Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloys and potholes etc

Options
  • 16-02-2008 11:18pm

Right front two tyres need changing. The alloys happen to be buckled - suprise suprise! This is my second set of alloys to get buckled in the past few years thanks to our roads.
    I have already had these alloys straightened so Im thinking instead of straightening them again and buying new tyres that I might get a set of steel rims and forget alloys altogether!

What are peoples experiences with alloys ?
    Do even smaller alloys in size 14 or 15 buckle? What about 16s?
    Are manufacturers alloys stronger? I see some are selling cars with 18inch wheels now!! Do these survive our roads??

Comments

does annyone know some good places to get alloys around Dublin? (west side preferably)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I have a set of 15" on my car, donegal roads still managed to take the roundness out of one of my wheels in less than 4,000 miles and i dont drive quick. They are ICE wheels, €480 with good Kumho tyres, so i guess i got what i paid for considering the tyres on their own would be a big part of that amount. Genuine manufactures alloy wheels seem to always last longer from what i can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

My car is on 18"s and low profile tyres and i dont seem to have any problems.
    Although on bad roads I do take it handy - some people drive over bad roads like as if they are driving a tank!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 rambler924

I have already had these alloys straightened

I have a couple of alloys in need of straightening (pot hole attacks) and would be interested to find out who dose this type of work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lisamcl

I find claiming off the local council does have a desired effect. Have had to do this twice in the past, takes about a month to get the claim processed, but not only do you get a new wheel payment out of them, but also from time to time the road may even get repaired.
    We are made to pay road tax for some reason, not that we see all that much going into the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

lisamcl wrote: »
    We are made to pay road tax for some reason, not that we see all that much going into the roads.

X2. a lot of roads i drive here are shocking but i have to use them to get to work. its a joke that i have to pay extortionate road tax on an eco friendly Ford Focus FFV and im not getting the decent roads im paying for nor anyone else either.

i guess Berties big raise has to come from somewhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Ever notice how the quality of the roads changes literally from the borders of some counties. In Cork we have these lovely dual carriageways everywhere. Get off them and it's absolute hell.

I still am on my 4th set of 18's and they are perfectly mindable if you don't blink EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I got 3 Mondeo Ghia alloys straightened last week by Collins Engineering in Bray. Top notch job, done in 4 hours too. €210 for the 3, bargain! www.wefixalloywheels.com is their website (seems down at the moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Haven't had any buckled but got two punctures from dodgy filled in road works in Blackrock last week and had to get two news tyres. So lisamcl, how did you claim? what proof did you need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lisamcl

First thing you would need to do is find the road that done the damage, take a photo of the road condition, then make contact with the county council, providing them with the photos, plus receipts/quotes of tyre and/or wheel. They then send out an assesor, who will meet you at the point of road where the damage happened, where they will take there own photos for records.
    You may have to chase them up on a few occassions, but I think it is worth the hassel, when they pay out for the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I find claiming off the local council does have a desired effect. Have had to do this twice in the past, takes about a month to get the claim processed, but not only do you get a new wheel payment out of them, but also from time to time the road may even get repaired.

+1
    I hit a pothole a few weeks ago, damaging a tyre and scuffing my wheel. I sent in a letter with some pics I took of the road to the council and they couldn't have been more helpful! I got fully re-reimbursed for my tyre. I was only sorry I didn't bill them for a new alloy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

They then send out an assesor, who will meet you at the point of road where the damage happened, where they will take there own photos for records.

They don't.

I got a PFO letter from them this morn after sending in the usuals last Thurs. Off to the small claims court for me...

Advertisement