Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A380 Experience!

Options
  • 17-02-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

http://www.a380.singaporeair.com/content/interior/index.html

It didn't even occur to me that these were flying to Europe yet but when I checked my flight details to NZ via Heathrow and Singapore on the 25th March, the a/c type was A380! Should make the journey more interesting :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Lucky b*stard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Melion wrote: »
    Lucky b*stard

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Lucky b*stard
    +2.

Any free tickets up for grabs? We all know you're just going for the flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

+ 3

just seen that link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Just been informed that my parents are coming back from Singapore on one. I don't like them anymore. And they can get a bus back from the airport too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

There better be poker on that entertainment system...and mario! I hope there is reasonable access for economy pax to some of the other areas....god imagine blagging an upgrade, i wonder would the g/f wear a fake engagment ring when we check in? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

That's quite cool. Any idea where your seat is located (upper, lower level)?

... ...It'll never be as good as the 747-400! *evil laugh*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

A friend of mine flew on one from Singapore to Aus last month. It was only when she told me when / whom she flew with I copped on ... I asked her what it was like......... her reaction was ' it seemed the same as any other aeroplane , just nice a new ! '

She was in Y class.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

pclancy wrote: »
    god imagine blagging an upgrade, i wonder would the g/f wear a fake engagment ring when we check in? :)

Nice thinking there!!!

Unfortunately the Y experience is not that different than any other aircraft in their fleet. Apparently it is quieter in the cabin than other aircraft. The improvements where are concentrated in J and F. Perhaps the next 2 customers (Emirates and Qantas) will spruce up their Y cabin.

It should be a good experience anyway, the KLM 747 was a bit of a dissapointment interiorwise between comfort and entertainment. The only other widebody i've been on was a China southern 777 and their in flight videos were all in Chinese except for one, never ending Australian film that I dont' think has ever seen light outside of Asia!

Do Argos carry cheap rings that could pass off as engagement? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There better be poker on that entertainment system...and mario! I hope there is reasonable access for economy pax to some of the other areas....god imagine blagging an upgrade, i wonder would the g/f wear a fake engagment ring when we check in? :)

This has never worked for me! I've done it a few times :)

Despite being on a 747 from Frankfurt to Singapore and my partner showing off her "diamond" ring to any employee near (i had even called singapore a week before pretending to be my brother :eek:) the plane was empty. Less than 50 people on board and they wouldnt upgrade us, not i was too miffed i just wanted somewhere comfy to sleep!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Hehe,

I'm off to singapore in june so must use up some frequent flyer miles on an upgrade :D

Mythago wrote: »
    Hehe,

I'm off to singapore in june so must use up some frequent flyer miles on an upgrade :D

I think it is the 1430 (approx) departure with SQ is planned to be a A380 from 18th March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

would love to have a flight on one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Lucky you are leaving on the 25th. 2 days before the chaos of Terminal 5 opening. The reconstruction of Terminals 1 and 2 has started, to become East Base. I am not sure if Aer Lingus will be moved but I think they are safe where they are for the moment.

Just beware on your return, things may not be as they were when you departed LHR.

Loads of movement will be happening just to confuse the traveller. An example is that the BA shorthaul will move to Terminal 5 on March 27 but the BA 757's will operate out of Terminal 3. Please do not ask me the logic behind this.

Nice one! Heathrow is mad enough as it is i'm glad i'm missing that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

As far as I am aware Gates 1, 3, 5 in Terminal 3 are A380 ready.

Willie Walsh has just been on TV here in the UK saying the reason behind the problems at LHR is the fact the BAA own all the major airports thus giving no competition. He thinks, and I tend to agree, is that one should be sold. A bit of competition and maybe things may improve at LHR.

One point being discussed at the moment is during strong winds use both runways for take off and landing. At the moment it is one for take off and the other for landing. In high winds the gap has to be increased between aircraft landing causing delays and holding for stands. Gatwick has only one runway and high wind weather conditions have no effect.

Foggy43 wrote: »
    One point being discussed at the moment is during strong winds use both runways for take off and landing. At the moment it is one for take off and the other for landing. In high winds the gap has to be increased between aircraft landing causing delays and holding for stands.
    That is the proposed 'mixed mode operation'. I think it should allow approx 100 more movements per day thereby increasing LHRs capacity and allowing other airlines to use LHR under the new US/EU Openskies.

I agree with the idea that BAA have a monopoly. If LGW was operated by a different company there would be competition between the 2 airports to attract airlines and encourage pax to use their facilities.

Here's how an airport should be run...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Changi_Airport

Amazing place, the amount of stuff to see and do for an airport is incredible. A stroll around the gardens, swim in the pool, a kip in the transit hotel and another long haul flight that day doesnt seem so bad...

Jts on website is well worth a look, some cool animations and stuff on the virtual tour...won't open for me now for some reason :D

http://www.changi.airport.com.sg/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Less than 50 people on board

that is your problem need a full plan before they start moving ppl to business/first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Lucky b*stard

+4

We managed to book seats on the upper deck of economy where the layout is 2-4-2 in a window and aisle seat so should be a cool trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Here's how an airport should be run...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Changi_Airport

Amazing place, the amount of stuff to see and do for an airport is incredible. A stroll around the gardens, swim in the pool, a kip in the transit hotel and another long haul flight that day doesnt seem so bad...

Jts on website is well worth a look, some cool animations and stuff on the virtual tour...won't open for me now for some reason :D

http://www.changi.airport.com.sg/

+1 for that - best a'port in the world imo.

Anyone been through their duty free? Might get a laptop if they're well priced but can't find any prices online...

Advertisement