Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4-5k to spend on a second hand car

Options
  • 17-02-2008 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm thinking of buying a new car and am willing to spend 4-5k (possibly a bit more if the car is worth it). I was thinking of a E36 316 or 318 but have sort of gone off them as I believe you are paying for a brand name to a certain extent and have also been told that they're not all that nippy due to their weight.

So I'm back at level 1 again and have no idea what I should go for. Was thinking of possibly going for an Integra since you seem to be getting a better whack for your money, but am wary as so many of them will have been driven hard. I'd like something with a bit of go to it and I'm not very worried about age. I'd rather stay away from tiny hatchbacks as well if I can. It'd have to be 2 litre or below though due to insurance reasons.

Any suggestions? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Based on the info given your choices are pretty much

BMW 318i, Mazda MX-3 V6 , 323 V6, Mistubishi FTO, Prelude 2.0i, Integra Si, Civic Vti (youd be hard pushed to find a decent honda vtec that hasnt been trashed by some skanger for that price though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

i have a mint 318is for sale at the minute. slightly above your budget but worth it in my opinion

link to carzone add,clickityclick!

i cant see you getting a decent jap for 4-5k where as if you push it out to about 6 you would have a nice solid german car. as you said they are not the fastest things but by no means slow.absolutly buckets of poke imo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Thanks for the replies lads. I might have to look at a few hatchbacks after all! Doesn't look like my budget is big enough to go for a saloon/coupe with a decent engine. That or wait until my budget is big enough :o.
    i have a mint 318is for sale at the minute. slightly above your budget but worth it in my opinion

link to carzone add,clickityclick!

Sorry mate, just don't see myself going for one of these any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you could get a decent Alfa 156 for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

would you be interested in renault megane coupe '03 1.6. looking for €5500.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Or how about a bug-eyed Toyota Celica 2.0 GT ? ... thought i had it mentioned in my earlier post

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    you could get a decent Alfa 156 for that money

True enough, never thought of these. Definitely within my price range due to the massive depreciation. Might take a look into it.
    wex96 wrote: »
    would you be interested in renault megane coupe '03 1.6. looking for €5500.:)

Don't think so. Cheers anyway.
    C_Breeze wrote: »
    Or how about a bug-eyed Toyota Celica 2.0 GT ? ... thought i had it mentioned in my earlier post

Didn't think a decent Celica would be within my price range either but seems they are :D. Will have a look into these as well, could easily be a winner. (Although the bug eyed look is not great)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lidbd

If you want to take a quick look of this thread. icon10.gif

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055237522

Pictures available on request. :)

Anyway,

Best luck with your new car.icon7.gif

lidbd wrote: »
    If you want to take a quick look of this thread. icon10.gif

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055237522

Pictures available on request. :)

Anyway,

Best luck with your new car.icon7.gif

Cheers. Not the sort of car I'm looking for.

I'm not really looking for a car straight away. I'm looking for suggestions and then I'll go off read up a bit about a few of them and then start looking. Probably won't buy for another month or so.

Advertisement