Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC - around €1200

Options
  • 17-02-2008 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi folks! Just hope I can pick your brains regarding the new comp I'll be building in the next few weeks?

First off, it will be my first ever self-build. I intend to do some overclocking, but not much - just dabble a bit and see how I get on I suppose. Also, although primarily for gaming, I'll be doing a few other bits and bobs on it.

I won't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse and I play at a res of 1600*1200. I'm not interested in SLI, crossfire, RAID or water-cooling, but am willing to go 64bit if the benefits are there?

So €1200 is the budget (including delivery)... Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

2.4ghz Quad Core, 512mb 8800gts, 4gb ram, P35 Mobo is the best combo at the moment for gaming imo, you could get all that built and delivered for a grand...

http://i32.tinypic.com/2wdr0c3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Gloopy

Thanks Squall, I had been looking towards the Q6600 / 8800GTS combination alright.

Am I right in thinking that DDR3 won't be needed anytime soon?

And what seems to be the general consensus re HardwareVersand? I've read one or two have had dodgy experiences.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Gloopy wrote: »
    Thanks Squall, I had been looking towards the Q6600 / 8800GTS combination alright.

Am I right in thinking that DDR3 won't be needed anytime soon?

And what seems to be the general consensus re HardwareVersand? I've read one or two have had dodgy experiences.

Thanks again.

Ive bought alot of things off them ( makings of 3 pc's) and I find them great, especially their return system as I got a Maxtor hard drive which died after a few days, I sent it back to them and they sent me out a new one within 2 weeks.Compare that to Dabs were I had to wait a good 2 months before they replaced a dodgy dabs value power supply I bought off them...

The only negatives I found was the 2 or 3 week postage and having to go to the bank to set up a bank transfer.That didnt really bother me as I couldnt get all the parts I wanted on komplett and I hate dabs/overclockers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Gloopy

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Ive bought alot of things off them ( makings of 3 pc's) and I find them great, especially their return system as I got a Maxtor hard drive which died after a few days, I sent it back to them and they sent me out a new one within 2 weeks.Compare that to Dabs were I had to wait a good 2 months before they replaced a dodgy dabs value power supply I bought off them...

The only negatives I found was the 2 or 3 week postage and having to go to the bank to set up a bank transfer.That didnt really bother me as I couldnt get all the parts I wanted on komplett and I hate dabs/overclockers

Well, their prices are great. And I don't mind the waiting... Once the customer support is existent, I'll give them a go! Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Just tinker around with the PC configurator..

For 1200 you could get that setup and a Zalman fan for the CPU, maybe faster ram and a raptor drive aswell, would make a great PC with good overclocking potential.

If you want to go nuts, its possible to get a e6850 with asus sli board, 2 8800gt's in sli, zalman cooler, raptor, 8500 ram, etc for juuuust under 1200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

jonny72 wrote: »
    Just tinker around with the PC configurator..

I found the hardwareversand PC configurator fairly restrictive in what it would let you choose - offering only a fraction of what is available on the site (older hard drives and such).

Advertisement