Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Showboating or why we go ?

13»

Comments

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    LOL at this post.

Ridiculous arguments? Essentially I have argued that:

- Deliberately showboating or taunting fellow professional players is unprofessional behaviour which should not be condoned within football;
    - That non - competetive, one - sided contests are dull and boring and this sort of carry on at the end doesn't change that fact;

Personally, I don't care whether that is "soft - lad rubbish" (lol!). Grandstanding doesn't make you "hard"; much as arguing a minority view on an internet forum doesn't make you "hard" or "soft".

Actually the "soft lad" statement came from ther fact that you're complaining about showboating. If showboating gets u in a hissy fit then maybe football isnt for you. Far worse things in the world.

The "ridiculous argument" came form the fact that u have on more than one occasion on this thread, contradicted yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Actually the "soft lad" statement came from ther fact that you're complaining about showboating. If showboating gets u in a hissy fit then maybe football isnt for you. Far worse things in the world.

The "ridiculous argument" came form the fact that u have on more than one occasion on this thread, contradicted yourself.

"Hissy fit" = an attempt at rational argument and debate?

"Contradicted yourself" = ? I have, how? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kaimera wrote: »
    Hardly showboating tbh.

They weren't taking the piss.

Erm, yes they were - in most of those situations a simple pass would have done, but they tried something special when it wasn't strictly required. I'm sure most of those players could have just laid the ball off as soon as they got it. Didn't have to try a fancy flick (just luck at the Jay Jay flicks, for instance)

The flicks got them away from an opponent and kept possesion. Nani controlled the ball away from an arsenal player, and kept possesion while doing this despite being kicked from behind.

If there had been no one around him and he had just flicked it up for himself and done the 'Maradona 7' in the centre circle for no reasno then that would have been needless showboating just to take the piss. What he did was not, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

...that would have been needless showboating just to take the piss...

Which Nani didn't do and didn't happen in that vid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kaimera wrote: »
    Which Nani didn't do and didn't happen in that vid.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with this post....

1. You agree with me and you post is in agreement.
    2. You are being sarcastic and are saying what Nani did was needless showboating to take the piss as oppsed to the tricks and skills used by the players in the vids.
    3. You are being sarcastic and think both Nani and everyone in the vid was acting the jerk.
    4. You agree with me and didn't notice my sarcasim in saying the players in the vid were taking the piss cause if Nani has to be seen as taking the piss, then all those players do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Personally i love that stuff.

For pure piss taking, does anyone have a link to the old Leeds clip? About 2 or 3 minutes of the whole team actually just toying with the opposition, great stuff.

There are far bigger problems with the game then showboating. It can look ridiculous and be very very frustrating when these things dont come off, when a simpler option was available, but when they do, its worth it. Okocha was a god at that stuff. Almost always had an end product too rather then fannying around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Tauren wrote: »
    Pathetic. You don't know me at all so you can't claim to know my motives at all.

It was never a headbutt. NEVER. From EITHER PLAYER. at the very worst, yellow cards for both players in those circumstances. It was two players squaring up to each other.

You are just desperately looking for a way to deflect attention from the petulent behavior of Arsenal.

See how i can make sweeping statements regarding your motives without know you at all too.

Sorry to have judged you. Lets just say thats what Fergies at and why 99% of united fans are whinging today.

It was a headbutt. Gallas stood still, Nani headbutted.

I however don't care. I just think its hilarious that United fans cant even be happy in voctory, still whinging about something. ye won and won well, should be very happy this morning. Good chance ye'll win the cup now. Nice for yis to win a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

As a United fan I'm in two minds about this one, slightly edging towards defending Nani.

Nani was facing his own goal, with the ball at an awkward height. Yeah it was a little cheeky heading the ball more then once to control it but he's entitled to do it. The Rules of the game were kept intact. Is it really more than that?

This is all down to humiliation and respect. Fair enough. I've been there myself. Asca Og vs Tullow 1999 U17, got nutmegged and then the player turned around, ran back to me to run at me again...funny guy, they were 6-1 up. Didnt take it well and left a mark on his baby cow.

But what Nani did was it really that bad? What was it 4 headers, a knee and then he turned around to take on two players. Got the crowd going, and at the end of the day whats it all about? Fans paying hard earned money to be entertained...

Also I wonder if Ronaldo did that on Sat would Fergie have said anythin?

Headbutt my ass... Gallas kicked out at Nani, as did 3 other Arsenal players. Come on now lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

gosplan wrote: »
    Way one: professional - boot it out for an Arsenal throw]

LOL... LOL a professional should boot the ball away in that circumstance and concede possesion! Then all the lads down the park on a sunday could be professional.

Someone needs to stop watchin that john smiths ad!!

Edit: Here we have showboating, unprofessionals and one professional :D
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YmotHoVDOLs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

however don't care. I just think its hilarious that United fans cant even be happy in voctory, still whinging about something. ye won and won well, should be very happy this morning.

Nail on head. Never happy! This thread seems to be mostly united fans giving out for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

Qs wrote: »
    Sorry to have judged you. Lets just say thats what Fergies at and why 99% of united fans are whinging today.

It was a headbutt. Gallas stood still, Nani headbutted.

I however don't care. I just think its hilarious that United fans cant even be happy in voctory, still whinging about something. ye won and won well, should be very happy this morning. Good chance ye'll win the cup now. Nice for yis to win a trophy.

Pushing your forehead into another gusy forehead is not a headbutt. Its an aggressive gesture yes but u clearly have never seen a headbutt if u think that was a headbutt.

Im a United fan and Im not maonin, I find it sad that people are moanin about showboating thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Tauren wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are getting at with this post....

1. You agree with me and you post is in agreement.
    2. You are being sarcastic and are saying what Nani did was needless showboating to take the piss as oppsed to the tricks and skills used by the players in the vids.
    3. You are being sarcastic and think both Nani and everyone in the vid was acting the jerk.
    4. You agree with me and didn't notice my sarcasim in saying the players in the vid were taking the piss cause if Nani has to be seen as taking the piss, then all those players do too.

Late night :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Deliberate taunting of the opposition is unprofessional behavior that should not be condoned by those within the game. Just as diving, high two footed tackles, taunting of opposition fans are all considered unprofessional. There would be uproar in the US if he did the equivalent in an NFL / NHL game.

Fans are stupid for the most part, what they want or consider acceptable is kinda irrelevant.

says the liverpool fan, pretty sure throwing a coin back at the crowd jamie carragher style must be considered taunting of opposition fans! that was quite funny!

american sports is ALL about showboating!!

and diving is not the same, diving is bad (unless by jurgen klinsmann and he's allowed)... you gotta love the way torres has stopped diving because "stephen doesnt like it".

nani made a fool of arsenal, fair play to him... though michael carrick was really taking the piss yesterday, every pass just made arsenal look BAD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mad_Max wrote: »
    LOL... LOL a professional should boot the ball away in that circumstance and concede possesion!

Yes - it's not rugby!! Everyone gets in position and defends.

When in doubt and all that.

Then all the lads down the park on a sunday could be professional.

I'm not sure you even understand what you're saying here. of course they could - passing instead of taking a shot that isn't on, lumping it down the pitch when needs be, and kicking it into touch when under pressure.
    Someone needs to stop watchin that john smiths ad!!

I can happily say what John Smith's ad?

So, you would argue that when Fergie talked to him afterwards, he said - 'well done lad, the obvious thing to do.'

Just curious.

Edit: Ah, just watched that now. Funny but not really relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

lloyd, lets face it, if we were watching barnsley liverpool and at 2-1 down in the 94th minute the barnsly left mid flicked the ball up and controlled it on his neck it would be HILARIOUS!!!! you'd get such a slagging by association... its funny...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

by the way: can I now nominate this for worst thread of the year

jank wrote: »
    Nail on head. Never happy! This thread seems to be mostly united fans giving out for the sake of it.

I think thats hilarious coming from a guy who had a big rant at United fans in this thread.

Course we're happy, we caught a great team on a bad day and absolutely destroyed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Pushing your forehead into another gusy forehead is not a headbutt. Its an aggressive gesture yes but u clearly have never seen a headbutt if u think that was a headbutt.

aye, but i think he means in the context of the game, that refs will view that as a headbutt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I'm kind of puzzled as to why this is an argument.
    Surely its more unprofessional to see a player lash out against someone takin the piss. In my view the person winding them up is justified if they are going to get a reaction like that. I applaud anyone that has the balls and skill to try the stuff that nani did during the match, in the same way that i'd point and laugh if he fell over and made a tit of himself.

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    aye, but i think he means in the context of the game, that refs will view that as a headbutt

Absolutely I agree. but to sit there as a fan and call it a headbutt is very silly. We're not refs so we can call it like it is!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ditpoker wrote: »
    lloyd, lets face it, if we were watching barnsley liverpool and at 2-1 down in the 94th minute the barnsly left mid flicked the ball up and controlled it on his neck it would be HILARIOUS!!!! you'd get such a slagging by association... its funny...

You're just trolling me over here because I pointed out another outrageous preflop error in your play over there. Petty imo. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think thats hilarious coming from a guy who had a big rant at United fans in this thread.

Eh two topics COMPLETELY unrelreated.

Anyway are you saying non united fans are not allowed to post in united threads?

Its amazing how some people never see the irony when its right in front of them...:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Why isn't it ok? You've earned the right by playing incredibly well. You've been kicked all game, and the Arsenal captain said he hoped to beat the arrogance out of United before hand. Its what gets the crowd going, great skill. And it was appropriate for the situation. Do people want to take all the skills out of the game like Giles and Dunphy?

If you want to be bored, go watch cricket (with all due respect :D !). If you want to be entertained, watch a football match. And when you are entertained...dont whine about it. People are NEVER happy.

Nani...skillz unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

as an Arsenal fan I didn't like it myself. Only wish one of the players had got a proper tackle in on him :)

It was showboating just for the sake of it. Nani wouldn't be doing that in a close match. Also rightly or wrongly, you make yourself a target for a bad tackle by doing stuff like that.

We can all sit on the sidelines and say that players shouldn't react but its very different on the pitch.

jank wrote: »
    Anyway are you saying non united fans are not allowed to post in united threads?
    Yeah thats exactly what I'm saying. Sure isnt it clear as custard?

"I think thats hilarious coming from a guy who had a big rant at United fans in this thread" this is code for "I like custard and nobody only Untied fans are allowed post in United threads"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

vorbis wrote: »
    as an Arsenal fan I didn't like it myself. Only wish one of the players had got a proper tackle in on him :)

It was showboating just for the sake of it. Nani wouldn't be doing that in a close match. Also rightly or wrongly, you make yourself a target for a bad tackle by doing stuff like that.

We can all sit on the sidelines and say that players shouldn't react but its very different on the pitch.

I completely disagree! Tricks like what Nani did have an important place in football when it comes to retaining possession, making that half yard of space for yourself and/or beating the man. With Hoyte up his ass, what should he have done? It all started with Van der Sar trying to flick the ball up and volley it, which was subsequuently flicked on by Anderson. The ball arrived at Nani at head height, while he was running at full speed towards his own goal. He kept full control of the ball and as soon as Hoyte fell over behind him, he brought it down and turned. Where's the problem here and what should he have done differently?

As for the rest of the crap from the Arsenal players, we all know about their discipline problems and Gallas' petulent kick at Nani showed just that. Funny how the 4-0 victory and sending off of Eboue have been completely overshadowed by this one incident!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I was watching 'You're on Sky Sports' last night and all they talked about was Nani's 'showboating and Gallas's kick!
    All this sensationalism in english fooball is ridiculous...they just don't talk about football anymore. Of course I expect there to be some discussion on contentious issues but at this stage it has completely swamped any forum for actual football discussion.

In the wake of the Utd v Arsenal game football fans, esapecially english football fans, should be talking about important issues, the most pertinent being - 'can Rooney in fact play up front on his own'?...(because apparently it's set in stone that he can't:rolleyes:)...instead we have the same crap regurgitated in every show of it's ilk - just replace the last contentious issue with the latest one and there's your show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

vorbis wrote: »
    It was showboating just for the sake of it. Nani wouldn't be doing that in a close match. Also rightly or wrongly, you make yourself a target for a bad tackle by doing stuff like that..

you make yourself a target for a bad tackle?! profesional footballers were talkin about here, the fact that they would target out a guy regardless of the circumstances is very bad form imo! (roy keane/haaland anyone? may be less serious but targeting is targeting at the end of the day!)

Advertisement