Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on shoes, and general stuff..

• 17-02-2008 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Hi all, first post on this forum. I've recently decided to try this year's marathon. I'm a total running novice (although I do walk about 15 - 20k a day and I'm not *completely* unfit). I'm gonna start running in a week or two but need some advice on what shoes to get. I was talking to my brother who does a lot of long-distance running in Sweden and he told me the best places will put you on a treadmill and record your running before suggesting what shoe style best suits. Anywhere like that here does anyone know? Or just where is the best place to buy? I'm afraid of being sold crap by some eejit in Marathon sports or something who has even less of a clue than I have.. seen it happen I don't know how many times with photography stuff..

Also, is the training schedule on the Dublin marathon site a good one?

And hello, by the way :) Will probably be bugging you all quite a bit..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Deliaquad

Hi sinead,

well done on deciding to take up running, you won't regret it. A well-fitted pair of suitable shoes are the single most important equipment, I have found http://www.amphibianking.ie/ to be excellent in the attention they give to helping you select the correct shoes. They have a small run track and they video your running gait, which will determine the extent of the support in your shoes you will need. They're based in Bray, and can be very busy on the weekend, so if possible call them to arrange a fitting appointment for during the week if possible. BTW I have no connection with the store, other than being a customer who was delighted to receive expert attention when choosing running shoes. As it turned out, the shoes they recommended for me were the cheapest in their store- I guarantee that won't be the case when dealing with the slack-jawed assistants of most large chain sports stores.

Good luck,

Delia Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hi and welcome! I assume you are thinking of Dublin? 20k a day of walking sounds huge - you should be well able for the training with that kind of background.

AK in Bray has a great reputation but I think there is also a running shop on Parnell Street in Dublin. Avoid the chains as you'll end up with god knows what and good trainers are vital.

As for schedules the "get you round" program on teh Dublin website doesn't look great, from a quick read. There are dozens of plans out there - google "marathon training plan", have a read and pick one you think you can manage from a time and comfort perspective. If in any doubt come on here and there are loads of experienced runners who will happily read through any schedules you find and advise. I do know that the schedules on teh Runners World website are very good, and lots of people swear by Hal Higdon. Also check out teh "Furman Institute" for thier programs.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Thanks! That's exactly the type of thing I needed :D I'll check out Parnell st on Wednesday and Bray next week...

Thanks again... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 runaround

One bit of advise I'd give you is to ensure you try on a few different types. Any store you go into and they tell you "This is the shoe for you!" are typically badly stocked stores trying to get rid of a particular brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I would second Deliaquad about amphibianking... but with one word of caution (which was very clearly explain to me by the guy in the shop).
    They will recommend a couple of shoes that best fit based on running gaist and your biomechanic.... but you have to "feel" the shoe and decide yourselft based on that.

In my case, they gave me a choice of 3 shoes, i bought one pair (Saucony)....but i never liked running with them:o They are grand for few miles, then i get pain in my foot.

After few months, bought a new pair of Asics Gel Nimbus 9 (the Kayano was on their list of recommendations, but found the shoe to wide at the heel) and love them..Did the Dublin marathon with them, did not get any blisters and lost only one toe nails:)

This "feel" element can only be assessed by yourself by trying out the shows on real runs...The bad news is that you loose €140 or so if it does suit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

911sc wrote: »
    This "feel" element can only be assessed by yourself by trying out the shows on real runs...The bad news is that you loose €140 or so if it does suit!

Amphibian king used to offer, and I think still do, a two week money back guarantee for this type of circumstance, i.e Shoe doesnt feel right...Just run on an indoor track or try them on a treadmill (not ideal) for a few days, and if they aint right, you should have no probs changing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Yes, they did/do and indeed mentionned that to me when i bought the shoes

I did try the shoes on threadmill (thougt i hate this thing) for few 5kms sessions. And all was fine, so i then hit the road (so could no return them) and started to get pain in one of my foot around 10/12kms mark.

Again, not to mislead anybody, i have found Amphibianking's services and advices very good. Just did not work for me, but not of their fault...

Not easy to get the right pair of shoes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Sinead, in the first place your note has spurred me to join the forum after months of lurking. Last year, much like yourself, I set out to run a marathon (I ended up running two) and here is my sixpence.

Without being too happy-clappy your first marathon is very much a personal and emotional journey as well as a physical one. You really must look on the experience as a very positive one. I personally started out thinking it was all about physical fitness and as a result I found the training tough going and I would resent much of it.

My attitude changed based on three events, I got the right technical gear, shoes, shorts, shirts and socks, I read a few books on the matter and I ran in the BUPA run in the Phoenix park.

The run was very important, as I had never run with a large group before (the training being solo), the result being that I got a great buzz from the event. I also found (much to my surprise and yes ego) that I was not the only silly looking ejit out there. After the race my attitude changed because the reason I wanted to run changed, namely that I wanted to run for the fun of it rather than I had to keep to the schedule.

Finally what I learnt over the year:
    1. You will feel a lot worse for the whole day if you cop off your run for the sake of a bit of a lie-in or quick drink after work. It is simpler to do the run and yes you will feel better when you get moving.
    2. It is a unique chance to explore where you live and even better again if you travel about for work as you can explore there too. Remember to look about you as you run and not just at your feet.
    3. Go see a sports therapist after few weeks training and have a chat with them, show them your stretches and let them give you a once over. It is better than having to go to them for treatment later.
    4. I printed off my training schedule and yes laminated it and then stuck it on the fridge. After every run I could strike out a session. It was a great reminder on how far I had come since starting.

Best of luck.

Advertisement