Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law

Options
  • 17-02-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I’m considering of studying law,does anyone here is doing the course .....What are the teaching like ..., how many hours do you do in a week in class’s ... are the very long?? . Do you do sample of court cases?? For assignments etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cckkab

you can get info here and nearby pages
    http://tinyurl.com/2wsrzg

The fun side is covered here
    http://tinyurl.com/3duy93
    Obviously if you are to get all this work done and have fun, then u need to be brainy. That's why the points are so high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I do Law with Phil. Like 15 hours per week (lectures and tutorials) but it isn't necessary to attend either because it's all about the work you do outside of these. It isn't a lot of work to pass the year so you can enjoy what you're studying without having too much pressure on you to pass.

You have a lot of free time for a very active social life.

Lecturers are grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

BrightEyes wrote: »
    I do Law with Phil. Like 15 hours per week (lectures and tutorials) but it isn't necessary to attend either because it's all about the work you do outside of these.

This isn't necessarily true. First, tutorial attendance is compulsory, at least in law. Second, some people attend all lectures and do very little work outside. They can come out of it all with better grades then people who skip the lectures and study. It really depends what works best for the individual student.

It's an important decision, don't want you to get the wrong idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Duffman wrote: »
    tutorial attendance is compulsory, at least in law.

Compulsory as in you get marked in if you attend so you can get 5% for turning up to them? I somehow think I'll be fine without that 5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

thnx guys for the help !!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Actually, in my experience tutorial attendance isn't worth marks. The only times where it;s useful is that work done in tutorials can be worth marks, and if you;re a borderline grade then attendance can be what makes or breaks your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Law is really easy to pass imo, a few weeks study at the end will get you through, but if you want to get a first its very tough and only a handful of people get them.
    That requires an awful lot of work, so be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I'm in first year Business and Law, and I find the law part great, not bad hours, but an awful lot of reading if you want to keep up with the stuff and do well. So while there aren't many hours, as the year goes on you get to spend a lot of time in the library:rolleyes:

To be honest, I think the law tutorials are really worth it, it's the time when you get to engage with the material most and actually discuss the issues without being terrified you'll say something stupid (which inevitably, I do)

The lecturers are great too, but then it's hard to know whether you'll like the subject before you start it. What I did, and it worked for me, was had a look at some of the law textbooks in the bookshop and see if the stuff looked interesting.

Advertisement