Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toughest areas of ireland?!

Options
  • 17-02-2008 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

ok i want to carry out a survey on the toughest areas of Ireland, what area/s of the country do ye think is the roughest/toughest etc ie in Limerick city you have moyross southill ballynanty weston prospect etc dublin you have parts of tallaght,ballymun etc cork has knocknaheeny.just want to see wat every1 else thinks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

(Wicklow) Fassaroe ,Newtown, Kilcoole,Rathdrum (Dublin) Coolock , Clondalkin , Drimnagh , Crumlin , Finglas , Kilbarrack , Darndale , Dolphins Barn , Ballybrack , Ballybough , Shankill, Walkinstown, Blanchardstown, Ballymun , too many to mention!!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    ok i want to carry out a survey on the toughest areas of Ireland, what area/s of the country do ye think is the roughest/toughest etc ie in Limerick city you have moyross southill ballynanty weston prospect etc dublin you have parts of tallaght,ballymun etc cork has knocknaheeny.just want to see wat every1 else thinks!

Dave, are you incinerating that limerick is tuff loike?

I notice you hide your location!! we will find out wher u live and burn u out!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

Enright wrote: »
    Dave, are you incinerating that limerick is tuff loike?

I notice you hide your location!! we will find out wher u live and burn u out!!!

im from limerick, just put in a few more of limerick coz i know the places to be bad..love to see pics of these tough places that are mentioned! go on to youtube and type any of the places i mentioned and you might get an understanding of what im trying to get accross!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

These threads are beyond tedious at this stage. Some areas are bad. That's it. It's impossible to quantify 'toughness'.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I suppose if you had lived all your live in each and every location, then you could give an accurate answer. Otherwise...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Any council estate anywhere in the country will have its bad apples.

But there is a certain type living in these areas that gives the whole area a bad name. Usually the older people in these areas are the finest and live in fear of these scum.

The scum are usually unemployed, go to the bookies every day, are on the labour, drink and smoke, usually have alot of tatoos, support the ira and hate the queen, think its ok for their son to ring them from the garda station after getting arrested for another robbery, hates the gards and think the council should fix a leaking tap in their house.

They generally dont live very long. Usually die from 45 onwards and alot die after benders on the drink or drugs. They consume so much in a 3 day period that their body just gives up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Good observations there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Dalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

phasers wrote: »
    Dalkey

Notorious for burned out cars. Beware of the above place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

would have to be dunsink i think, far 'tougher' than anything limerick has

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

utick wrote: »
    would have to be dunsink i think, far 'tougher' than anything limerick has

There ya are now, YOU THINK! You dont know!!

I've been up to Dunsink a few times and never had a problem there, i also live near Coolock/Darndale and commute through it daily and never had a problem many of my friends are from there too and they certainally arent ''scum'', i'm not going to make assumptions on what the media reports on Limerick, i'd rather make my own opinion on a place before i go talking ****e on boards:)

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I get around Dublin a lot. It's easy to judge an area on a quick drive through and I dont mean toughness wise. Generally if I go into an area or etate and the road and pathwways are chock full of rocks,old bikes,rubbish and burnt out cars you can kind of guess that the adults living there don't give a s**t,so the kids more than likely won't either.Personally,I'd rather live in a box in the middle of a field than inflict my children with the scum who just don't care. There are no tough area's,just places where dysfuctional people rear kids to be just like they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

Based on experience (in the Republic)..

Limerick; Southill, Weston, Prospect, Ballinacurra, Lynwood, Fairview, Moyross, Kileely, Ballynanty, Kings Island Rathkeale, Newcastle West, Abbeyfeale

Dublin; Darndale, Rialto, Shankilll, Dolphins Barn, Drimnagh, Drumcondra, Tallaght, Sheepmoor, Neilstown, Kilcronan, Kilmahuddrick, Deansrath, Greensfort, Harelawn, Ballymun, Crumlin, Lucan, Bluebell, Finglas, Mountjoy, Inchicore, Balbriggan, Cabra

Cork; Gurranabraher, Knocknaheeny, Blackpool, Mayfield, Farranree, Togher, Youghal, Midleton, Buttevant

Galway; Ballybane, Castlegar, Castlepark, Tuam, Ballinasloe

Plenty more dotted around the country in the smaller counties as well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

con89 wrote: »

Dublin; Darndale, Rialto, Shankilll, Dolphins Barn, Drimnagh, Drumcondra, Tallaght, Sheepmoor, Neilstown, Kilcronan, Kilmahuddrick, Deansrath, Greensfort, Harelawn, Ballymun, Crumlin, Lucan, Bluebell, Finglas, Mountjoy, Inchicore, Balbriggan, Cabra

Would love to know more about your experiences in the 'hard' streets of Drumcondra...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Too late there Con. Survey was eight years ago.

;)

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Would love to know more about your experiences in the 'hard' streets of Drumcondra...

And which bit of Tallaght? Fettercairn? Or leafy Bancroft?

con89 wrote: »

Limerick; Southill, Weston, Prospect, Ballinacurra, Lynwood, Fairview, Moyross, Kileely, Ballynanty, Kings Island Rathkeale, Newcastle West, Abbeyfeale

Cork; Gurranabraher, Knocknaheeny, Blackpool, Mayfield, Farranree, Togher, Youghal, Midleton, Buttevant

Galway; Ballybane, Castlegar, Castlepark, Tuam, Ballinasloe

Plenty more dotted around the country in the smaller counties as well.....

*Kings Island, Rathkeale* (two different place)

Are you a fan of The Walking Dead, Con?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

whiskeyman wrote: »

Sure even the dogs won't walk around alone down beside the bishops palace :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Dublin 12 is like Hell's Forge, anything which doesn't perish within it's firey depts is tempered into indestructibility.

• Advertisement

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Dublin 12 is like Hell's Forge, anything which doesn't perish within it's firey depts is tempered into indestructibility.

Ballyer has more than one Department of Firey? Also, what's Firey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Sorry lads, nothing wrong with the areas mentioned, in fact some are lovely by day (most aren't sh**holes at all), just from what I've heard, can be (the odd time) dodgy at night

Looking at the smaller counties it seems everybody is more or less on the same parallel & so I was astonished at the huge & clearly visible social gaps between the "rough" & "posh" parts of (in particular) Limerick & Dublin.

Per capita they are the two richest counties in Ireland, but still, they are both home to possibly some of the most disadvantaged communities in the country.
    Cork & Galway would also be wealthier than most other counties.

e3eb5444f2857cd88344251e5f5147ca.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Nothing tough about most of the areas mentioned tbh. Sitting around on your arse, drinking, going to the bookies, getting high, having a pitbull, spending your dole money on tattoos, shouting instead of talking and dragging your kids up instead of raising them isn't tough it's scummy. Tough is getting up every day for work, paying your taxes, looking after your area and neighbours, paying your bin charges instead of fly tipping etc... Most of these "tough" areas are infested with cowards who don't contribute to society in any meaningful way at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Zombie thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement