Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Towing a trailer - the legality of it all?

Options
  • 17-02-2008 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Ok ..I know about weight limits, driving licence requirements, speed limits and all that.

What I don't know is:

Does a trailer need a number plate, if so which one ...its own, the plate of the tow car, the plate of the owners tow car (in case you hire one_ ?

What about insurance? Are you automatically covered for a trailer, do you need extra cover, can you get it for a day or two if you were to rent one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

the trailer has to have the same reg plate as whats towin it and not sure bout other insurance companies but quinn cover ya to tow a 750 kg trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Large truck trailers have their own registration plates which are usually displayed in the side but the registration of the tractor must be displayed at the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

peasant wrote: »
    Ok ..I know about weight limits, driving licence requirements, speed limits and all that.

What I don't know is:

Does a trailer need a number plate, if so which one ...its own, the plate of the tow car, the plate of the owners tow car (in case you hire one_ ?

The trailer needs to have the plate from the tow car on it. Also make sure it has functioning lights or get a trailer board.
    What about insurance? Are you automatically covered for a trailer, do you need extra cover, can you get it for a day or two if you were to rent one?

Thanks

You'd need to tell your insurance company that you have modified your car by fitting a tow hitch, it's no extra charge and will cover for domestic trailers.

Large trailers need their own TP insurance, I don't know what they would consider large, but AFAIK it's only HGV trailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Del2005 wrote: »
    The trailer needs to have the plate from the tow car on it. Also make sure it has functioning lights or get a trailer board.

You'd need to tell your insurance company that you have modified your car by fitting a tow hitch, it's no extra charge and will cover for domestic trailers.

Large trailers need their own TP insurance, I don't know what they would consider large, but AFAIK it's only HGV trailers.

Hi have 2 trailers - tow em' all the time with a van i have and a jeep i have as part of my personal business.
    The jeep and van insurance i have is provided by FBD and has tow cover on both - meaning I'm insured comprehensively on the vehicle I'm driving whilst towing and the trailer I'm towing is covered to third party standard I think. The tow cover cost is FOC, i think.......but then again FBD give me such good cover maybe theres a small charge, but its worth it.
    In relation ot the trailers I have, one is a cheap tandem axle builder type trailer which i use and when friends use unfortunately abuse, but i also have a lovely big Irof Williams tow van unit...and i have this insured for theft (pikies love to knick em from premises)for just €50 considering it costs over 7k new - good value imho.

Re; reg plate - I'm not sure if its irish law, but the ifor williams taiklers are all spec'd out with number plate lights etc , so if its a uk spec thing, the irish seems to follow......but I dont know if its law. Personally i think it should be and that no-one should be on the road without good lights, safety chain,brakes,number plates the lot etc. The state of some trailers you see and fellas flying along doing 120k's with them bouncing behind.

just a thought tho', its very important to be covered by the right insutance to tow whatever you tow. For instance, there was a tragic accident there a few years back in the west of Ireland where a cattle trailer came uncoupled from the back of a jeep and crossed over the road and hit a on coming car head on causing the death of some people. Very sad to witness on the tv i recall - but goes to show that you need the right cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Don't forget to get a trailer licence if your going to tow a large trailer. I think it's E+B. have fun getting a test;):D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement