Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously silly attitude towards J-walking! And other road issues.

Options
  • 17-02-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I'm sorry people but I REALLY need to vent on the issue of people just throwing themselves infront of cars to cross the roads in Galway, if you did this in America you'd be fined and up in court for 'j-walking' (not crossing at designated crossings) WHY THE HELLL can't they bring it in here??? I'm Irish but I've had enough.

I'm tired of driving in the city and people just walking out slowly accross the roads-even when cars are coming close at full speed. They even grin when they're doing it!!!!!!

I got so fed up the other night I scared a guy so much I dont think he'll do it again! I was driving to the Knocknacarra Dunnes on the main road towards the roundabout and he was a real arsehole, laughing as he was doing it...just slowed down as I was coming so I'd naturally have to stop for him, y'know? So I continued and stopped 1ft stort of driving into him, the laugh was the other side of his face I tell you!!!

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!?????!!!!!! People will get killed!!!!!!!

Also, the Grattan road parking??? WHAT IS THE STORY THERE!!!! 3/4 OF THE LEFT LANE IS TAKEN UP BY PARKING??? Theres even a white line to section it off, leaving about 2 meters for driving out towards Salthill??? Thats even more retarded!!!!! FOR GOD SAKE GALWAY COUNCIL, PULL YOUR FINGER OUT AND PUT A DOUBLEYELLOW LINE DOWN BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT!
    I must take a photo today to show you what I mean, it's a joke!

I know I sound like a b1tch but Ive had too many near misses in the past 2 weeks and I have had ENOUGH....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Then there are the parents who stop traffic by pushing their kids in their pushchairs out in front of moving traffic...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Launch a petition to create pedestrian crossings every 50m on every road..we've only had three added onto the newcastle road in the last few years

I normally cross the road with care, but then i see motorists deliberately accelerating when going through red lights at pedestrian crossings or even totally ignore them (left filter lane, old seamus quirke to seamus quirke)
    there isn't enough safe places to cross, have you tried being a pedestrian at a roundabout?

What's the story with all the illegal parking in galway?
    Double yellow lines mean no parking 24 hours a day, Pedestrian footpaths are exclusively for pedestrian use 24 hours a day and not for abandoning motor vehicles
    but do motorists respect either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

I know what you mean about the buggies, Jesus, lastnight in Salthill, two girls about 21 years old, had a buggy outside the waterfront hotel, where the traffic flies out from the roundabout and she just threw the child out (hate kids but anyway)when the motorist beeped, she waved as if to say 'HII!!!!' drunk maybe? who knows......

There are too many ignorant people out there, seriously!!! Ha! I even had a guy argue with me in the video shop last night because I was 'skipping the queue' there were two tills, 2 lines and he queued up in the middle, I stood beside him to continue the line on the left and he started yelling at me in the shop........now ask yourselves, whats more logical? One line going back and right out the door and taking up the shop for two tills? Or, 2 lines for two tills taking up a little space so people can walk around? It's like the Lynches Castle ATM room..... or the BOI on Bridge Street, line goes accross the road so people can't get by when theres arrows saying please queue along the wall....Jesus people! HAHA!!!! Free Caffeine shots of coffee and / or anti depressant pills should be free and obligatory for all Galwegians every morning......

I actually just e-mailed the council about the Grattan Road thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

word on the street (well more the footpath) is that theres an underground movement started in galway called the "J-walk for Justice" group.
    they get their members to deliberately walk out in front of oncoming traffic, in the hope of highlighting the need for more pedestrian crossings in galway.
    should a member get knocked down, they shall be held up as an example of somebody who sacrificed their lives for the good of others-a martyr if u will.
    their method is mad,but not half as crazy as their original idea-suicide bombing-which entails strapping bombs to yourself, and standing in the middle of a congested roundabout/pedestrian crossing-roaring the need for justice for those who must walk, and blowing themselves up until they are nothing more but scrambled eggs.
    ahh, no im only pulling yer codge-og's, da pedestrian crossing thang is bad though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I know how u feel. They come out of nowhere and go so slow. U would think they would run across the road but no go so slowly. Old people and handicaps cant. But anyone with legs can run across, but no.

lisajane wrote: »
    handicaps

What classy phraseology. ~Glower~

lisajane wrote: »
    I know how u feel. They come out of nowhere and go so slow. U would think they would run across the road but no go so slowly. Old people and handicaps cant. But anyone with legs can run across, but no.

I know, totally, so what cant the government make it illegal, then lets see the smile on the other side of their faces when the guards take out their fine book! *CRIES* Galway people are enough to make you suicidal sometimes!!!!! I SWEAR, THEY DONT DO IT IN DUBLIN!!!

OH! And dont get me started on the whole Dock Road thing either...... people flithering down the right lane going backinto town when everyones in traffic to leave town and then sliding into the top of the line when they get to the division...... people who let them in are worse!!!!!!! PUT BOLLARDS DOWN YOU COUNCIL LAZY ARSES!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

I know, totally, so what cant the government make it illegal, then lets see the smile on the other side of their faces when the guards take out their fine book! *CRIES* Galway people are enough to make you suicidal sometimes!!!!! I SWEAR, THEY DONT DO IT IN DUBLIN!!!

Jesus, where on earth do you be driving in Dublin??!

Ok, so I'll admit I've never little experience of driving in Galway - most of my time in Galway is as a pedestrian, and I'll say that certainly around the city centre so many of the roads or pedestrianised (or bloody tiny) that it's very easy to get in to the mindset of not thinking about cars.

But believe me, everyone jaywalks in Dublin. Maybe not in the suburbs so much, but try driving round the city centre :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I know people who put up speed as they see potential jaywalkers. I'm sure the reasoning is that nothing beats a fear-induced adrenaline surge to hurry people up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mr A.

what about drivers slowing down a bit in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I'm sorry people but I REALLY need to vent on the issue of people just throwing themselves infront of cars to cross the roads in Galway, if you did this in America you'd be fined and up in court for 'j-walking' (not crossing at designated crossings) WHY THE HELLL can't they bring it in here??? I'm Irish but I've had enough.

Being American, and having lived there for 30+ years, I've never known anyone actually fined for jaywalking. San Francisco (my home for the last 8 years) is far worse on jaywalking (and, granted has a good 80-90 pedestrian deaths a year, though that's mostly from drunk driving and crazy homeless people). And Berkeley (or any US university town for that matter) is basically a pedestrian free for all.

This town has shockingly few pedestrian crossings honestly. Add a lot more, and people might get in the habit of at least crossing where the road is marked to cross (even if they don't necessarily wait for the light).

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Mr A. wrote: »

+1. There are at least as many muppets driving cars in Galway as on foot.

Having said that, coming back to town from gigs late at night I've often been gobsmacked at the drunken fools coming out of the Radisson who will blithely wander into the middle of Lough Atalia Road in front of a fully loaded van. The Darwin effect in action.

The drivers need to slow down. The amount of times I've been almost knocked down by some muppet showing off is unreal. Take, for example, walking into Gleann na Ri. I was crossing the road, as normal, when some muppet speeds in, does a skid, almost takes me out and nearly topples his own car over.

There just aren't enough pedestrian crosses in Galway. Hell, and the ones that are there just aren't working. I've come across 10 that do absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Het Sensitive_soul,

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments but it is unfortunate that you used the word "retarded" in your title.

Rather insensitive of you and it's an insult to retarded people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Het Sensitive_soul,

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments but it is unfortunate that you used the word "retarded" in your title.

Rather insensitive of you and it's an insult to retarded people.

Retard is a word and not a group of ppl, and although is commonly used to refer to ppl with a mental disability is doesnt always, and in this case refers to an underdeveloped attitude imo

As fir the issue at hand, yes this is somthing ive noticed about galway alot and have commented on too to friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I'm tired of driving in the city and people just walking out slowly accross the roads-even when cars are coming close at full speed. They even grin when they're doing it!!!!!!

