Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timebelt on Lancer

Options
  • 17-02-2008 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Saw this car Friday. High mileage. Was told car was recently serviced, not by garage but by sellers friend. Timebelt hasnt been replaced yet. Seller says cars in perfect condition. Bit worried that belt will need to be replaced, dont mind having to do that, but not at price being asked. What you guys think.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=867407

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

I owned a Lancer in past.
    no info about NCT. you may need to change water pump along with timing belt. Altogether around 500 from garage.
    But you can bargain more on price, Lancer loose value quickish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Nct,d unil 09. I was thinking more about 4k for this, think think it would be worth more especially if Belt needed replacing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nct,d unil 09. I was thinking more about 4k for this, think think it would be worth more especially if Belt needed replacing.

considering it needs the belt done ASAP and to br honest, if theres no proof it was serviced recently i would budget for a service too. that way inleast you can plan further services from your start point.

i'd say go to him and wave 4k in cash in front of him and you will get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Before I buy it I will be having car checked by a mechanic, I want to agree price before I get meacanic to check, and meachanic should be able to know if timebelt needs to be done or not. Yes I agree that I have no proof that service was done, but there was bit work which was obvious, 4 new tyres, and new cd player. But I think 4K would be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It should be on it's third time belt by now, you need to be looking at replacing it ASAP if there is any chance it is still on it's first one. Unless it was replaced very recently a mechanic will not be able to tell if it needs changing or not, the things can just snap without any obvious warning signs an it will be an expensive repair bill if that happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement