Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Showboating or why we go ?

• 17-02-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

With the storm in a tea cup after Nani piece of skill / or mockery . Is it right for players to do this type of thing, As a football (yes utd )fan, I think fergie and Wenger are out of line to be condoning this type of play . And yes if the opposition do it against my team it will piss me off in the heat of the moment, but when I reflect back on it with the advantage of time I understand that its skills and things of this nature that make football for me.

opinions???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

A player has to be able to express himself. It gets the crowd going. But the player has to be able to deal with the other team lashing out. Which Nani did.

To be honest, when you are 4-0 up and cruising, why not take the piss? Its how i would play with my mates and its good to see Nani loving it and feeding off the Old Trafford crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Its a proper bad loser that moans about that after a game. Yeah I can kinda understand a player getting pissed off a bit during a game but scorelines are more to do with it.

Nani's wasnt that bad i've seen that been done a few times (cant remember names tho ) but for wenger to complain when he had henry who used to do the no-lookies, the swing 1 foot-pass-other one, but maybe i didnt see them properly and they were actually SKILLS :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I put that sorta nonsense down to arrogance and I really dislike seeing it on the football pitch. Can look past it when it is an team of equal or greater stature but I really dislike seeing it down to a lesser team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    To be honest, when you are 4-0 up and cruising, why not take the piss? Its how i would play with my mates and its good to see Nani loving it and feeding off the Old Trafford crowd.

Think it lacks class tbh. It's bordering on mockery and professionals should not do that to each other.

Think it lacks class tbh. It's bordering on mockery and professionals should not do that to each other.

Its what the fans want to see. If they didnt then the players wouldnt do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

What made Nani even more determined to do it was he was getting the legs kicked of him throughout the whole game then when traore slid in on him he just started to take the piss out of them and i think he has every right to do it. Thats how i would respond to tackles like that from the opposition during a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

What made Nani even more determined to do it was he was getting the legs kicked of him throughout the whole game then when traore slid in on him he just started to take the piss out of them and i think he has every right to do it. Thats how i would respond to tackles like that from the opposition during a match.

I agree with that. Obviously if it was Liverpool against Barnsley and pool were thrashing them, it would be very poor form for Torres or someone to go around showboating. But given that this was United vs Arsenal, and as much about a psychological battle for the league as anything, taking the piss is wholly appropriate, especially since he was getting some rough treatment. I lol'd anyway.

Yeah Nani was being kicked all game, so he gave it back in embarrasement.

Also when William Gallas goes out and says the club is "Arrogant" why not rub his face in it.

They deserved to have the piss taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

I don't see a problem with someone showboating, 4 nil up, the two top teams in the country. You've earned the right. I wouldn't like being on the receiving end, but that's life, deal with it.

The reality is Man Yoo played the Gunners off the park comprehensively. Sour grapes, bad losers, call it what you like, they could've broken Nani's legs.

Gilberto, Traore, Gallas could / should have all got their marching orders.

If someone did break Nani's legs deliberately, we'd be talking about a criminal case today. Would anyone dare say he deserved it? I think not.

IPB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its what the fans want to see. If they didnt then the players wouldnt do it.

DO the fans want to see players diving too? I know I dont. Liverpool players included.

Showboating is bad form imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't think Nani did it for the fun of it though. He controlled the ball the best way possible. He was trying to head the ball down but was getting chased from behind so had to up his pace and therefore run into the ball again with his head. Maybe the last 1 or 2 volleys were unnecessary. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm4unXaoih0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm not really too bothered by it tbh, yes in the heat of the moment you would be pissed off by it but I don't see any point in dragging it out. What i liked best was Flaminis tackle at the end. When he came on he was the only Arsenal player who really looked up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

playa3 wrote: »
    I'm not really too bothered by it tbh, yes in the heat of the moment you would be pissed off by it but I don't see any point in dragging it out. What i liked best was Flaminis tackle at the end. When he came on he was the only Arsenal player who really looked up for it

I think Flamini was trying to take the legs of Nani but missed and got the ball. Damn, Arsenal played so bad they couldn't even foul properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I want to be entertained, that's what I want to see. I want to see Nani rip the piss out of Arsenal, just like in a pub I'd rip the piss out of Arsenal fans. It's all a bit of banter :)

For me the best moment in yesterdays game was at the end of the 1st half, Anderson took the ball in to the corner, and held it for like 20 seconds with his strength while Arsenal couldn't take it off him, it was ****ing hilarious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It has a place in the game but looks a bit stupid when you're running back towards your own goal. Running at the last defender doing it would be pretty cool though!!!!

