Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blind Couple Refused Taxi

Options
  • 17-02-2008 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

I was shocked to read when i was at home this weekend that a young blind man and his partner were refused a taxi in potatoe market and verbally abused by the taxi driver.The couple have said that they see the case as discrimination because the young man was blind and was refused a taxi on these grounds. After the guards were called by the couple the taxi driver insisted that the reason he had refused them entry to his taxi was because he had a fear of dogs and the young blind man had his guide dog with him.

Upon publication of the story Carlow taxi association were quick to dis-associatiate themselves with the taxi-driver in question and have condemned him for his actions. The couple claim when the taxi driver saw them approaching the taxi he locked his doors and when she knocked on the window he got out started to wave his hands and then verbally abused them.Carlow association has been in contact with the young man to issue a heart-felt apology on the subject .

The driver insists that he has an extreme fear of dogs and would have gladly taken the couple to their destination had they left the dog behind, Hardly viable really now is it?The PRO of the taxi association in Carlow has said if the man had an irrational fear of dogs it should have been stated so when he did his test but it was not reported.

It was completely wrong of the driver as a blind man can not be expected to part with his only eyes, his guide dog. It is totally unacceptable.To be fair to the other taxi men on the rank they witnessed the whole thing and went to the couples aid and offered them a lift home.

But this is just not the case. This is a basic right that was taken away from the young man by an ignorant taxi-driver. The couple quite rightly are taking this man to court and i wish them the best of luck following this case. The taxi driver well it is by no means up to me to determine what to do with him but if i was PRO of the carlow taxi association i would be advertising for a new taxi man at the moment.

Article Available Here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The only comment it deserves.......What a pr1ck

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

what an arsehole...hope he gets what he deserves:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

It will be interesting to see what happens in the up and coming case wont it??

yeah, let us know what the arsehole gets.:mad:

will do i'll keep a close eye on it,

• Advertisement

cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh been watching that story for a while, its 2 weeks running in the papers, awful, apparently the driver was afraid of dogs...

But that is no reason at all to verbally abuse the couple in question. I think his actions were highly inappropriate in regard to the situation. In modern day society such abuse is simply not tolerated. The poor couple must be traumatized by this. The taxi driver should be ashamed.

If he was irrationally afraid of dogs and had said it to the couple in a polite manner and perhaps offered to get them another taxi then that would have been acceptable. His actions however were not. To abuse the couple just because they had a dog with them is uncalled for.Has he even apologized to them.

If the taxi-driver was that afraid of dogs then this should have been reported when he got his license. I know alot of people,my aunt for example who travels everywhere with her dog and regularly gets taxi's with the dog all around the place. The taxi association have said that such a phobia/fear should have been reported when he applied for his license. Even his phobia aside the abuse is unnecessary.

I am a frequent user of taxi's in carlow and i find any that i have been in to be highly accomodating. They are general very polite and make the effort to have a conversation with you during your journey.This is why i am so shocked about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Having had a fear of dogs once, I can see where he's coming from. I'm not condoning his abuse, but to be put in a small space with one of the large guide dogs would have terrified me when I was afraid of dogs.

Point taken but he should have reported this to the taxi association when applying for his license. He was bound to be asked some day at some stage to pick up someone with a dog.

I am by no means in any way,shape or form condoning him for his fear of dogs.We all have fears.:eek:

It's just is tactless approach to the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If, as he claims, he was so afraid of dogs why did he allegedly get out from the safety of his taxi? :confused: Doesn't add up with his excuse.

I agree with stick-dan, I've yet to come experience a rude taxi driver in Carlow, all polite and chatty folks.

I don't think it is any of our responsibilities or right weather to decide on his future but if he has a decent bone in his body he should apologize to that young couple. I wonder what view his contractors.i.e. taxi firm he works for, are taking on this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i'm sorry i can't take you in my taxi as i am terrified of all dogs even docile guide dogs but the next driver in the rank will be only too happy to carry you and your dog - would have been appropriate even without any exemption certificate

and surely all shops and other public places are obliged to allow guide dogs regardless of peoples fears so why should a taxi be any different? i often see guide dogs on trains and other public transport and nobody is crying foul of the big bad guide dog!

i know people including myself can have irrational phobias of all sorts of things things to different degrees but to react in this manner smacks of just not wanting disabled people in his taxi.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i'm sorry i can't take you in my taxi as i am terrified of all dogs even docile guide dogs but the next driver in the rank will be only too happy to carry you and your dog - would have been appropriate even without any exemption certificate

and surely all shops and other public places are obliged to allow guide dogs regardless of peoples fears so why should a taxi be any different? i often see guide dogs on trains and other public transport and nobody is crying foul of the big bad guide dog!

i know people including myself can have irrational phobias of all sorts of things things to different degrees but to react in this manner smacks of just not wanting disabled people in his taxi.

