Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How often do you buy a new car?

Options
  • 17-02-2008 4:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Well, how often do you trade in the wagon? This Christmas I intend on passing mine onto my little brother so he can learn in it and buying myself a new one as I will have been driving a year by then and hopefully will have saved up enough for a used Focus or Yaris.

Do you replace yours say every 3 years or do you just drive them til they die?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Depends really on circumstances. I had my 1st car for 1 year, then moved up to the current motor. I plan to keep this car and perhaps future cars for as long as I can. I usually do alot of research before buying a car to make sure its a good one and therefore, hopefully not have any need to change it sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I've only ever bought one "new" car, from the dealer with zero miles and I kept it for a few years. Just lately I've been swapping cars every 6 - 8 months though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Annually, although in 2008 I intend to wait until after June, for VRT and road tax reductions.

Derv burners here we come!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Have never bought a new car, but kept my first 3 cars for about 2 1/2 years each, and will have the current one 3 years next week. Not really making any plans for changing it at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

about everty 2 years for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I usually do alot of research before buying a car to make sure its a good one and therefore, hopefully not have any need to change it sooner rather than later.

True that is crucial! Hav't had much of a chance to change the motorsover time as i had a company van in my last job and didn't see the need for another car. I'll probably drive mine until it dies / uneconomical to repair as it causes me no bother in the slighest. Buying a used car from a dealers is a waste of time also ,the "warranty" ain't worth nothin, 3 months on engine and gearbox FFS..you'd have to be very unlucky if they went in 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Bought two cars from new - Alfa 156 in 99 and a Sanre Fe in 04 - will never do it again - just can't get over the loss in depreciation I took over those two cars - currently drive a car I bought that was 18 months old when I bought it and still drive it - next car will be 2 -4 years old when I buy again - unless I win the lotto and then maybe I'll venture onto the new car showroom again. Would love a 3 - 4 year old S Class if only the wife would let me .. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Derv burners here we come!
    Interesting. Would consider myself anti-diesel, but I don't do arson.

(Derv = Diesel Engined Road Vehicle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm a bit confused by this thread.:confused:
    Some people are replying about buying new cars for them (second-hand) and some are replying about new cars (2008-zero on the odemeter)

Which do you mean OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I used to keep the same car for 3 to 5 years last year I bought a 05 someone crashed into it a few weeks back his fault minor damage but still cost €2000 to repair I took it to the garage last week for repair it had 95000 km on the clock The owner of the garage offered me a good deal against a 07 demo 3 months old only 7000 km. I had no intention of changing it but as I travel 30000 km a year the 05 wouldn't be worth as much next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Usually change my car very 6-9months!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

micmclo wrote: »
    Some people are replying about buying new cars for them (second-hand) and some are replying about new cars (2008-zero on the odemeter)

Which do you mean OP?
    Let me put an end to your confusion he is talking about how often you change your car whether its secondhand or new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Been though 7 cars since aug '06, keeping my current motor till 2012 (hopefully)

-VB-

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Let me put an end to your confusion he is talking about how often you change your car whether its secondhand or new

Let me put an end to your confusion he is a she.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Let me put an end to your confusion he is a she.

-VB-

Let me further eliminate confusion. The "he" refered to above is the original poster, not Sam Kade (who's gender is undetermined at least by me! ;) )

Let me further eliminate confusion. The "he" refered to above is the original poster, not Sam Kade (who's gender is undetermined at least by me! ;) )

Lucky Star is a bird!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

it works out at every 3 years wirg me so far but thats just the way it worked out i dont intentionally decidethat i want to change my car three years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Usually when i finish paying for it, which works out every two to three years or so, tho i would like to change every year if i could:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Used to change every two years.

Have had one "new" car, pissed off with the depreciation, so went back to buying two year olds.

Bought current model nine years ago, two years old... as good now as when I bought it, thinking about changing but not under pressure, certainly got value for money...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

micmclo wrote: »

Which do you mean OP?

Doesn't matter if it is brand new or secondhand, just so long as it's new to you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Volvoboy is right :)

I am one of teh wimmins!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Out of all the cars I have owned only 2 have been bought brand new. Bought a couple that were 3 or 4 months old and saved a few grand. Buying new is a mugs game imo and I will never do it again.

I usually changed every 2 years but kept my last car for 4.5 years, the longest I ever kept a car. Will not be doing the same with my current car though, its a grand car but I just cannot warm to it, will be looking around for a different one early next year. Will most likely import to avail of the new VRT/motor tax system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I buy every 4 years but to date I have been overlapping ownership of cars, can't let go.

Advertisement