Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Awards 2008 Winners

Options
  • 17-02-2008 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

• Best National DJ - Ray Foley Today FM
    • Best Regional DJ - Keith Cunningham Red FM
    • Best Irish Band - Aslan
    • Best Irish Male - Duke Special
    • Best Irish Female - Cathy Davey
    • Best Irish Pop Act - Westlife
    • Best Irish Album - Paddy Casey with Addicted to Company
    • Best Irish Live Performance - The Blizzards
    • Lifetime Achievement Award - The Saw Doctors
    • Best Irish Folk Traditional - Damien Dempsey
    • Best International Live Performance - Muse
    • Best International Male - Bruce Springsteen
    • Best International Female - Amy Winehouse
    • Best International Album - Arcade Fire with Neon Bible
    • Best International Band - Radiohead
    • Humantiarian Award - Mary Donohoe
    • Most Downloaded Song - Mundy and Sharon Shannon with Galway Girl
    • Hope for 2008 Meteor Award - Ham Sandwich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That Cathy Davey one seems like a bit of a weirdo...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wats-da-story?

I'm glad the Blizzards won. I've seen them live - they really deserve the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

callaway92 wrote: »
    That Cathy Davey one seems like a bit of a weirdo...:D

Good album though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Aslan are bleeeeeding deadly man!! :D:D

Re: The Blizzards, is that for consistently performing well or is it just one concert? (Sorry for sounding like a thicko!)

Well done to Cathy Davey and Ham Sandwich, mmmmmmmmm sandwich, im hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i say booooooo to ham sandwich.

be nice and give the award to the kinetiks

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

fight like apes should have been in there somewhere :mad:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Eire 4Ever

Best Regional DJ - Keith Cunningham Red FM
    Best Irish Band - Aslan
    Best Irish Male - Duke Special
    Best Irish Female - Cathy Davey
    Best Irish Pop Act - Westlife
    Best Irish Album - Paddy Casey with Addicted to Company
    Lifetime Achievement Award - The Saw Doctors
    Best Irish Folk Traditional - Damien Dempsey
    Best International Live Performance - Muse
    Best International Male - Bruce Springsteen
    Best International Female - Amy Winehouse
    Most Downloaded Song - Mundy and Sharon Shannon with Galway Girl

I was happy with these wins

Dara O'Briain was a terrible host

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Mrs Roy Keane

I'm glad Galway Girl won

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

i was at the awards and dara really had a hard time - tough crowd to say the least.
    Ham sandwich gave the funniest acceptance speech.
    And the best performance (live) was The Koronas.

Worst performace was the The Cake sale - overhyped crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

dazftw wrote: »
    fight like apes should have been in there somewhere :mad:

:D Too right! But then again, the meteors are hardly renowned for recognising real talent are they?? :p

I see Paddy Casey's PR team bought him another award then...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

seaner wrote: »
    i was at the awards and dara really had a hard time - tough crowd to say the least.
    Ham sandwich gave the funniest acceptance speech.
    And the best performance (live) was The Koronas.

Worst performace was the The Cake sale - overhyped crap.

Firstly, it's "The Coronas". Secondly, it wasn't live. Mime-tacular.

thanks for the spell check.
    And no - they didn't mime. You're wrong.
    I was there I know.

thanks for the spell check.
    And no - they didn't mime. You're wrong.
    I was there I know.

Yes - they did. You're most certaintly wrong.
    I was there too, with them. I play keyboards for The Coronas. I wasn't playing at this because I wasn't needed as it was a mime. Nearly all live TV shows are mimed, not as a matter of choice but as a matter of necessity. The late late show for example, couldn't mix a live show if they're life depended on it. There are of course exceptions to this rule with shows like Jools Holland etc

Fact: Every single act at the meteors played with a live vocal and a backing track except for the saw doctors who played a full live set. I have my suspicions that 'Scouting For Girls' mimed the vocal too - but I could be wrong on that count.

yes i believe you play keyboards for them, sure thats why you're on here slagging them off. Makes complete sense.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

yes i believe you play keyboards for them, sure thats why you're on here slagging them off. Makes complete sense.

Makes more sense that your drivel post as he wasn't slagging them off, merely pointing out that these performaces were all mimed. Although it was fairly easy to spot.

I'm not slagging them off at all. That's why I clearly stated that the mime wasn't a choice. I have no problems with bands miming on Irish TV. Seriously, if you leave your sound in RTEs hands your gonna regret it.

You got their album? you can check it for my name if you dont believe me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

I know when Hybrasil did the Tubridy show a few years back it was to a backing track with just the vocal done live on the night.
    In fairness to the people working at RTE/TG4 etc. I think alot of it is down to the fact that the budgets for these shows are relatively small (or maybe the budgets just getting spent in other areas if ye know what I mean).
    Its part of the reason why for the most part TG4 and RTE shows Like WE:TV and the Last Broadcast etc. just do accoustic performances rather than a full live band.

You're totally right, apart from the budget part. They have plenty of money, they're just not spending it right. I played with Gavin Glass on the Pat Kenny show on radio 1 for the new years special and was astounded by the amount of money they were wasting. All of their equipment is top of the range stuff and they have a seemingly endless supply of it. It still all sounded ****e though. The Coronas on the late late show was the same. The engineer only has to mix a vocal and a backing track ffs - still managed next to no level on the backing track and a big boomy vocal with a huge 10 second reverb tail.

Do you know hybrasil personally? They supported us in Mullingar last Thursday. I didn't catch the whole set, but what I did hear sounded amazing

iamnothim wrote: »
    You're totally right, apart from the budget part. They have plenty of money, they're just not spending it right. I played with Gavin Glass on the Pat Kenny show on radio 1 for the new years special and was astounded by the amount of money they were wasting. All of their equipment is top of the range stuff and they have a seemingly endless supply of it. It still all sounded ****e though. The Coronas on the late late show was the same. The engineer only has to mix a vocal and a backing track ffs - still managed next to no level on the backing track and a big boomy vocal with a huge 10 second reverb tail.

Do you know hybrasil personally? They supported us in Mullingar last Thursday. I didn't catch the whole set, but what I did hear sounded amazing

The budget statement was me being diplomatic! ;)
    But basically youv hit the nail on the head in regards to Irish tv shows.

As for the Brasilians, Iv been with them pretty much from the getgo.
    Started out as the engineer/roadie and ended up putting out the album and singles for them when things didnt work out with FIFA Records.

The lads said friday night was cool and that there was a great crowd there see The Coronas.
    As it happens it looks like The Coronas and Hybrasil will be sharing the stage again as as far as I know they have both been lined up to play the Wicklow Arts Festival at the end of May.
    If ye see an auld fella going around the venue with his mouth dragging along the floor looking at all the young ladies.......that'l be me! :D

lordgoat wrote: »
    Makes more sense that your drivel post as he wasn't slagging them off, merely pointing out that these performaces were all mimed. Although it was fairly easy to spot.
    Ok firstly let me get this right...when you say 'mime' are you talking about vocally? Becuase I have about 3 perfomances from the night on video myself, and they were 100% not miming. I will upload these to you tube if you want just to prove a point.

Yes perhaps their instruments weren't actually being played but their vocals were live.

Or when you say 'mime' are you accepting the fact that they sang live, but their instruments were basically there for show. Becuase even if this was the case, they still put on a great show. The front man gave more energy in that performance than the rest of the acts put together.

Point taken about RTE, this is quite evident with the likes of the Late Late show. Any act basically sounds ****. A few weeks back when the Sugar Babes were on (think it might have been the Toy Show), their vocals were dreadful. The girls actually sang well....but it sounded as if the only speakers that were working were the monitors...and all we could hear was a muffled version of them singing. Given that all RTE sound engineers had to do was mix their live vocals with a backing track, it basically says all you need to know about their level of professionalism.

