Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned for calling 13 texts in 3 minutes malicious

Options
  • 17-02-2008 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

was banned for potentially libellous remark sorry but if the company know about this issue and let it continue without appearing to take action then it can surely be called maliciuos?

this has been ongoing for quite some time and many people including myself have brought it to the attention of three who have not taken any action on the issue! so i consider my "malicous2 remark correct and not libellous towards three!

and i would hope i treat all phone providers equally so do not agree with the remark about me waging some personal war against three!

if any other company sent text messages in this annnoying harrassing way they would be fined or banned!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I love these threads, I really do.

From the Mobiles & PDAs Rules Of Engagement Thread:

"No (potentially) libellous material. I don’t care if you think [insert operator] is crap, I don’t want to see a five page thread on it and get a solicitor’s letter along with it."

Further down the same page:

"Failure to abide by any of these rules, or Muppetry in general will result in a swift (where possible) nuking/banning. No appeal will be entertained."

So far, so straightforward. You, either inadvertently or deliberately, broke the very explicitly delineated rules of the forum and got banned. I fail to see why anyone's supposed to care, unless you're now going to turn this into a discussion about the Great Mod Conspiracy and how we're all in the back pockets of $Company_Name.

Then you add "if any other company sent text messages in this annnoying harrassing way they would be fined or banned!" which is, well, great. It's got bog-all to do with boards though, so what is the relevance? Unless Devore has now taken over Comreg and dovetailed it into the boards.ie World Takeover Campaign business plan...

Just a heads up... if you're discussing ban, it's usually a good idea to find the link to the thread for people to see. You can get it by logging out and looking at the forum in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

thread in question:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055238391

not the first time this poster has been banned from the forum, ref last feedback thread on the matter:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055190604

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

foggy_lad wrote: »
    but if
    Walt Disney made millions from films based on those words.

Speculation wont help your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think the mods have been pretty vocal of late with regard to people starting threads of this nature.
    The ban was deserved in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Meh you walked into that one. Clearly 3 has technical problems, but calling it malicious?!

Ban deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

PM the mod saying you've looked up the word malicious and now realise your error and I'm sure they'll lift the ban.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats great for you mate, but you seem to have taken an incorrect turn and mistaken Boards.ie for the small claims court. Sorry about that, no harm done.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

[INSERT]Amusing Lolcat Picture[/INSERT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

three send me 13 texts giving conflicting information and this issue has been highlighted to them before yet they continue to allow these annoying text alerts to be sent,

this can clearly be called malicious as they are sending texts which cause annoyance and stress to customers and although informed of these texts they have not done anything to prevent them being repeatedly sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's not malicious, it's more incompetent. If they did it specifically to annoy you, then it'd be malicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

cellphone_cat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

But they might be. After all, they know he's crusading on boards. Maybe they're out to get him banned.

Or maybe the OP just has a persecution complex.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Or maybe the OP just has a persecution complex.

Speaking as someone who has had to correct several of the op's falsehoods on the mobile forum, I think you may not be too far wrong there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fysh wrote: »
    .....unless you're now going to turn this into a discussion about the Great Mod Conspiracy and how we're all in the back pockets of $Company_Name.....

shhh, DeVore said previously he'd site ban the next person to say boards.ie is in with a certain mobile operator that uses a number for its name (due to certain people in the Broadband forum creating this crazy stupid theory)

Lets hope somebody says we are....

/me awaits site ban for said person

This ban was just and the op clearly didn't follow the charter, it sucks but thats life

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Cabaal wrote: »
    shhh, DeVore said previously he'd site ban the next person to say boards.ie is in with a certain mobile operator that uses a number for its name (due to certain people in the Broadband forum creating this crazy stupid theory)

Ah yes. Are we allowed to discuss the upcoming merger between boards.ie and Lurpak, though? (I assume we are, although it may be a bit inconvenient if I'm wrong)

Man, I'm looking forward to that one. Fake butter and internet morons, together at last!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fysh wrote: »
    Are we allowed to discuss the upcoming merger between boards.ie and Lurpak, though?

Good god man!
    You could blow this deal for us as the contracts haven';t yet been signed, Lurpak could drop this deal at any moment now!

Ah now, calm down. I have it on good authority that Flora are itching to get in on some of the hot bulletin board/butter action that's on offer here, so at worst discussing the deal will net us all more money at the end of the day...

And if that fails, well, we can always go and see if Hellmans are interested in some sort of merger option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Foggy_Lad, does *anything* happen to you that you don't complain about?
    Christ, who told you life was a bed of roses and if you get stuck with a thorn everyone wants to hear about it?

No one is interested and no one cares.
    Especially in this forum.

Maybe you should mosey off to a less moderated board?
    Or start your own blog?
    Perhaps you'd become some sort of comic/cult icon?

Give it a shot.
    Either way, just go away and stop complaining!

You're the most depressing and tedious person I've ever come across.

Maybe develop a real life friendship with someone who'll teach you that there's more to life than b!tching about the bad things and trying to make everyone else miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Meow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Bad choice of words from the OP + constant annoying posts with factually incorrect information = about time he got banned (again).

Bring back rep, so we can all karma++ this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Talliesin wrote: »
    PM the mod saying you've looked up the word malicious and now realise your error and I'm sure they'll lift the ban.

PM yourself and say i realise my error in giving crap advice. The ban was because malicious is a potentially liable word when published whether by mistake or not.

It's all good now!

After the OP's looked up the word malicious, borrow his dictionary and look up satire.

For the love of God, can we forget about the idiotOP's inability to read issue and get back to the far more important issue of discussing whether we want boards.ie to go for the merger with Lurpak or Flora? Never mind Microsoft and Yahoo, this'll be the big business news for the year, and I want in on the action while there's big bucks to be made!*

*: There may not in fact be any bucks, big or small, to be made**.

**:This may be due to me Making Things Up Again. Neither I nor boards.ie accept any responsibility for any fiscal stupidity you incur as a result of reading the aforementioned Things of a Made-Up Nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Talliesin wrote: »
    After the OP's looked up the word malicious, borrow his dictionary and look up satire.

After I have wiped my arse with the dictionary use it to look up the word deadpan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they know their text alerts dont work yet they still send them causing people stress annoyance and even costing some people credit, as far as i knew this was malicious not just annoying as they are allowing the annoyance to continue unabated?

as for boards and lurpak best of luck with it cos i love those little butter portions, i love opening them and putting them on seats in cafes

It all depends.

If you are posting this garbage because you are actually perfectly intelligent but want to make people scream "My god, how can there be people so ****ing stupid and completely oblivious to anything beyond their own immediate gripes" then that is malicious.

Otherwise it's not, even though the effect is exactly the same.

Similarly, if someone in 3 sent these with the express intention of annoying you, or with another intention but either full knowledge that it would cause annoyance or blatant disregard to this then it was malice.

If they had a malfunction then it falls under the "bad things happen" category. Not malice.

It could possibly be malice if they were operating equipment that could potentially malfunction in an annoying way with no good reason for having and operating such equipment.

I find it hard to see an argument for saying that mobile phone companies have no reason for operating SMS equipment.

Considering that such malfunctions generally do not improve the image they give to their customers (i.e. it is harmful to the company and with no compensating benefits) we have the following possibilities.
    1. 3 deliberately annoy their customers for no good reason - malicious.
    2. 3 deliberately annoy foggy_lad - malicious.
    3. 3 risk annoying people for no good reason because mobile phone companies have no good reason for operating mobile phone equipment - malicious.
    4. foggy_lad really isn't thinking this one through.

That seems to cover pretty much all the possibilities (
    I don't think the prize is behind doors 1, 2 or 3
    )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

feedbackkitteh128483354489062500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

foggy_lad wrote: »
    they know their text alerts dont work yet they still send them causing people stress annoyance and even costing some people credit, as far as i knew this was malicious not just annoying as they are allowing the annoyance to continue unabated?

as for boards and lurpak best of luck with it cos i love those little butter portions, i love opening them and putting them on seats in cafes

Foggy, seriously... could you not calm down a little and think before these things before you post?

Recieving texts causes stress? Thats almost as silly as the "fight da powa" thread about the huge threat to society that heatons represented to you, refusing you a refund by not refusing you a refund.

Advertisement