Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

porcupine Tree

• 16-02-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else a fan? i am totally hooked on this excellent band right now.:cool:
    In Absentia, one of the best Albums i've ever heard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Yep, excellent band.

Their most recent album, Fear Of A Blank Planet, is rather good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

blastman wrote: »
    Yep, excellent band.

Their most recent album, Fear Of A Blank Planet, is rather good too.

love that album as well, also got Lightulb Sun and Deadwing, Signify and the Sky Moves Sideways. plus a friend sent me recordings, 1 and 2 as well as XM. and XM 2
    My next Band on my need to see live list.

Wow, a friend just told me that a lot of the tracks on In Absentia are about the Wests, Fred and his wife, reading the Lyrics of Strip the Soul seems to prove it.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Man it seems like we have a thread at least once a month about these guys .

Man it seems like we have a thread at least once a month about these guys .

Apologies, i missed the other threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

The pre-signifiy stuff is excellent, if you can get into it.

mp3guy wrote: »
    The pre-signifiy stuff is excellent, if you can get into it.

Agree, it did take longer for it to click.
    Can't get my hands on their first album though, apparently some of the earlier stuff had limited release, but most of it is due to be re-released later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

my brothers into them, im indifferent, theyre nominated for a grammy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

Gavin Harrison is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm listening to them cos they playing a festival I'm going to. Really really like the stuff I've heard. Gonna buy an album or three. Any recommendations(gonna get Fear of a Blank Planet anyway, loving that song).

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    I'm listening to them cos they playing a festival I'm going to. Really really like the stuff I've heard. Gonna buy an album or three. Any recommendations(gonna get Fear of a Blank Planet anyway, loving that song).

Good choice, and you'll definitely need In Absentia.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Yep, absolutely savage band. What's there to say that hasn't been said?

Anyone heard Blackfields? It's Steve Wilson's side project with an Israeli musician. Pretty cool stuff, more mainstream than PT.

As for three album to buy, get Fear of a Blank Planet, the Nil Recurring EP (OMG I love 'Cheating The Polygraph'), and Deadwing. Good for starters. I have the entire discography now, weighs in at about 3GB on my PC. I think there's about 30 albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ziltoid

Nil Recurring was just leftovers of Fear of a Blank Planet and I definitely wouldn't recomend it. Porcupine Trees best albums to me would be In Absentia and Signify. Deadwing definitely has some of their best songs but it doesn't flow as well as AI & Sig. Fear of a Blank Planet is an awesome experience as well ever though it has a few ify moments. One of the best bands around at the moment.
    All you peeps should buy Marbles by Marillion, Dogman by Kings X, Images & Words by Dream Theater, and Ocean Machine by Devin Townsend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Ziltoid wrote: »
    Nil Recurring was just leftovers of Fear of a Blank Planet and I definitely wouldn't recomend it

I'd say the opposite really, normal and cheating the polygraph on it are brilliant.

I agree, those two songs I actually find better than the first two songs on FOABP, as well as What Happens Now. Leftovers they are not, the only reasoning behind the exclusion from the album would be Wilson's adherence to the album's consistency and mood, these songs, while excellent, don't work with the overall album; they are however excellent as an EP. As for those other bands, I don't like Dream Theater very much at all, mostly LaBrie's vocals and the overall simplicity with added "cheese factor" don't appeal to me. Marillion are just cheese lavished with several brands of cheese (not to mention repetitive) and King's X are alright, but nothing to write home about IMO. Supposedly great live though.

If you want some prog recommendations, definitely get King Crimson, Camel, some Yes, Cynic, Coprofago (for that metal twist), Opeth (Wilson produced two albums for them and drew inspiration from them) and Gordian Knot. There's plenty more where that came from, if anyone wants more, but I'm sure these groups are reiterated throughout the dozens of prog related posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I had On the Sunday of Life and Up the Downstair but I didn't really get into them at all. Then a few people told me to try something newer so I got In Absentia. Thats a really deadly album. I've been listening to it a lot since I got my hands on it.

Demeyes wrote: »
    I had On the Sunday of Life and Up the Downstair but I didn't really get into them at all. Then a few people told me to try something newer so I got In Absentia. Thats a really deadly album. I've been listening to it a lot since I got my hands on it.

Incredible Album, the earlier stuff, esp the first two albums are very different indeed,i find it hard to get into them as well, but it was In Absentia that got me hooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I love In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun... Trains is one of my all time favourite songs.

For the collectors, try and find XM1 and XM2 (Full sessions recorded for XM Satellite Radio) - I believe they were released to the fan club only, and Out Absentia (unauthorised bootleg of tracks that were cut from In Absentia)

On a side note, I had a snippet of Fadeaway as my ringtone on my last phone. I gave my phone to my brother when I upgraded, and he says he has been asked by a good few people what the music is from...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ikey82

Yes. one of the great band. I like them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Anyone who has posted on this thread who doesnt own the "Arriving somewhere..." dvd should buy it. today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ziltoid

I agree, those two songs I actually find better than the first two songs on FOABP, as well as What Happens Now. Leftovers they are not, the only reasoning behind the exclusion from the album would be Wilson's adherence to the album's consistency and mood, these songs, while excellent, don't work with the overall album; they are however excellent as an EP. As for those other bands, I don't like Dream Theater very much at all, mostly LaBrie's vocals and the overall simplicity with added "cheese factor" don't appeal to me. Marillion are just cheese lavished with several brands of cheese (not to mention repetitive) and King's X are alright, but nothing to write home about IMO. Supposedly great live though.

If you want some prog recommendations, definitely get King Crimson, Camel, some Yes, Cynic, Coprofago (for that metal twist), Opeth (Wilson produced two albums for them and drew inspiration from them) and Gordian Knot. There's plenty more where that came from, if anyone wants more, but I'm sure these groups are reiterated throughout the dozens of prog related posts.

Some of what you said may be true but the specific albums I mentioned are hard not to dig. You've obviously never heard Marbles. Also Opeth are far more repetitive than Marillion. Gordian Knot are great though! I don't know where you got the whole simplicity/Dream Theater connection.

TBH, most people dismiss Marillion without even listening to anything they've done in the last twenty years or so. It's blatantly obvious LightofDarkness hasn't heard Marbles, or Brave either, I'd say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I'm a big Marillion and Fish fan and have meant for quite a while to check them out, what would I start with??

For Marillion, start with Marbles, one of their more recent releases but reckoned to be among their best. There's a couple of longer songs on it, but in general it's very easy to get into and has a good variety in the songs. Then try Afraid Of Sunlight, a bit older but still very accessible. For something a bit more proggy, Brave is generally acknowledged as their masterpiece.

Fish's solo stuff I'm not as familiar with, but he has a best of called Bouillabaisse which is very good and an excellent intro. Fellini Nights and Raingods With Zippos are two albums which garner a lot of recommendations from what I've heard.

For Marillion info: http://www.marillion.com

For Fish info: http://www.the-company.com

Most of that post was just in response to Ziltoid's post about Nil Recurring, just to show how easy it is to write something off with stereotypical criticisms (leftovers?). Sorry, I just don't like that epic, operatic/theatrical, over-the-top sort of thing. Or the ballad type stuff, for that matter. Like I really don't like Metropolis Pt. II by Dream Theater. It just sounds ridiculous to me, I can't take it seriously. I used to like that stuff, more for the technical playing, like John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy. I still like some Liquid Tension Experiment. But I'm much more into the jazzy side of things these days, and these guys don't make interesting enough music for my tastes any more. Not saying I'm intellectually superior or something, I just don't like it. And I only mentioned Opeth because they are connected to Wilson. I still kind of like Opeth, but not half as much as I once did.

I have heard Marbles, and it really just didn't appeal to me. I'm not going to apologise for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

blastman wrote: »
    For Marillion, start with Marbles, one of their more recent releases but reckoned to be among their best. There's a couple of longer songs on it, but in general it's very easy to get into and has a good variety in the songs. Then try Afraid Of Sunlight, a bit older but still very accessible. For something a bit more proggy, Brave is generally acknowledged as their masterpiece.

Fish's solo stuff I'm not as familiar with, but he has a best of called Bouillabaisse which is very good and an excellent intro. Fellini Nights and Raingods With Zippos are two albums which garner a lot of recommendations from what I've heard.

For Marillion info: http://www.marillion.com

For Fish info: http://www.the-company.com

Will do, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Found a new PT EP lately called We Lost The Skyline. Its a live recording in front of a small audience - Steve Wilson on his own with a guitar playing some PT songs, with John Wesley joining him for a few tracks. Just 8 short tracks (including The Sky Moves Sideways, Trains, Lazarus and Waiting), but its really good. Worth hunting down. Check here for a review.

Cheers Mr E.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

galwayrush wrote: »
    Anyone else a fan? i am totally hooked on this excellent band right now.:cool:
    In Absentia, one of the best Albums I've ever heard.
    Yes a brilliant band there latest album Fear Of a Blank Planet is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Just got into PT since last week. I like Up the Downstair, although my criticism of it would be that its a little bit too indebted to Pink Floyd.

Fear of Blank Planet is quite good too. Tracks 3 and 7 are my favourites. I like the way Wilson adapts his influences and puts his own interpretations on them.

Advertisement