Anyway i'm sticking to my theory...and i'm raging now cuz i only deleted the Meteors from my sky plus 2 days ago!!! Also i didn't record them ..i have recordings (live from the RDS) of sinead o connor, boyzone, westlife and paddy casey.

• Advertisement

also i'm from WICKLA, and think Hybrasil are crap. ONLY MESSING :)
    the lads are doing a great job, and I really hope they make it big in 2008.
    They've some great songs, and i went to their performace down in the Leitrim , think it was during last summer...can't remember...they were deadly.

also i'm from WICKLA, and think Hybrasil are crap. ONLY MESSING :)
    the lads are doing a great job, and I really hope they make it big in 2008.
    They've some great songs, and i went to their performace down in the Leitrim , think it was during last summer...can't remember...they were deadly.

You cant remember.......then you were no different than anyone else there on the night.
    The place was full of drunkards, full I tellz ye! :)

ha ha - too true too true! Great performance though (from what I can remember!!!)

check out this link...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=EVfiWLDCNiE

seriously...i would think from watching this the lads are playing their instruments. I mean the drummer is banging away good-o on his drums...no signs of mutes or anything?

I just think that the RDS is set up for live performances so why wouldn't they have just got everyone to play live?

Regarding the whole "live v backing track" debate I didnt see this years Meteors so I cant comment on them.
    I did however see the Pussycat Dolls performance on either last year or the year befores Meteors and it was truely shocking.
    Iv heard better sound at a GAA kareoke night.
    Maybe it sounded ok in the hall on the night (though I doubt it) but through my tv speakers it really was one of the worst sounding performances Iv ever heard.
    Heads should have rolled for that and if the Pussycat Dolls do infact live up to their diva billing then Im sure some did!

yup - mimed backing track and a live vocal.
    Every single act at the meteors played with a live vocal and a backing track except for the saw doctors

Also - no need to worry about the sky recording or youtube videos, the whole thing is on RTEs website in relatively high quality. http://www.rte.ie/tv/widescreengeoblock/av_20080216.html

Hybrasil are a great act, definitely gonna watch out for them in future... *potters off to add them on myspace

yup - mimed backing track and a live vocal.

Also - no need to worry about the sky recording or youtube videos, the whole thing is on RTEs website in relatively high quality. http://www.rte.ie/tv/widescreengeoblock/av_20080216.html

Hybrasil are a great act, definitely gonna watch out for them in future... *potters off to add them on myspace

Not a bother boss, as I say looking forward to seeing them both on the same stage at the Wicklow Arts Festival in May, should be a good un'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

A few weeks back when the Sugar Babes were on, their vocals were dreadful. The girls actually sang well....but it sounded as if the only speakers that were working were the monitors...and all we could hear was a muffled version of them singing

ive heard them sing live, and they're shyte,

this was about 5 years ago, (creamfields 2002) so they could have gotten a lot better i suppose,

and well done to ham sandwich, im from kells, so it was nice to see them win

Not a bother boss, as I say looking forward to seeing them both on the same stage at the Wicklow Arts Festival in May, should be a good un'.

Just noticed this morning as I was pulling all the photos off my DSLR that I've a fair bunch of the hybrasil guys in Mullingar if you've any use for them?

Just noticed this morning as I was pulling all the photos off my DSLR that I've a fair bunch of the hybrasil guys in Mullingar if you've any use for them?

Sound as a pound, their Bebo page is the site I look after most of the time so I'll post them up there if thats ok with you?
    I'll pm you my email address.
    Cheers for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What a joke. Aslan win best band... for what? Did they even do anything in 2007?
    The Meteor Awards don't showcase good acts, they just pick whoever's Irish and relatively well-known and that'll do. Case in point: Carly Hennessy - who? She won best female artist a few years ago despite an album that sold 300 and something copies and a PR campaign that lasted a few weeks back in summer 2002. Why did she win? Because she's Irish, she's a female singer, there was nobody else to choose from.

And yeah, Paddy Casey is fukking atrocious.

Advertisement