Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

(real) Guitar Heroes Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I just picked Hetfield over Kirk Hammett cos James actually writes 95% of the songs, and Kirk just plays what he's told, Maybe adds some notes to the Solo's Etc. Also, Het Is Not Just A Chunky Power Chords Riffer. Study His Rythm Playing AND Consider He Sings At The Same Time. (Check Out Sad But True, And The Unforgiven Chorus Rythhms For Example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

1 Steve vai for pure technical skill and showmanship

2 Joe satriani for bluesy riffing

3 Randy rhoads for the classical rock crossover,its not as wanky as yngwie malmsteen

4 Rory gallagher,for feeling,theres no one to touch the man,brilliant

And if there was a greatest bass player award-Billy sheehan,if you havnt seen him play,youtube him now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Alex ifeson
    Martin Barre
    Johnny Fean
    Todd Rungdren
    Steve Hillage

rythm guitar and vocals at same time? - Paul Stanley

ciao' amigos...Baggio......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I can't believe I'm the first to mention Eric Johnson.

Also, the hugely under appreciated, John 5.

Yeah, John 5 is a really good guitarist, not just for his shredding skill, though you would never guess that he could shred so well when he played with Manson, with the exception of Panorama...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Lou Reed - check the solo on 'Heard Her Call My Name' (Velvet Underground, White Light/White Heat album).

It's half feedback, half bliss. Best solo I've ever heard, trounces Clapton and all those journeymen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ladies and gentlemen, i give you, tom morello!!:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

ladies and gentlemen, i give you, tom morello!!:

Sorry, I really think Tom Morello is overrated. Its all crazy effects he uses. He just changes them for each song and re-uses the same riff over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

I liked Morello's experimentations, even if they weren't always pleasant to the ear. The important thing is that they fit with Rage's music. I didn't get that same fit with Audioslave, however. :)

Here's a prodigy that many people don't seem to know about - Joe Bonamassa - he opened for BB King when he was 12!

I love it when guitar heroes cover other guitar heroes :)

While not as blazingly fast as some of today's guitar heroes, he can play anything with strings, in any style, and laid the foundation for a whole generation of prog-rockers - Mr. Steve Howe:

Another foundation-layer, already mentioned

The amazing Mr. Beck again (how does he DO that with only a thumb, finger, and whammy bar??) and axe-mistress Jennifer Batten:

And some more Joey, just because you deserve the very best. Watch what he does with the volume knob in the beginning. (He's also quoting some Beck there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I have been listing to this Austrian guy called Bob Kabek on Youtube for a bit.

He's got some pretty sweet moves, nice style and great tone. See what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGujRQh1FBU

i want to mention someone that was responsible for the launching of a new wave of music, and sadly is no longer with us, mr kurt cobain:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Neil Young is a great player with a unusual jagged style all his own, here is is dueling with Steven Stills as CSNY at Big Sur on the epic Down by the river

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Rustar wrote: »

Here's a prodigy that many people don't seem to know about - Joe Bonamassa - he opened for BB King when he was 12!

Probably the future of Blues Rock and an amazing player!!I'm off to see Joe in Copenhagen on the 8th of March! Have been listening to his stuff for about 2 years now and can't say enough good things about him!! A prodigy in every sense of the word!!

I first caught ear of him playing Led Zeps 'Tea for One' with Jason Bonham and its incredible to hear! Now 30 , he's been around quite a while, starting out as a teenager in the band Bloodline with the sons of Miles Davis,Robbie Krieger and Berry Oakley! He then broke away and set up on his own recording 7 albums with the latest "Sloe Gin" being the No.1 Billboard Blues album for 10 weeks!

Citing Rory Gallagher's 'Irish Tour '74' as one of his main influences this guy will be around for a long time to come so check him out!!!

Sloe Gin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Baggio wrote: »
    Alex ifeson
    Martin Barre
    Johnny Fean
    Todd Rungdren
    Steve Hillage

rythm guitar and vocals at same time? - Paul Stanley

ciao' amigos...Baggio......

Hey Baggio , do ya like the 'Tull?? Barre is an exceptional player!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ziltoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ziltoid wrote: »
    Shawn lane
    +1. The dude was a legend when he lived, but his music will live on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

he is? but he sounds like a cork man (change all these to past tence if you want, im not going to) acts like a cork man, and he has a pub names after him in cork-with "pride of cork" written beside it!

Im from Finglas, sound like Im from Foxrock (apparently) and I live in the US. Im still a Finglas man tho :)

Cork claimed him alright, he spent a lot of time there, but hes a Donegal man, ballyshannon born and bred..

http://www.goingtomyhometown.com/

Not uncommon for people to think hes from Cork th. I thought so too until someone set me streight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Motherpuncher

Bill and Brent from mastodon kick arse !

Im from Finglas, sound like Im from Foxrock (apparently) and I live in the US. Im still a Finglas man tho :)

Cork claimed him alright, he spent a lot of time there, but hes a Donegal man, ballyshannon born and bred..

http://www.goingtomyhometown.com/

Not uncommon for people to think hes from Cork th. I thought so too until someone set me streight

alot of people consider him from cork, the same way people know adam clayton to be irish, even tho he was born in england etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

If anyone mentions Zakk Wylde, they should be shot! I'm just trying to pre-empt it... All he can really do is ****ing pinch harmonics and the same repetitive licks over and over. How to ruin a good song with pinch harmonics:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Mmmm.....pinch harmonics....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

gary moore,pat mc manus,rory gallagher,scott gorham.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Parsley wrote: »
    If anyone mentions Zakk Wylde, they should be shot! I'm just trying to pre-empt it... All he can really do is ****ing pinch harmonics and the same repetitive licks over and over. How to ruin a good song with pinch harmonics

F*cking annoying alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

How the **** can you say that about zack , its his ****ing style , you might not like it , but millions do.

you want guitar heros? well here you go, in one video we have:

slash, joe perry, toxic twins, richie sambora, eddie van halen...and more that i just cant pick out coz the video is too much fun!

EDIT: haha billy idol looks so funny the way the video embedded itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

How the **** can you say that about zack , its his ****ing style , you might not like it , but millions do.

As a "guitar hero" he's WAYYY overrated. Just my opinion. Millions buy f*cking sh*t music too, doesn't make it good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

Can we pick tag-teams?

Izzy & Slash- hard rock riffmeisters.
    Angus & Malcolm- same thing only better!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

boycey wrote: »
    Can we pick tag-teams?

Bert Jansch & John Redbourne - Bert & John, Pentangle

boycey wrote: »
    Can we pick tag-teams?!!

kirk hammet and james hetfield

quadrouple threat: Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, Ed King, and Steve Gaines (lynyrd skynyrd)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Jeff Healey

Advertisement