An absolutely excellent point there foggy_lad

I couldn't agree more with what you have just said. I personally would not like to point at the taxi-driver at without being absolutely sure, accuse him of being descriminatory against disabled people.But all sources point to the fact that he is indeed being a descriminatory p***k, if you pardon the french.:)

It is true, if you are to take a stroll into superquinn on a friday you will see people walking around the shop with their dogs.Guide dogs are extremely well disciplined dogs. If a person is able to bring a dog into a supermarket and the dog doesn't as much as look or sniff at any morsel of food sure it proves these guide dogs disciplines. The dog would have caused no harm in the taxi and the likelyhood is the taxi journey would only have been a few minutes drive anyway.

Public transport such as buses and trains take guide dogs all the time so surely a taxi should be no different. Taxi's are public transport in a sense they provide a service to the public. It seems wrong that this incident should demeen the standard of the taxi firms in carlow who are by no means like this. The taxi-driver in question should issue a public apology.

Also the council or the government or the appropriate taxi regulator should clear the confusion and tell us the appropriate protocol regarding Guide Dogs in taxi's.

stick-dan wrote: »
    Also the council or the government or the appropriate taxi regulator should clear the confusion and tell us the appropriate protocol regarding Guide Dogs in taxi's.

the only acceptable protocol should be unlimited access for guide dogs and other dogs used by anyone with a disability into any public place or any form of public or private hire transport regardless of any taxi drivers phobia!

Here Here but it still doesn't address the taxi-man. I am not looking to humilate the man but his obvious discriminations should be made an example of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous - what possible reason could he have for not wanting a blind person in his car other than the dog? Have you ever heard of a blind person being refused a taxi ride because of their blindness? And really, how often do you see dogs in taxis? As the guy's sight status is irrelevant in a taxi, I don't believe for a second that the driver had a problem with his disability. Anyone who says that this is a case of discrimination on the basis of disability is engaging their indignancy alarm before their brain.

Verbally abusing the pair is not on, of course (although we don't hear what this 'verbal abuse' entails'), but I would never expect a taxi driver to have to put up with the object of an irrational phobia in his back seat. I have a phobia of spiders, and I'd certainly lock my doors and refuse to carry someone holding a pet goliath spider, regardless of how well-behaved and safe it was (OK, awkward analogy...)
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    regardless of any taxi drivers phobia!

Expecting someone to work under that condition is unacceptable.

Here Here but it still doesn't address the taxi-man. I am not looking to humilate the man but his obvious discriminations should be made an example of.
    to be honest i cant see him getting much support around carlow from any local drivers as this sort of thing is and always has been frowned upon by country people even though carlow is a large town the locals still have an old country view on such things and will treat this person with appropriate contempt. so i wouldnt worry about humiliating him.

An absolutely excellent point there foggy_lad

Guide dogs are allowed in taxis, if a driver is afraid/allergic to dogs he may be excused from the obligation to carry guide dogs upon production of a medical certifcate.

Please note that there is no obligation on a taxi driver to accept a fare with any other type of dog
    from the taxi regulators site
    http://www.taxireg.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=94&3nID=94&4nID=103&5nID=103&6nID=103&pID=103&nID=137
    The carrying of animals will be at the discretion of the driver but no charge will apply where animals are carried. The driver will not have the right to refuse to carry an assistance (guide) dog unless on certified medical grounds.

There is no excuse suspend his license for a 6 month term and maybe he will think better next time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I dont see what the problem is as the story says there was other taxis at the rank which took them. I wouldnt want a dog with its chocolate ring in the back of my car.

Sounds to me like the blind person involved is a pain in the ass if they went to the trouble of reporting this 'incident' to the media. I'm not a taxi driver by the way and generally believe them to be jerks :D (not all my neighbour is a taximan and very nice)

• Advertisement

Just to act as devil's advocate though....

I might have to think more on this one

http://www.guidehorse.org/ :p

Tails142 wrote: »
    I dont see what the problem is as the story says there was other taxis at the rank which took them. I wouldnt want a dog with its chocolate ring in the back of my car.