I mean Van De Sar could equally just stand there and practice toe-taps when it's kicked back to him.

That's different, there's no pressure on him :)

Nani was winning the ball back, and he kept doing it. If anything, its much more risking doing it running towards your own goal, since he had two players trying to get the ball off him :)

I think Evra summed it up really well when he was talking about Ronaldo a while ago. He said something like, he loved watching Ronaldo do that to opponents, but if he does it against him in training, he'll break his legs. Crazy French man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I don't think Nani did it for the fun of it though. He controlled the ball the best way possible. He was trying to head the ball down but was getting chased from behind so had to up his pace and therefore run into the ball again with his head. Maybe the last 1 or 2 volleys were unnecessary. :)

i agree here - i honestly think he wasnt show boating, the ball just never came down. as he was being chased, had he left it drop he would have been muscled off the ball, so kept the ball where no one else could get it.
    he then did what any other good player would have done and brought the ball towards the side line to clear it.
    to me the unprofessionalism came from arsenal trying to scythe him down and then complain about the incident after the game.
    an irrelevant incident is being used by arsenal to cover up a shocking loss

Either way, I don't think its justifiable to try and hurt somebody for doing it, which is what the Arsenal players tried to do. What makes it even worse is that they do it themselves. They can give it out, but can't take it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Wasnt too bothered by it but if the flamster came in and took the legs off him in the end that it would have been his own tough ****!

But i see why people would be pissed off at that. Football is about football not tricks that have no end product. Any team could pass it among the back four doing nods and volleys and all that, but what does that achieve.

Can anyone remember an incident like this a few years ago in brazil. It started a riot on and off the pitch! So i guess its a no no and why we dont see much off it and shows lack of respect but i also understand why united fans love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭SteM

You're dead right about this. You can see Hoyte coming in at the back of Nani while he has control of the ball. As soon as Hoyte fell over Nani took the ball down as he had time to do it. What did people expect Nani to do when he was under pressure like that?

I like that Wenger basically condoned players kicking out at an opposing player for this in his post match interview.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk5cDq2iL0Q

There it is.
    Would like to see nani being brave enough to try that. Also as far as i know the player who started the showboating got fined!
    So i guess its a no no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Respect is earned, Nani doesn't need to respect people who've tried to kick him off the park.

If Reyes had responded the same way the game where United did a hatchet job on him I'd say the same.

I read a lovely story in Paul Foot's book Calcio about the great Torino side that died at Superga. 6-0 up after 19 minutes away to Roma, at half time their manager told them they did not need to humiliate their hosts...they scored once more in the 2nd half and were applauded off the field by the Roma crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Thats pretty class. And Im not a Man U fan.

Id have imagined Fergie would be more pissed off with such dangerous showing off than Wenger. Yes, it was 75 mins gone, but you are playing against Arsenal, not Derby. Four goals in 19 minutes is a tall order but it is not impossible, and has been done before. This acting about could well have resulted in the start of it (only the player behind Nani seemed to stumble from confusion :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd be more embarrassed for Arsenal and their reaction to someone performing a bit of skill. 4-0 down and still unable to take their hands out of their arses when the other team starts making a mockery of them. Arsene's team's have always been great when they're winning, but have a backbone of jelly when the pressure is on.

Hopefully Kaka will be able to do the same mid week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

jank wrote: »
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk5cDq2iL0Q

There it is.
    Would like to see nani being brave enough to try that. Also as far as i know the player who started the showboating got fined!
    So i guess its a no no!
    Showboating in Brazil is seen as much worse than diving in this part of the world.

Another:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBXv5FISzjg

Stekelly wrote: »
    DO the fans want to see players diving too? I know I dont. Liverpool players included.

How is it bad form?! its getting into the other teams head and ruffling their feathers, same as all the pre match talk. Frankly I rather see showboating than diving cos showboating takes skill.

People are really getting prissy if they're complaining about showboating. remember it takes serious skill to do 4 head ups in a row when a guy is tryin to tackle u.

WTF

Do the fans cheer diving? Does diving entertain you?

I didnt say anything about diving, i said tricks are entertaining, so why did you put that in there? If your talking about the Adebayor dive then the fans cheered because it was hilarious and such a poor attempt to con the ref was laughable.

Otherwise thats got nothing to do with anything. How is diving showboating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

You can't compare the two. Diving is a form of cheating on the football pitch, showboating against your biggest title rivals is all part of the physchological battle between the two. As a Man Utd fan though I didn't like seeing Nani do it, it will give Arsenal players extra motivation for the clash in April.

