Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Making progress!!!

Options
  • 17-02-2008 3:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Isn't it great when you are able to do something without thinking that nearly had you crying with frustration during lessons!

I remember hill starts, when I first started doing them they were hard, I would either release the handbrake too early or too late, and would have to really concentrate on feeling the car lift. Now I do them without even thinking. I live on top of a really steep hill, recently there was a garda checkpoint at the top of it and traffic was moving really slowly, must have done 10 hillstarts without even thinking about it.

Reversing in a straight line along a kerb is easy now, the first time I did it in a lesson I could never have both ends of the car the same distance away from the kerb, now it's grand.

So is reversing around a corner, our driveway is curved and I do it every morning.

I remember my first few lessons I would often cut out the car when the traffic light went green and I was very nervous of all the stopping and starting in traffic because of this. Now I sit at Newland's Cross during rush hour twice a day with no bother!

It is great to make progress.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Practice makes perfect as they say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Good work! Keep it coming on, you should try and book your test and have something to aim for. Remembering you will have months between now and the test to practise further and take more lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I applied already! :) I applied online 2 months ago and got an email but no letter in the post to acknowledge I had applied.

Now that I can control the car- been out in it day and night and in loads of different weather conditions (sun in your eyes I find being the worst, but the extra braking distance on a frosty day took time to get used to also) I find driving is about 10% of operating the car and 90% of anticipating and reacting to everybody else! :)

You know what happened today? I was driving through a country village and a dog ran from the footpath into the middle of the road and started biting my car's reg plate!!! This is the stuff you don't cover in lessons!!! Lucky I was going slow enough to stop within a few feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

LuckyStar wrote: »
    I applied already! :) I applied online 2 months ago and got an email but no letter in the post to acknowledge I had applied.

Now that I can control the car- been out in it day and night and in loads of different weather conditions (sun in your eyes I find being the worst, but the extra braking distance on a frosty day took time to get used to also) I find driving is about 10% of operating the car and 90% of anticipating and reacting to everybody else! :)

You know what happened today? I was driving through a country village and a dog ran from the footpath into the middle of the road and started biting my car's reg plate!!! This is the stuff you don't cover in lessons!!! Lucky I was going slow enough to stop within a few feet.

In some of the rural villages, they train their dogs to bite outsider reg's. Common enough occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

One good lesson I learned driving on country roads was to do with geese. A goose was just after crossing the road so I felt it was safe for me to continue at my normal speed but just as I was getting up to where the goose crossed the road, 7 little goslings jumped up from out of the ditch following their mother. I just managed to stop in time by a matter of millimetres which was especially lucky as there was a schoolbus after pulling in which full of primary school children who'd have been traumatised if they saw me run over 7 little goslings. From now on if I see a duck, goose, etc. crossing the road I make sure to slow down in case there's a few young 'uns close by trying to catch up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

LuckyStar wrote: »
    I applied already! :)I applied online 2 months ago and got an email but no letter in the post to acknowledge I had applied.

I applied for my test just before this learner permit came in and only got conformation last week by letter had to to ring up for a date then they post you out conformation of your driving test Date Time Center etc.

Advertisement