Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accompanying drivers

Options
  • 17-02-2008 3:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

If I go out with somebody with a full licence and they have a few drinks and are over the limit, can they still accompany me or is it the same as driving unaccompannied?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

A full licence means a full licence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

A full licence means a full licence!

Not if the person who has said licence is drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

They must be in a fit state to drive:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055176756

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

This is a loophole,drive what?a car that he or she is not insured on??

The law states that you have a qualified driver,the qualified driver does not have to do anything except be present and have a full driving license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The whole point of having a qualified driver with you is that they are supposed to be teaching you. They are also supposed to be using thier experince to keep you and other road users safe ("slow down here, mind the child, careful that fella is about to pull out", etc).

If they are not fit to drive then they cannot perform that function so no loophole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

If I go out with somebody with a full licence and they have a few drinks and are over the limit, can they still accompany me or is it the same as driving unaccompannied?

AFAIK its the same as driving unaccompanied - they are not in a fit state to drive the car.
    I know in the UK, that the drunk accompanying driver can actually be done for drink driving if stopped by the police!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

cAr0l wrote: »
    AFAIK its the same as driving unaccompanied - they are not in a fit state to drive the car.
    I know in the UK, that the drunk accompanying driver can actually be done for drink driving if stopped by the police!

+ 1 now I'm sure we will have a few on with stories of being pulled over with a drunk friend as their accompanying driver and the cops not saying anything but that doesn't mean that its legal. Cops tend to turn a blind eye to 1st provisional drivers driving on their own and L plates on the motorway still doesn't alter the fact that both those activities are illegal as well. Not saying wither I agree or disagree with any of the above just pointing out that if you do get stopped by the one cop that doesn't turn a blind eye and it ends up in court you won't have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I know of someone who was banned because of this! He was in the pub with his son who was on a provisional. he was drinking, the son driving. On the way home were pulled by the police, and the father ended up losing his licence

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Was this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If the accompanied full licence holder is drunk, the driver is then deemed to be driving unaccompanied.

cAr0l wrote: »
    I know of someone who was banned because of this! He was in the pub with his son who was on a provisional. he was drinking, the son driving. On the way home were pulled by the police, and the father ended up losing his licence
    If you are claiming that it happened in the ROI, then I don't believe that for one second. It's a myth just like many of the other 'learning to drive' myths.

The driver could be done for driving unaccompanied but there is no charge that could be made against the father.

• Advertisement
Advertisement