I got so fed up the other night I scared a guy so much I dont think he'll do it again! I was driving to the Knocknacarra Dunnes on the main road towards the roundabout and he was a real arsehole, laughing as he was doing it...just slowed down as I was coming so I'd naturally have to stop for him, y'know? So I continued and stopped 1ft stort of driving into him, the laugh was the other side of his face I tell you!!!

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!?????!!!!!! People will get killed!!!!!!!

Also, the Grattan road parking??? WHAT IS THE STORY THERE!!!! 3/4 OF THE LEFT LANE IS TAKEN UP BY PARKING??? Theres even a white line to section it off, leaving about 2 meters for driving out towards Salthill??? Thats even more retarded!!!!! FOR GOD SAKE GALWAY COUNCIL, PULL YOUR FINGER OUT AND PUT A DOUBLEYELLOW LINE DOWN BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT!
    I must take a photo today to show you what I mean, it's a joke!

I know I sound like a b1tch but Ive had too many near misses in the past 2 weeks and I have had ENOUGH....

Hope you don't ever have to drive down Dominick street at 2am because i'm sure you'd run someone over :p
    The amount of times the fire brigade try and go up there and people actually stand in the middle of the road jeering them and they won't move, pisses me off so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I have no idea what you are whining about. This has never happened to me and I make steady progress in traffic while ensuring the safety of those around me. If you don't like the j-walking and your observation while driving is poorly developed to the point were pedestrians catch you out, then go and live somewhere else (Canada? South America?).

Galway is the way it is because the people are the way they are - it is not up to you to mount a campaign to change the culture of a city and its habits.

And get some driving lessons.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

Mr A. wrote: »

If Galway traffic slows down any more, it really will come to a full stop.

The traffic planners need to introduce seperation - ie, seperate a pedestrian way from the road way: therefore both pedestrians & motorists are equally favoured. But at the moment it's just stupid and dangerous.

Not sure how that can be done in the mess that is Galway city, after all I am not a traffic planner. They should earn their pay for a change, and do something constructive.

And for the record, I avoid going to or through Galway city unless visiting an elderly aunt, or visiting someone in hospital.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what you are whining about. This has never happened to me and I make steady progress in traffic while ensuring the safety of those around me. If you don't like the j-walking and your observation while driving is poorly developed to the point were pedestrians catch you out, then go and live somewhere else (Canada? South America?).

Galway is the way it is because the people are the way they are - it is not up to you to mount a campaign to change the culture of a city and its habits.

And get some driving lessons.

'cptr

Well maybe I am cultured enough to notice Galway has a severe problem, Im not from Galway originally anyway so I notice it more! My driving's perfect thanks, passed my test first go and been told Im excellent ;) Thanks! So get your head out of your arse weirdo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

OH us backward people who dont live in dublin:rolleyes:
    Please save us from ourselves. If you dont like it down here outside of the pale, then shag off back there . Thankyou and good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You sure? Why not drive down O'Connell St in Dublin. People push their buggies out in front of traffic to force traffic to stop. Mad but it works

Ah there always has to be people trying to pick a verbal fight!! Typical!!!!! Typical.... Im not going to bother stooping to that level, thank you and goodnight yourself!

Anyway, back to everyone else that's being civil on this thread, Im not saying Dublin is perfect, but you dont see people lying all over the roads at 2 a.m. Law enforcement needs to be maintained properly or people will be really hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I SWEAR THEY DONT DO IT IN DUBLIN. What level is that then?

Whatever pal....
    goodnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ah there always has to be people trying to pick a verbal fight!! Typical!!!!! Typical.... Im not going to bother stooping to that level, thank you and goodnight yourself!

Anyway, back to everyone else that's being civil on this thread, Im not saying Dublin is perfect, but you dont see people lying all over the roads at 2 a.m. Law enforcement needs to be maintained properly or people will be really hurt!
    Well maybe I am cultured enough to notice Galway has a severe problem, Im not from Galway originally anyway so I notice it more! My driving's perfect thanks, passed my test first go and been told Im excellent ;) Thanks! So get your head out of your arse weirdo!

Ironilicious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement