Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faulty Goods..

• 17-02-2008 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

:eek::mad::eek:Hi People...

I bought a skirt in River Island just Yesterday and didnt realise that there was a small rip in the side of the garment... I decided to wear it last night and hope for the best, as I had planned the outfit days in advance....

As you can imagine the small rip became a large rip after a night of dancing... However a friend told me that she had been to River Island the previous day, and that each one of the skirts had rips, missing buttons and broken zips...

Am I entitled to return the garment as faulty and recieve some form of credit or refund....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

AFAIK where the goods you bought are faulty/unfit for their purpose, you are entitled to a replacement, repair or refund.

That said if all the skirts in the shop were faulty they may have been discounted to allow for the damage. Where this is the case I don't think you can return but the shop should have made you aware of this when you were buying the item. From your post it doesn't sound if this happened so I would say on the face of it that you could return the skirt.

Check out this link. It explains things in better detail
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/get_your_rights/shopping/returning_goods/your%20rights.html?tabParam=fullversion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Just bring it in with your receipt and explain what happened, then politely ask for a refund due to the fact it's faulty.
    I've returned things in there before no problem. It's totally within your rights.

If it was faulty when you bought it, this should have been pointed out to you and they should have written something on the receipt or put some kind of tag on it to say so too.

You'll have no problems, let us know how you get on though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

If they didn't point out the flaw to me when buying it, then I wouldn't let on that I saw the flaw before I wore the skirt. I would just go with "I wore this once and this is what happened, therefore the skirt was not suitable for its purpose".

If you tell them you saw the rip but said you'd 'chance it' they might suggest that you take part responsibility for the larger rip.

You chould have mended it before you wore it, would have saved you the hassle of bringing it back. Although, if you only wanted the skirt for the one occasion, you've got the wear out of it for free!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

The skirt had not been reduced due to fault.... It was marked at the full retail price.... I wouldnt have minded if i bought it while reduced coz as someone pointed out above it was only for a one off wear...

No one in the store informed me out the fault within the garments at neither the tills or changing rooms.. i was not aware that the rip was there until putting the garment on in the evening time... Which was highly annoying....

Well thanks for the replys I'm off to Town today, so will post how I get on with it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

flynnc8 wrote: »
    :eek::mad::eek:Hi People...

I bought a skirt in River Island just Yesterday and didnt realise that there was a small rip in the side of the garment... I decided to wear it last night and hope for the best, as I had planned the outfit days in advance....

As you can imagine the small rip became a large rip after a night of dancing... However a friend told me that she had been to River Island the previous day, and that each one of the skirts had rips, missing buttons and broken zips...

Am I entitled to return the garment as faulty and recieve some form of credit or refund....

You're entitled to a refund, repair or replacement(at the discression of river island). Bring your reciept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

I work in River Island, and as long as you produce a receipt OR return it to the store you bought it in giving the date you bought it on and what else you bought, you are entitled to a refund. By any chance is this a black pencil skirt with a small split up the back of the skirt??

no its a black and white striped pencil skirt with gold buttons..

The rip started at the hemming around the zip (positioned on side) and continued to rip down the lenght of the skirt...

Ah yeah, the Beetlejuice skirt. More than one of those have come back, alright. You sort it out? Which branch did you buy it in?

In Arnotts...

I'm totally pissed off though coz its the second time in about 2 months that I have bought something there and the hemming fell apart...

I bought a gorgeous fusia dress in there a few weeks ago... The material was sheer and it had diamantes on the straps and the whole back of it came apart... I didnt mind coz I was only wearing once.. but when it happened again on friday i was snapping...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

I find the quality quite surprisingly poor in RI so I stopped going in there, I'm not surprised to hear about rips/hems coming loose etc to be honest & neither would any staff of theirs, def get a refund but I prob wouldn't admit I still wore it out :)

• Advertisement

ha ha, I'd love to let that slide. Unfortunatley I am a keen instant tan user, so it would be imposible to say that the skirt had not been worn..

*Damn SunShimmer*

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just to let you know, legally you are mostly incorrect, because the OP noticed the flaw and did not stop using the item immediately she negated her rights to repair/exchange/refund.

I could never see that being enforcable though. :)

SDooM wrote: »
    Just to let you know, legally you are mostly incorrect, because the OP noticed the flaw and did not stop using the item immediately she negated her rights to repair/exchange/refund.

I could never see that being enforcable though. :)

shhhh... Keep in on the DL.... :D

One of the above members works in River Island she'll go tell her boss and I wont get my money back ha ha.... ;):p

shhhh... Keep in on the DL.... :D

One of the above members works in River Island she'll go tell her boss and I wont get my money back ha ha.... ;):p

Don't worry, your secret's safe avec moi. Just pointing out you shouldn't tell them you wore it after noticing. They'd prob take it back anyway out of customer care anywho, but a little forewarning never hurt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

I know its a different shop but once Topshop refused to exchange a top I bought cos she said I had worn it (it was a little creased in my bag but unworn) alot of the time it depends on the shop assistant and whether he/she's had a crap day in my opinion! Anyway let us know how the exchange goes :)

• Another one about River Island......

Bought the silver kinda embroidered bag there a couple weeks ago, been using it for work and the press stud thing to fasten it with has come off, so the bag doesn't close anymore. I know a could probably get it fixed, but I don't see why I should pay to do that when the bag is almost brand new. I wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't had the press stud fasten on it (don't like open bags, had stuff pickpocketed before). I can't find the receipt either. Is it worth going back in and explaining or is it not worth it?

I don't want my money back or anything, I just want a replacement bag that's in one piece!

Most shops will exchange without a recipet but not refund, give it a try.

ha ha, I'd love to let that slide. Unfortunatley I am a keen instant tan user, so it would be imposible to say that the skirt had not been worn..

*Damn SunShimmer*

Still faulty, still bring it back. That's my branch, who looked after you?

Good news River Island gave me a full refund. they said lots of them have came back with problems and some of them have make up on them from being tried on etc.

The skirt in question has also been reduced to 35.00eur due to imperfections....

Glad they didnt try to give me the reduced price as a refund,.

hey do you know Andy Mc Clusky who used to work there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I had a similar problem with a dress which I wore to ****** - it was majorly ripped and couldnt get the mud stains out - luckily I got a full refund!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement