Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2008

• 16-02-2008 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I really think Spain will do it this year. Their team is incredible. Obviously Spain have a history of under performing so France are my other choice. I've put my bets on those 2 already and worked it so I win the exact same amount on either.

Germany are clear favourites which is probably based on their record in international tournaments but they're nothing special really. Italy are weaker now than they were at the world cup and I don't think Donadoni is anywhere near Lippi's level. Portugal are a lot of peoples favourites. Holland are really under the radar this year.

Who do you fancy? 61 votes

Germany
    0%
    Spain
    14%
    Drag00n79Unearthlyziggykraggyandrewie~Rebel~GLaDOSDubDaniKing John V 9 votes
    Italy
    27%
    Bounty HunterTuskygimmickeirebhoyAttractive NunDub13mayordenisfortunegA Dub in Glasgowba88MelioneZe^The CowboyDSBredzerdrogMr AlanGreen Giant 17 votes
    Portugal
    11%
    DerekD GoldfishDaveHStickyMcGinty[Deleted User]Xavi6GalvaseanBubs101 7 votes
    France
    18%
    PHBBrian017LostinBlanchLuckyLloydPeyton Manningjustfortherecorironictoastercm2000An Citeogpd101grames_bond 11 votes
    Croatia
    8%
    PraetoriansmackbunnybabyFozzyPigheadMikeyt086 5 votes
    Czech Republic
    6%
    pickarooneyNecronomiconkinaldopatmac 4 votes
    Netherlands
    0%
    Switzerland
    8%
    VokesChongKdjaCLevad_lhorgDaysha 5 votes
    Sweden
    1%
    Nunu 1 vote
    Greece
    0%
    Russia
    1%
    estebancambias 1 vote
    Turkey
    1%
    _blank_ 1 vote
    Poland
    0%
    Romania
    0%
    Austria
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Switzerland
    ehhhh its febuary :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Italy
    Ill be supporting Spain as per usual... Not that Im expecting anything... Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Italy
    KdjaCL wrote: »
    ehhhh its febuary :confused:
    I always make my bets at this time of the year. :) If the betting keeps going the way it is Spain will be favourites in a couple of months so get on them now if you fancy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

France
    Portugal. They're due a win, came agonisingly close last time round. Have a top quality young team that will be around for years with the likes of Ronaldo, Nani, Veloso, Moutinho, Fernandes, Simao, Quaresma, Almedia etc. and if they dont do it this time, then they're still in with a shout at the WC and Euro 2012...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Turkey
    I always like Holland, so I'll say them.

But yeah, Spain look good for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

France
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Portugal. They're due a win, came agonisingly close last time round. Have a top quality young team that will be around for years with the likes of Ronaldo, Nani, Veloso, Moutinho, Fernandes, Simao, Quaresma, Almedia etc. and if they dont do it this time, then they're still in with a shout at the WC and Euro 2012...

Spain are still bottlers.

France
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Spain are still bottlers.

Thats great. But I tipped Portugal...

Italy

I think he was agreeing with you, thus the fullstop... And then stating Spain are bottlers.

Italy
    Spain didn't do too badly at the world cup.

France

When one puts a '.' below a quoted post it means that they agree with what was written 100% and do not feel that they can add anymore to that post and, infact, that post covers most if not all of what they were going to add to the discussion as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Italy
    Reckon Spain will finally perform this time around.

France
    When one puts a '.' below a quoted post it means that they agree with what was written 100% and do not feel that they can add anymore to that post and, infact, that post covers most if not all of what they were going to add to the discussion as a whole.

Never knew that! I just thought that you quoted the wrong post :o

Heh, you learn something knew everyday! My bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Croatia
    voted for France but im not 100% sure.

Young players like Benzema, Nasri, Ribery with older players like Henry etc. They are a good shout.

Would like Portugal to win it. Actually no, i want them to crash out and Ronaldo play crap, that way Real Madrid wont come sniffing and everyone will doubt him. Whereas if they win and he is the star he will move on i fear.

France
    Forgot about France, they're in with a hell of a shout too.

Benzema and Henry up front with Nasri and Ribery behind them.....*drool*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

France
    Portugal or Spain for me. Wouldn't be suprised if some one did a Greece on it though.

France
    Never knew that! I just thought that you quoted the wrong post :o

Heh, you learn something knew everyday! My bad!

Internet, serious business. :)

France
    Internet, serious business. :)

Italy
    France's potential squad is class.

Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon), Sebastien Frey (Fiorentina), Mickael Landreau (Paris St Germain)

Eric Abidal (Barcelona), Sebastien Squillaci (Olympique Lyon), Gael Clichy, William Gallas, Bakary Sagna (all Arsenal), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Gael Givet (Olympique Marseille), Philippe Mexes (AS Roma), Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich), Lilian Thuram (Barcelona).

Lassana Diarra (Portsmouth), Mathieu Flamini (Arsenal), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Samir Nasri (Olympique Marseille), Jeremy Toulalan (Olympique Lyon), Patrick Vieira (Inter Milan), Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich).

Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea), Karim Benzema (Olympique Lyon), Sidney Govou (Olympique Lyon), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Thierry Henry (Barcelona), David Trezeguet (Juventus).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

France
    yeah ive tipped portugal for this one, i was in portugal the last time when they came SO close, i can see them doin it this year! id like to see them do it aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Italy
    be following Spain myself. quite looking forward to it actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Switzerland
    Yeh, can see Potugal making the final again.

But I'll be shouting for Holland this time around - it's all about the Vans! Yup, van Persie, van der Vaart, van der Saar, van Bronchorst, van Nistelrooy....erm, van Sneijder :o

Loving the new Away jersey: http://northamericasports.hostica.com/images/holland-nike-jersey-2008.JPG Very sexy ;)

Holland vs Portugal final would be sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Italy
    spain aswell for me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I have a feeling for Germany, don't know why, just a feeling.

Hopefully France,SpainCzech Republic and the Dutch will all have very early exits, so our players can have a rest ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Sweden
    Similiar thread over on Foot.ie, so i'll just echo my comments here:

I can't believe the amount of people I've come across labeling Switzerland in the same bracket as Austria.

I got them at great odds to make the final before the group draw (odds not as genorous now because they have a decent enough group). I think they'll have a good tournament and surprise a lot of people.

I'm going over to watch all of Frances group games with a french mate of mine - and hopefully a few more games. I'd like themselves or Portugal to win it..and think one of them will. I spent the whole summer of Euro '04 working at that tournament and made many portuguese friends. It would have been the party to end all parties had they won that tournament:(

Voted Switzerland for the crack....doubt anyone else will:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nunu wrote: »
    Voted Switzerland for the crack....doubt anyone else will:D

Well they do have Philippe Senderos :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Spain
    I voted for germany, as it is already going their way.

No matter if they come first or second they can't face Spain, France, Italy or the Netherlands until the final. By then most of them have been kicked out, and germany probably managed to get into the final by some dull 1-0 performances against Turkey and croatia or portugal in the QF and SF. In the end it's just another international tourney, and no matter how bad we make the german team to be out before the tourney, they are always there when it counts. Not pretty, but effective... a real tournament team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Portugal
    I shall be supporting Xavi and Quaresma. However I don't think either country will win it because Spain are bottlers in every big tournament and Portugal yet again lack that out and out goalscorer to complete the talent in the rest of the team. It's been their downfall in previous tournaments.

Germany or France are both good shouts but it's really hard to overlook the Italians as well.

Italy
    Spain would have a much much better chance if Koemann the idiot didnt phase Albelda out of the valencia team. He will now lack match fitness and he's the only real muscle behind the midfield finesse of Xavi/Iniesta/Cesc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

France
    Probably a toss up between Spain and Portugal. I've gone for Portugal but only by a whisker.

Still tournaments like these always throw up one surprise. I mean who would have predicted Greece last time around?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I really think Spain will do it this year.

I'm convinced the country of Spain was created purely to make bookies rich off the back of the unwitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Spain
    Can't believe Spain are being tipped. Biggest bottlers ever

France or Germany for me.

France
    Good shout above about Switzerland. They have been solid at this level for the past six years and home advantage counts for so, so, much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Italy
    I dont know why but i really think Spain will finally do it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Czech Republic
    Just been given an apartment in Basel for the month of June, now only to arrange some tickets... :)

Spain if they had a decent manager, like Del Bosque. Unfortunately they're stuck with Aragones who will probably mess their chances up again, as he did against France at the World Cup.

Greece to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Portugal
    Can't believe no-one is tipping Italy yet. Think they have a great chance. They've got the best keeper, as always a great defense, the best balanced midfield in Europe and with the Gatusso-Pirlo connection an understanding between the midfield engine that any team would kill for and assuming they just use one forward, L.T. can knock them in at will when he wants. They're also a team that works phenomenally well together and have the experience to go the distance

Thought Romania had a good outside chance before the group was draw but no I wouldn't put a dime on them. Croatia as well could cause some surprises

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Spain
    This post has been deleted.

Portugal
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Can't believe no-one is tipping Italy yet. Think they have a great chance. They've got the best keeper, as always a great defense, the best balanced midfield in Europe and with the Gatusso-Pirlo connection an understanding between the midfield engine that any team would kill for and assuming they just use one forward, L.T. can knock them in at will when he wants. They're also a team that works phenomenally well together and have the experience to go the distance

I tipped them in an earlier post. Definitely one of the best teams going into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Czech Republic
    Spain have the best team so here's hoping that will count for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Romania to do a Greece.:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Czech Republic
    Croatia for me, following in the footsteps of Denmark and the Greeks. I'll be half-heartedly cheering for France though, I suspect :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Spain
    I'm picking Germany. They always seem to peak at major tournaments (ie world cup 2002).

Portugal
    I'm picking Germany. They always seem to peak at major tournaments (ie world cup 2002).

So they peaked as a runner up? The question was who will WIN it :p

Spain
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    So they peaked as a runner up? The question was who will WIN it :p
    Well if you reread my post you'll find that I picked Germany. By saying they generally peak at major tournaments I was referring to their good form at tournaments. Lets face it they were runners up only to Brazil in 02. Not too many teams of that calibre in europe. Honestly:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

France
    France beat Brazil :P Italy beat France.
    That's two there :)

Spain
    Yep, Italy are a classy side. Justified as one of the favourites:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Portugal
    Im tipping Italy. They just seem to raise their game enough at crucial times.

Advertisement