Sounds to me like the blind person involved is a pain in the ass if they went to the trouble of reporting this 'incident' to the media. I'm not a taxi driver by the way and generally believe them to be jerks :D (not all my neighbour is a taximan and very nice)

The problem with the story is that as a taxi driver you are legaly obliged to take guide dogs, you are not allowed to tell the customer to eff off cos I'm a big scardy cat of dogs, unless you have a medical certificate.

As a taxi driver myself there are too many lack lustre drivers in this profession as it is and, to be honest, we wouldn't miss one who behaves like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

slimjimmc wrote: »
    If, as he claims, he was so afraid of dogs why did he allegedly get out from the safety of his taxi? :confused: Doesn't add up with his excuse.

How do you get into a taxi - people generally open the back door and sit in; maybe they opened the back door and the dog jumped into the car and that's why the taxi driver jumped out f'ing and blinding, that would hardly be an irrational reaction if you were afraid of dogs.

He also may not have instantly realised the man was blind. The poster who said that he should get a 6 month suspension is having a laugh, are you seriously saying that this person should have his livelihood taken away because a blind person had to take the next taxi in the rank... ripping the piss in my opinion

How do you get into a taxi - people generally open the back door and sit in; maybe they opened the back door and the dog jumped into the car and that's why the taxi driver jumped out f'ing and blinding, that would hardly be an irrational reaction if you were afraid of dogs.

He also may not have instantly realised the man was blind. The poster who said that he should get a 6 month suspension is having a laugh, are you seriously saying that this person should have his livelihood taken away because a blind person had to take the next taxi in the rank... ripping the piss in my opinion

No, if I were having a laugh I would have used a big laughing smilies like these :D:)

He doesn't deserve the right to drive a taxi with that attitude

Tails 142, Why don't you get with it like. You obviously have not read the article on which this was reported so before you jump in and defend the taxi-man in question who by the way is even been ridiculed by his fellow comrades in the trade. If you had read the post you would have noticed that it said that the taxi-man in question upon seeing the couple and their guide dog locked his car doors and paid no heed to them. You would also have read that as the couple attempted to gain entry to the locked vehicle the driver got out and started to fire abuse at the couple. And this by the way was reported by the all parties involved infront of the gardai and the taxi-driver never denied any of it. Perhaps get your facts right in future, just a thought.

And furthermore on the matter to say that the blind man is a pain in the ass is an utter disgrace. The man just wanted to make the journey home and the taxi-man denied him service. He had no valid grounds to do so and also had no medical cert of any kind to present on occasion confirming that he was indeed afraid of dogs.What you think the blind couple are making it up and exagerating abit just to get some publicity and sympathy from the public it is you who is being a pain in the a**e now.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous - what possible reason could he have for not wanting a blind person in his car other than the dog? Have you ever heard of a blind person being refused a taxi ride because of their blindness? And really, how often do you see dogs in taxis? As the guy's sight status is irrelevant in a taxi, I don't believe for a second that the driver had a problem with his disability. Anyone who says that this is a case of discrimination on the basis of disability is engaging their indignancy alarm before their brain.

Verbally abusing the pair is not on, of course (although we don't hear what this 'verbal abuse' entails'), but I would never expect a taxi driver to have to put up with the object of an irrational phobia in his back seat. I have a phobia of spiders, and I'd certainly lock my doors and refuse to carry someone holding a pet goliath spider, regardless of how well-behaved and safe it was (OK, awkward analogy...)

Expecting someone to work under that condition is unacceptable.

Fair enough point made but why did he have to be so rude about the matter like. Why not just ask them to take the taxi behind him?This would not have been hard for him to do! Also the verbal abuse although not discussed indepth in the article must have been bad enough that it warranted other taxi drivers to come over!

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Guide dogs are allowed in taxis, if a driver is afraid/allergic to dogs he may be excused from the obligation to carry guide dogs upon production of a medical certifcate.

Please note that there is no obligation on a taxi driver to accept a fare with any other type of dog
    Thanks for clearing that up for me spook!:)

He had no cert he had to accept the couple. Or at the very least ask them nicely to take another taxi!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭digitaldarragh

Firstly as Stick Dan points out the person didn't get into the car.

Secondly, All guidedogs are trained to let their handler in first. They then sit in the foot well in front of the front passenger seet. When the dog is in, the handler puts his or her second foot in therefore securing the dog. The dog then instingtivly relaxes in preparation for what for them is a normal activity.

Guidedogs are provided with a certificate from the HSC and are groomed by the handler at least once every day to ensure they comply with a very high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

What go's around comes around,Karma baby he will get his

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sinsin

Was The Taxi Driver Irish?

• Advertisement
Advertisement