesting idea, but over-long and boring as hell to read. The book just dragged along, but I persevered as I thought it might get better. 5/10 is generous, I'd give it 3/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I really enjoyed it. You have to remember that it was written in 1971. Were someone to write a book now about dice theory, it would probably run a little differently..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

haha, doonothing - yes some classic quotes in there.

I don't plan on reading the sequel. Didn't even know there was one tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It is, as others have pointed out, a brilliant premise but a dissapointing book. It starts well. The first fifty or so pages are gripping. Then it slips into a repitition it could do without. He basically uses the dice to almost exclusively decide to have sex. He doesn't really have any good ideas when it comes to listing things to do, with the exception of the
    breakout

There's some good writing in there but the book could have been chopped in half and it would have been just as good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Actually I thought one of his better ideas for dice decisions was making the 6 lists, each with 6 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's been so long since I read it that I don't remember that one! That's not the one where he's at the party and he has six different roles to play because I found that part insufferably boring.

Also confused by your thread title by the way; the pseudonym, Luke Rhinehart, has become synonymous with the book!

haha, yes! When posting the title I took a few seconds to decide if I would credit the author as Luke or George.

No, I was referring to the 6 lists he makes when choosing who to murder. The six personalities at the cocktail party was funny though - a deaf mute being the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Read it last year. Was really interested in the plot, sounded like a great idea. Bought the book along with the sequel, but was so disappointed. It really dragged on, was very boring. 5/6 would be a correct rating. Haven't bothered reading the sequel

• Advertisement
Advertisement