Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks: Read this or you will get banned

• 17-02-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭

[Updated by TimAy]

Re: The Mocks Clampdown

As you can see, we've locked basically all mocks threads for the moment as the forum has become inundated with mocks requests, and the posting of mock papers etc. So here are a few rules to keep in mind:

1) NO POSTING OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS - for those of you who may not realise it, this includes exam papers. We're not going to delete posts containing questions etc., but i would hope you have all have a bit more cop on than just to cheat on an exam that doesn't even matter. I mean really, what are yee thinking?

2) NO POSTING OF QUESTIONS. Posting actual questions from mocks papers is as good as cheating, and we've had enough of it, so from now on, detailed postings of exam questions will be deleted.

3) NO STUPID FONTS. This is an aside. Posting in pink font won't get you an answer quicker and for some reason it seems to be more prevalent in mocks threads. Anyway, it will get you a ban, so stop.

BASICALLY:
    It's common sense. We aren't banning the discussion of mocks, only the posting of mocks papers and mock questions. The mocks are there as a preparation for the exams. Not to sound like your parents, but there is actually no point in cheating in them. Also, they aren't a particularly good representation of what you are going to get in the the LC. I failed two exams miserably in the mocks, and ended up getting an A in both.

Anyone breaking rules 1 and 2 will have their posts deleted, and will be banned for a duration of our choosing. This will be somewhere varying between 1 week, and the day the leaving finishes. Depends on how we feel on the day.

This is a help forum, not a cheat forum - keep that in mind folks.

crash_000 and TimAy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Fair play, I was thinking of saying something along these lines regarding the ammount of people asking for the mock papers, but since i have no power, it would just be laughed off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Thank christ. I've been trying to avoid cheating in the mocks at all costs, and this forum wasn't helping at all.
    Good decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

k dunno wer else 2 ask cuz my posts kep disapperin (why???) but does any1 have the examcraft French paprs????? :p

In all seriousness, thank God for that. I was starting to wonder why seemingly nobody was addressing the issue. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

thank you!!

i was begining to question the moderator thing there for a while cos this has been going on for about a month.

for some strange reason when i started a thread asking people why they felt they needed to abuse this helpful advice getting forum by posting the mocks it was locked by a mod for god knows why and i was annoyed.

i think you should delete all mock paper threads because they are breaking copyright.

the traffic through here increased 100% in the last fews weeks at it is a shame that hundreds if not thousands have "benefitted" from this.

bad for what boards.ie is about, in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

While traffic up tends to equal good, I think I would not be entirely inaccurate to presume that most of the new users will disappear once they get their mocks help, so they're contributing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

While traffic up tends to equal good, I think I would not be entirely inaccurate to presume that most of the new users will disappear once they get their mocks help, so they're contributing nothing.

True bcos people who have used boards to cheat in theirr mocks will have do some proper study for the real thing where cheating wont be possible.Maybe they'll spend their time doin that instead of boards!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Zonda999 wrote: »
    True bcos people who have used boards to cheat in theirr mocks will have do some proper study for the real thing where cheating wont be possible.......

Ya never know, there must be someone who can get their hands on the papers for the leaving and post them all over boards. Fingers crossed... :cool:

Peleus wrote: »
    Ya never know, there must be someone who can get their hands on the papers for the leaving and post them all over boards. Fingers crossed... :cool:

Would be sweet but VERY VERY unlikely IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Would be sweet but VERY VERY unlikely IMO

Well if EVERYONE took that defeatist attitude, it would never have any chance of happening, now would it?
    That's exactly the kind of pessimistic thinking we could really manage without, you know...:mad::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xxorlaxx

ya i only joined this after my mocks were over....:)
    im kinda happy that i didnt come on before my mocks....
    except im dreading the results now cause there coming back this week:confused:

Well if EVERYONE took that defeatist attitude, it would never have any chance of happening, now would it?
    That's exactly the kind of pessimistic thinking we could really manage without, you know...:mad::D

Ok then i'm living in total anticipation of that happening now, satisfied???

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

lolz or somebody just can post the paper and say well.. this is the "actual" lc paper :D

Would be funny now on the day then .. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I think the teachers get the paper before the exam, certainly for the JC anyhoo, because my brother told that his maths teacher gave them 2 of the exact questions that were on the paper a week beforehand.

And in the unlikely event that they did fall onto the hands of a boardsie then nobody would believe them, bet you a fiver...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Updated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,470 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jay P wrote: »
    I think the teachers get the paper before the exam, certainly for the JC anyhoo, because my brother told that his maths teacher gave them 2 of the exact questions that were on the paper a week beforehand.

And in the unlikely event that they did fall onto the hands of a boardsie then nobody would believe them, bet you a fiver...

Such ****e you do talk. Do you really believe the SEC circulate the LC papers before the exams? I hate this smiley, but in this case its apt; :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Jay P wrote: »

No, teachers do not get the papers beforehand. your brother's teacher was either very well prepared or just lucky. Questions do have a tendency to repeat themselves and a good teacher will see a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The mocks tips on these boards last year saved me from a fail in my mocks in english. Rather ironic tbh :) though I must say the amount of threads and views this year has been ridiculous and the bannage is definitely warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

As stated, we have no issue with mocks tips and discussion of topics, but its been ridiculuous. full questions and copyrighted scans will be deleted and banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

you do right. People at school have been driving me mad. They keep coming up to me and tell me what's coming up... Cheating is the most pointless thing anyone could do.

I will also be dishing out warnings to people who post in textspeak. It makes you look like an idiot and you will fail your mocks if you try to write like that, so I'm doing you a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

For all it is worth, it was probably the longest thread in the leaving cert forum ever! That needs to be congratulated.:D Bravo!

And by the time it actually got deleted, nearly evry1 had nearly finished their mocks so it still "helped" out a lot of people.The sad thing is that about 95% of the people who used the thread wont ever go on boards again probably....

"helped" - some people think that cheating in the mocks does more harm than good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I know that the thread was deleted due to text speak, copyright etc, but since all the copyrighted links were deleted why did the thread have to be fully removed from the site?

Why couldn't it have been left up for people to read?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the thread was 1600+ posts long and not all copyrighted material was hyperlinked to: a lot of it was directly typed in to the post. It was still infringeing on copyright and there is no sense in trying to circumcise a 1600+ post thread - better to simply delete it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 PyroniC

ah ye losers!! tellin us wha cums up is a good thing! pack of muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

PyroniC wrote: »
    ah ye losers!! tellin us wha cums up is a good thing! pack of muppets!

That is classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

cson wrote: »
    Such ****e you do talk. Do you really believe the SEC circulate the LC papers before the exams? I hate this smiley, but in this case its apt; :rolleyes:

i was being sarcastic, couldn't you tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I think this sticky can be put back in its box till next year. Mocks are hardly the worry right now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Sure I'd forgotten this sticky existed until you posted on it. : p