• Advertisement

But what was the point of this showboating? Nobody has answered that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

jank wrote: »
    But what was the point of this showboating? Nobody has answered that yet.
    Yes they have

It was a perfectly legitimate way of keeping control of the ball when you're moving at a high speed and the ball is at that height, and there's an Arsenal player up your arse.

As was shown, by virtue of the fact that he DID manage to keep it from the Arsenal player. If he had taken it down would it have been easier or more difficult for him to be dispossessed? It worked quite well, even if it did upset some players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I've nothing against it. In all fairness it was quite a decent bit of skill from Nani. But when you do do stuff like that you've also got to accept that you make yourself a target. It doesn't matter whether its Old Trafford or a Sunday league pitch, if you start showing off like that opposition players are going to notice and you'll have a few tackles like Flamini's flying in at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

WTF
    If your talking about the Adebayor dive then the fans cheered because it was hilarious and such a poor attempt to con the ref was laughable.

i loved that. it was so funny! but he didnt dive, watch it again, the invisible man pulls his hair which drags him down!

and as far as nani goes, he was havin fun with the opposition who were kickin him all game, if arsenal wanna whine about it let them but i think the majority of arsenal fans would have laughed at it too!! when henry used to do those showboating tricks it was great aswell! so it happens!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I really dont see the problem with what Nani did. It wasnt like he was soloing the ball in the corner of the pitch, he was controlling the ball while avoiding a tackle. Very skillful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i wouldnt be fond of it to be honest.

remember Ronaldo doing it against Wigan in the CC final a few years ago, and Giggs bollicked him for it.

I do think it is disrespectful. Just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

It wasn't that bad anyway, it was very skilful. Do it, but don't expect your opponents to sit back and admire you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you have the ability then do it. If a player gets caught out or chopped down then it's all part and parcel. If, however, they pull it off like Nani did then brilliant. Simple as that for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

thnk what everyone is missing here, is that the "showboating" of nanis was actually the best way to keep possession, and thats his job as a footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

^Yup, totally agree. Wasn't showboating at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Deliberate taunting of the opposition is unprofessional behavior that should not be condoned by those within the game. Just as diving, high two footed tackles, taunting of opposition fans are all considered unprofessional. There would be uproar in the US if he did the equivalent in an NFL / NHL game.

Fans are stupid for the most part, what they want or consider acceptable is kinda irrelevant.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Deliberate taunting of the opposition is unprofessional behavior that should not be condoned by those within the game. Just as diving, high two footed tackles, taunting of opposition fans are all considered unprofessional. There would be uproar in the US if he did the equivalent in an NFL / NHL game.

Fans are stupid for the most part, what they want or consider acceptable is kinda irrelevant.

Sure lets ban 60 yard passes, shots from over 25 yards, overheads and back heels while we're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sure lets ban 60 yard passes, shots from over 25 yards, overheads and back heels while we're at it.

and goal celebrations

Unearthly wrote: »
    and goal celebrations

And nutmegs....

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Deliberate taunting of the opposition is unprofessional behavior that should not be condoned by those within the game.

how was nani keeping control of the ball under pressure from 2 players in what was probably the best way to do it considering where the ball was deliberate taunting of the opposition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I am stunned at some of the reactions today about Nani's so called "Showboating" especially from Ferguson and Wenger. Who bloody cares if he is show boating, what he is doing is showing off his talent, why should it be repressed.

We as fans go to games to see exciting football, new things and at the end of the day be entertained. What do some people want, would they prefer boring, mind numbing games where no skill was shown and every little thing outlawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Unearthly wrote: »
    and goal celebrations

Are you lads simple enough to believe that:

- Diving
    - High two footed tackles
    - taunting of the opposition / opposition fans

Are the same things as:

- 60 yard passes
    - shots from over 25 yards
    - overheads / backheels
    - goal celebrations

Really? :confused:

being skillful isnt taunting the opposition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nani wasn't taunting Arsenal though, he was using his skill to retain possession.

Should that be banned?

How about when NFL players dance on their way into the endzone?

How about when certain players do the spin-o-rama in an NHL shootout?

What about when Dekembe Mutumbo used to say "NOT IN MY HOUSE" when he blocked a dunk?

LuckyLloyd your saying there would be uproar in the US, but the equivilent is there every single game.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

DesF wrote: »
    Nani wasn't taunting Arsenal though, he was using his skill to retain possession.

Should that be banned?

Most definitly

Then maybe i'd be able to get a £120,000/year contract with Utd
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement