Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost wheel lock nut key thing. What to do?

Options
  • 17-02-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I lost the key nut thing for getting off the lock nuts on my car wheels. Anyone know how to go about getting a wheel off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Have car towed to tyre shop and they will be able to get it off (they have master keys to about every locking nut out there) or get a call out.
    Or call the manufacturer of the locking nut and order another "key",I did this thru my ford garage,took a few weeks tho...but i didnt have a flat at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Just find some one with the same wheels, as the lock nut should be the same, any you can use theres, and then replace the lock nuts with new ones

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Larger nut and a hammer, or bring it down to a tyre place and they'll break it off. Can damage wheel though. Not sure are those nuts unique, can you buy a replacement that will fit? (I thought this was ridiculous but a mechanic friend of mine keeps a few spares about)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just find some one with the same wheels, as the lock nut should be the same, any you can use theres, and then replace the lock nuts with new ones

I'd doubt this is true. If so then any would be thief could just buy a set of similar locking nuts and take your alloy wheels using that key.

OP a tyre centre will have to drill the locking nut to prise it off, just be careful as they could possibly damage the wheel hub in the process which will be very expensive to put right.

If you can wait and they are original car manufacturer's locking nuts then the main dealer might be able get a new key for you. I know mine are originals and came with a seriel number so that the main dealer can supply a new key if needed from the manufacturer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement